CPAP question

34TigerLily

Since my DH began traveling with a CPAP machine, we have always stayed in a minisuite or a full suite. Has anyone stayed in an inside, obstructed view, or balcony cabin with a CPAP machine? If so, where is the outlet located in which you plug it? Do you need an extension cord?

Since my DH began traveling with a CPAP machine, we have always stayed in a minisuite or a full suite. Has anyone stayed in an inside, obstructed view, or balcony cabin with a CPAP machine? If so, where is the outlet located in which you plug it? Do you need an extension cord?

outlet on the desk.

Probably best to bring a cord. Maybe 6-10ft. Sometimes you can request one from Stewart but they don't always have them.

We take a plain extension cord and run it from the desk to the bedside. Or you can take an international converter and use the plugin under the bed. We never stay in suites and have never had an issue. We both use one. Request our gallon of water on our cruise personalizer before we embark. Steward brings it right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest you bring a non surge protected cord to extend to the CPAP. The balcony cabins in all of the ship's we have been on have the outlets next to the desk. Although I must say that we have never moved the bed to see if there is anything behind it. A cord doesn't take much space. I hope your husband has a good uninterrupted sleep on the cruise.

On the Royal/Regal for a Deluxe balcony the outlet is on the desk which on the opposite side from the bed. I used a 6 foot power strip (non-surge protected) and the cord from the CPAP machine, I had to sleep on the side of the bed close to the window/door. Be sure to indicated you need water on the cruise personalizer, we have always found it our cabin when we board.

We take a plain extension cord and run it from the desk to the bedside. Or you can take an international converter and use the plugin under the bed. We never stay in suites and have never had an issue. We both use one. Request our gallon of water on our cruise personalizer before we embark. Steward brings it right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info. We are elite and I never knew there is a plug under the bed! His CPAP machine is 110 - 225V so will I just need a US to Eur plug? I have plenty of those but I don't have a converter because I have never needed one.

Thanks for the info. We are elite and I never knew there is a plug under the bed! His CPAP machine is 110 - 225V so will I just need a US to Eur plug? I have plenty of those but I don't have a converter because I have never needed one.

Yes, just the plug. There is also an outlet behind the TV (non Royal class ships), but of course that is also on the other side of the room.

As noted, just a plug adapter, all new machines automatically switch from 110 to 220 as needed.

If you want to order distilled water you can, but it isn't necessary. Tap water is perfectly acceptable for a week or so. The only reason you should use distilled is to prevent calcium/mineral build-up in the chamber. If you do get any build-up, just increase the amount of vinegar:water from 3:1 to 5:1 or so. One of my patients went on a cruise and didn't realize he could order distilled or use tap, so he went dry during the cruise. He was an unhappy CPAP user (especially after I told him tap was OK).

Be sure to pack an extra mask cushion and some duct tape (in case you spring a leak ;)).

On another board here, a poster says that he no longer need an extension cord, because the power cord for the CPAP is the same standard cord used by many appliances, including computers and printers. He just goes and buys a much longer one and packs it with the machine. Making sure to try it first to make sure it works...EM

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2444793

Edited by Essiesmom

I keep an extension cord attached to my CPAP so it's there when we travel. I plug it in (on a cruise ship on the desk) and I can read in bed and charge my Kindle or my iPhone at the same time. During the day I unplug it and lay it on the CPAP out of the way. I've used tap water on cruises for years. It's distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On one cruise, our steward--without us even asking--taped the extension cord to the carpet for us so it could remain plugged in at the desk at the opposite corner of where the machine was located! We bring our own extension cord and it's quite long as, especially in older hotels, you never know how far away an outlet may be.

Something else to consider. I talked with my Dr. and she said travel without my CPAP for a week or two should not be a problem, just resume treatment when you get home. If snoring results it may be a problem for your cabin mate, but ear plugs are easy to pack.

Something else to consider. I talked with my Dr. and she said travel without my CPAP for a week or two should not be a problem, just resume treatment when you get home. If snoring results it may be a problem for your cabin mate, but ear plugs are easy to pack.

Your doctor is correct. There may even be a residual from the pressure that keeps you from snoring as much for a day or two.

I hate to disagree with this statement but I will. Unless you know the person who is using the CPAP, suggesting that they don't need it is very bad advice. I am a former CPAP user (no more sleep apnea after a massive weight loss) and would NEVER have considering going anywhere without my CPAP (even for one night).

Please whoever asked the original question, if you are even considering not bringing your CPAP, please check with YOUR doctor, not the Cruise Critic doctors.

I don't use a CPAP because of snoring, I use it because I stop breathing when I am asleep. If we have a power outage I have to sit up all night. I think most CPAP users have sleep apnea, and it's medically necessary to use it.

I don't use a CPAP because of snoring, I use it because I stop breathing when I am asleep. If we have a power outage I have to sit up all night. I think most CPAP users have sleep apnea, and it's medically necessary to use it.

Yes, for many it is medically necessary. Plus as the DW of a cpap user, fifteen days of snoring is not my idea of a romantic vacation.

There are some CPAP machines that you can choose to use distilled water or convert the machine to not using it. Don't know what machine you have but that may make your packing easier.

There are also travel CPAP machines that never need water at all-but they require a prescription and may not be covered by insurance if you already own a cpap machine.

Both Princess and Holland America will give you a gallon of distilled water for medical purposes for free. But a gallon of distilled water is cheap even if a cruise line won't provide it for free.

Do not listen to people who do not know you that say you don't need it for a trip. Really? Your health and getting a safe and good night of sleep are priceless.

Hope you have a great cruise and some GREAT sleep

With a high degree of medical probability, obstructive sleep apnea is what killed Justice Antonin Scalia. His C-PAP machine was on a night table, next to his bed, and had not been turned on the night he passed. I would never use the term "treatment" as a use for a C-PAP machine. This machine literally breathes for the person using it.

I totally agree with the last poster.

I am a very compliant CPAP user-I am NOT overweight but have unusual airway anatomy that has relegated me to the "beast" machine.

I cannot fathom going without my "sustenance" machine especially on an expensive vacation. If I go even ONE night without my CPAP I feel horrible the next day. Usually that occurs on call in the hospital or on a red eye long haul flight

Time to change doctors if that one advised you to "go without it". Really BAD advice. And yes, I AM a physician. That is why I am shocked about that poor advice.

I keep an extension cord attached to my CPAP so it's there when we travel. I plug it in (on a cruise ship on the desk) and I can read in bed and charge my Kindle or my iPhone at the same time. During the day I unplug it and lay it on the CPAP out of the way. I've used tap water on cruises for years. It's distilled water.

If the ship's water is distilled, why do they offer bottled distilled water? One answer to that is they also take on potable water in their home port. The process of desalinating the water is very expensive and time consuming. Most, if not all ships take on water on embarkation day. How long that water lasts depends on the ship but it does not go through the same process.

As a frequent cruising, CPAP user, Princess is great at providing distilled water if requested in your pre-cruise personalizer, and I have never had a problem in getting an extension cord for my CPAP when I request it from my cabin steward upon greetings the first day.

Usually he/she brings a long utility type, three prong extension cord that has to be plugged into the desk outlet.

Peaceful dreams on your cruise,

I did a cruise in October and November and requested distilled water for my machine. It was not in the cabin when I got there but our room steward brought it along with a heavy duty extension cord. We were on the Royal class ships and there was a plug by the desk as well as up by the TV. I put the cord under the bed leading up to the TV plug and had no trouble worrying about tripping over it.