Air to Sea

fpcruiser

We could not swing flying to our cruise the day before this time. Because of this, I booked our flights through RCL since it cost the same as the airline. Our flight gets in about 3 hours before we have to be onboard. If we have delays and miss the ship, do they have to fly us to the first port? Thanks

I recently booked through a representative over the phone for RCCL upcoming cruise and she told me that is the benefit to booking air through them. If airline is delayed they will helicopter you onto the ship or get you to the next port somehow.

And of course make sure there are ports to fly into. Last year there was a thread here or on my Disney board about someone booking air through dcl for a transatlantic cruise, their flight was delayed, they didn't hold the ship, and the cruiser was then shocked that they would have to wait a few days to join the cruise. Yep. Went from FL to NJ or NY with a few days in between. Without a port they couldn't arrange a flight.

They weren't happy. I personally thought they were lucky it went to a northern US port before setting across the sea!!!

So make sure there are ports and airports to be flown to. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mollyeilis

Great benefit if you have to fly the same day but for me no matter what Royal tells me I prefer to fly the day before specially if you are boarding g the ship outside the U.S.A

In my case I saved over 100$ booking the flight directly with the airline flying the day before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are cases where they can't legally get you on the ship in a different port. For example, ship leaves Seattle for Alaska and is stopping in Vancouver or Victoria on the last night. They cannot legally put you on the ship in any of the Alaska ports and your only option would be to wait for the ship to get to the Canada ports. You can't generally get on at one US port and sail to another (without a stop at a far foreign port).

Not usually a problem in the Caribbean, but if your first stop after sailing was Key West you probably couldn't get on the ship there.

Since your flight was booked through RCCL, they will get you to the ship somehow, including flying you to the next port and picking up hotel costs. And if the flight is delayed and has 100 people for your ship they might just hold the ship for you.

Molly- my inlaws had something similar happen to them. They were flown into Mexico, and had to wait maybe 2 days, for the ship for them to arrive, and to board....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If only they would just helicopter people to the ship. :)