Prinsendam - Are the tubs as high sided as other HAL ships?

Alberta Quilter

We just booked our first cruise on the Prinsendam. There was some debate between us as to whether to book a shower only outside cabin or one with a bathtub. We did book one with a tub but I have some concerns about DM getting in and out of the high sided tub. Can someone tell me if the tubs are as high as other HAL ships? DM thinks she can manage but the cruise isn't until next year so would like to know if we should switch to a shower only room. My PCC tells me that the shower only cabin is 10 square feet smaller than the bathtub room next door. In case it makes a difference, we're talking about outside cabins on Main Deck.

Thanks for your help!

We just booked our first cruise on the Prinsendam. There was some debate between us as to whether to book a shower only outside cabin or one with a bathtub. We did book one with a tub but I have some concerns about DM getting in and out of the high sided tub. Can someone tell me if the tubs are as high as other HAL ships? DM thinks she can manage but the cruise isn't until next year so would like to know if we should switch to a shower only room. My PCC tells me that the shower only cabin is 10 square feet smaller than the bathtub room next door. In case it makes a difference, we're talking about outside cabins on Main Deck.

Thanks for your help!

I was just on the Prinsendam and I believe the tubs sides are at least as high as the tubs on the other ships. Pictures of my cabin can be found Here and include two views of the bathroom.

On the positive side, the outside cabins are very nice. I really enjoyed the cruise.

Edited by richwmn

Prinsendam tub sides are as high as those on the S- & R-class ships. Those are all much higher than those on the Vista/Signature ships.

When I was involuntarily upgraded on the Prinsendam I was given a cabin with a tub. I had to enter it as if I were mounting a horse. And this was before my knees got even worse than they eventually got!

Getting out was tougher since the floor of the bathroom is lower than the bottom of the tub.

If I were you, I would seriously consider switching to a shower-only cabin. I expect the 10' difference is the territory where the second nightstand can't fit.

In the tub cabins there are two nightstands. In the shower-only cabin next door, there is no nightstand next to the couch.

At least that's how it was in my A-category cabin. My memory of the outside cabins is that they are the same, except no balcony.

Prinsendam tub sides are as high as those on the S- & R-class ships. Those are all much higher than those on the Vista/Signature ships.

When I was involuntarily upgraded on the Prinsendam I was given a cabin with a tub. I had to enter it as if I were mounting a horse. And this was before my knees got even worse than they eventually got!

Getting out was tougher since the floor of the bathroom is lower than the bottom of the tub.

If I were you, I would seriously consider switching to a shower-only cabin. I expect the 10' difference is the territory where the second nightstand can't fit.

In the tub cabins there are two nightstands. In the shower-only cabin next door, there is no nightstand next to the couch.

At least that's how it was in my A-category cabin. My memory of the outside cabins is that they are the same, except no balcony.

You can also request a shower chair. The ones I have used will not fit with the shower chair from side to side in the tub, but I just sit on the end of the chair. Haven't had any problems doing that.

Edited by Jean1946

Thank you for the quick responses. I think, for now, we'll stick with the tub room. I hadn't realized about the potential loss of a nightstand; that would be a bit of an issue with us. If DM gets worse as time carries on, we may have to rethink our decision but, for now, she thinks she can manage.

Thanks, again!

While on the Prinsendam we had a shower bench requested for my husband. We put it in the tub and he was able to sit directly on the bench and then swing his legs over. As mentioned earlier the bench will only fit in the tub lengthwise, but that did not present a problem.

I was just on the Prinsendam and I believe the tubs sides are at least as high as the tubs on the other ships. Pictures of my cabin can be found Here and include two views of the bathroom.

On the positive side, the outside cabins are very nice. I really enjoyed the cruise.

I just booked this same cabin on Prinsendam for an upcoming cruise. Any thoughts to share? (Nice pics, by the way ... they helped me make up my mind. :))

I just booked this same cabin on Prinsendam for an upcoming cruise. Any thoughts to share? (Nice pics, by the way ... they helped me make up my mind. :))

Once I was on the ship I was very happy with the location of the cabin.

First, to make sure you know, there is a short hallway from the main passageway to the door of the cabin. It is nice that no one can see in when the door is open.

As you walk into the cabin, the spacious walk in closet is on your right. Adequate shelf and hanging storage. The bathroom is further along the same wall. The bathroom has a sliding door, so make sure it is latched at night or you may hear it rattle.

The two portholes give plenty of light during the day.

Maybe the best part of the cabin is that it is a few steps and one deck away from access to the gangway when docked, and tenders when not. That makes it very easy to come and go. Two decks up to the main dining room, 3 to the showroom so easy access to everything.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Edited by richwmn

Once I was on the ship I was very happy with the location of the cabin.

First, to make sure you know, there is a short hallway from the main passageway to the door of the cabin. It is nice that no one can see in when the door is open.

As you walk into the cabin, the spacious walk in closet is on your right. Adequate shelf and hanging storage. The bathroom is further along the same wall. The bathroom has a sliding door, so make sure it is latched at night or you may hear it rattle.

The two portholes give plenty of light during the day.

Maybe the best part of the cabin is that it is a few steps and one deck away from access to the gangway when docked, and tenders when not. That makes it very easy to come and go. Two decks up to the main dining room, 3 to the showroom so easy access to everything.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Very much appreciate the additional details -- thanks! I think it will suit me very well.

Thanks for your help!

The Prinsendam tubs are just as high too..On our first Prinsendam cruise we had a tub.. I am 5Ft. & 1/2 inch tall & found it to be quite difficult getting into a tub..

I agree with Ruth.. In 2013 on the Prinsendam to Antarctica, I requested a shower only since I had a hip replacement the year before.. So happy I did, as even though we lost an end table the shower only cabin was wonderful.. Our cabin was above the Vista show lounge & we were very close to the elevators which were also a godsend.. I had a lot of clothes & the 10 sq ft loss still was no problem..

It was a long walk for me to dinner, so used my cane...But it was well worth having a shower only.. we were in an "E" cabin No. 331 on Main deck..

If your Mom is tall with long legs then a tub would not be a problem, but if she is like me with short legs it is a problem.. On other ships with tubs my DH actually had to help me out of the tub since the floor was lower than the bottom of the tub....

Edited by serendipity1499

Thank you for the quick responses. I think, for now, we'll stick with the tub room. I hadn't realized about the potential loss of a nightstand; that would be a bit of an issue with us. If DM gets worse as time carries on, we may have to rethink our decision but, for now, she thinks she can manage.

Thanks, again!

Ask your steward for another night stand. It takes a little reorganization but you can get it in.

I am an able bodied cruiser who is always surprised that the bathroom floor is so much lower than the bottom of the tub on the Prinsendam. It is a long step down from the bathtub. I will bet that numerous passengers have been injured climbing out of the tubs. I would book a shower, if I were the least bit infirm.

Ask your steward for another night stand. It takes a little reorganization but you can get it in.

????

Where would you put it? How would you reorganize, and just which pieces of furniture would be moved?

I'm wondering the same thing..:confused::confused:

In our (shower only) cabin the large Bed (pushed together twins) was smack next to the outside door.. There was only one nightstand & that was smack jammed between the bed & the couch..There would not have been any room for another night stand except possibly where I put our extra large 29 inch suitcase between the end of the bed & the wall & that suitcase was only a few inches deep.. LOL

We had a tub on our last cruise on Prinsendam - the first room, an OV on the LP deck had a weird one - the floor of the bathroom was quite a bit lower than the floor of the tub. I found it very unsettling. After 28 days, we moved to a vista suite and I don't remember it being as bad - but maybe by then my knees had figured it out!:rolleyes: