On the Jewel now -- some interesting factoids

Turtles06

We're on the Jewel now, the Jan. 25-Feb. 5 Panama Canal cruise from Miami to LA. We transited the Canal yesterday, and it was simply fantastic! We're having a great time, and I'll write about the cruise when we return, but I found the following very interesting.

The larger main dining room, Tsar's Palace, is so brightly lit at dinner time as to be uninviting. Zero ambience, nothing like the Grand Pacific on the Gem. I asked the Restaurant Manager about this, and he said it's so the guests can read the menus! He said the average age of the passengers on board is 64.5, and they get complaints if they turn the lights down.

He also said there are a total of 17 passengers under the age of 21.

As I said, we're having a great time. The crew and staff are wonderful. But a bit less light in Tsar's would be better. :)

We're on the Jewel now, the Jan. 25-Feb. 5 Panama Canal cruise from Miami to LA. We transited the Canal yesterday, and it was simply fantastic! We're having a great time, and I'll write about the cruise when we return, but I found the following very interesting.

The larger main dining room, Tsar's Palace, is so brightly lit at dinner time as to be uninviting. Zero ambience, nothing like the Grand Pacific on the Gem. I asked the Restaurant Manager about this, and he said it's so the guests can read the menus! He said the average age of the passengers on board is 64.5, and they get complaints if they turn the lights down.

He also said there are a total of 17 passengers under the age of 21.

As I said, we're having a great time. The crew and staff are wonderful. But a bit less light in Tsar's would be better. :)

Guess it's time for the sunglasses :D

Help us understand what you will keep in mind. What actions would you take based upon this information?

I would "wear my sunglasses at night

So I can so I can

See the light that's right before my eyes"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The larger main dining room, Tsar's Palace, is so brightly lit at dinner time as to be uninviting. Zero ambience, nothing like the Grand Pacific on the Gem.

We were on the Jewel over the Christmas holiday. You are right about the light...although I didn't really think about it at the time. The Grand Pacific on the Jade was nicer, but that's been over 5 years for me. Wonder if they've brightened it up.

Someone suggested Azura: it's bright too, but it does better with the more modern, casual decor.

DH and I took our first NCL cruise on the Jewel many years ago. I loved having dinner there with the beautiful surroundings. Even though it was a large room, it did have a "warmth" in the evenings. It sounds like that may not be the case any longer with the bright lights. I'll just know what to expect when we go there.

We may have more of our MDR dinners in Azura, which we also enjoyed. I agree that the brightness would go better with that restaurant's decor. We also enjoy having some of our meals in the specialty restaurants. It's nice to have so many choices! It's one of the things I appreciate on NCL.