Booking from UK through Australian TA

I am looking at booking my Australian cruise through an Australian TA as it is significantly cheaper than either the UK site or my US TA.

As far as I know, the price also includes the Gratuities so that is even more savings.

Has anyone in the UK done this?

I know plenty of us use US TA's but just like to get anyone's experiances.

Thanks in advance.

A few years ago we booked a Celebrity cruise through a US agent, it was sold out here. After being told we could be denied boarding we had extended phone calls with Celebrity to clear the matter up.

I spent the entire 15 hour flight to South America stressing and making plans re what to do if couldn't get on ship. Lol

All went to plan and there were no hiccups but I don't think I will do that again.

While it shouldn't be aproblem, in that I've heard of it before, my understanding is that the tips included only applies to Aussies (probably K1w1s too) who book through Australia (and presumably Kiwiland) So you may miss that benefit.

While it shouldn't be aproblem, in that I've heard of it before, my understanding is that the tips included only applies to Aussies (probably K1w1s too) who book through Australia (and presumably Kiwiland) So you may miss that benefit.

By booking through an Aussie TA I think the OP would be treated the same as an Aussie. I have heard of Australians who book through an American TA being charged tips, the same as if they were Americans.

Another point - the tips can be removed. When the stewards are being paid at a much higher rate that includes the tips they would get on other ships, why should anyone be charged the auto tips? (I am talking about the Australian-based Princess ships.) If a passenger from the UK or USA feels they should tip, they can give the money to the steward directly. Then he/she will get it. If they leave the autotip on, it will go into a pool and if their steward gets any, it would be only a small amount.

Edited by Aus Traveller

By booking through an Aussie TA I think the OP would be treated the same as an Aussie. I have heard of Australians who book through an American TA being charged tips, the same as if they were Americans.

Another point - the tips can be removed. When the stewards are being paid at a much higher rate that includes the tips they would get on other ships, why should anyone be charged the auto tips? (I am talking about the Australian-based Princess ships.) If a passenger from the UK or USA feels they should tip, they can give the money to the steward directly. Then he/she will get it. If they leave the autotip on, it will go into a pool and if their steward gets any, it would be only a small amount.

Everything I've seen says the tips are only for Aussies who book local (but that may still be wrong). So yes if an Aussie book through OS TA they will get charged them.

Edited by GUT2407

Everything I've seen says the tips are only for Aussies who book local (but that may still be wrong). So yes if an Aussie book through OS TA they will get charged them.

Agreed. That's why I feel a major factor in determining whether a passenger will be charged the auto-tip or not, is the TA they booked through.

I have noew had a quote which says Tips are included.

So a saving of over $750 (£600) compared to my US TA and about £800 cheaper than booking through UK sites.

That is the cost of our 2 Deluxe drink Packages:D:D

I have noew had a quote which says Tips are included.

So a saving of over $750 (£600) compared to my US TA and about £800 cheaper than booking through UK sites.

That is the cost of our 2 Deluxe drink Packages:D:D

Good to hear that it worked for you.

I am looking at booking my Australian cruise through an Australian TA as it is significantly cheaper than either the UK site or my US TA.

As far as I know, the price also includes the Gratuities so that is even more savings.

Has anyone in the UK done this?

Thanks in advance.

All Australian based ships have tipping included in their price. This applies to all their guests, not just Aussies or Kiwis.

" P&O Australia has eliminated all gratuities, leaving the choice to tip completely to each individual cruiser.

There is also no tipping on the Princess Cruises' ships that are based year-round in Australia, including (Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess)."

Also...

"Carnival Cruise Lines' Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend are two American ships that underwent an "Aussification" program, which included abolishing compulsory gratuities. CCL Australia's vice president Jennifer Vanderkreeke said: "Tipping is not part of the culture for Australians and we respect that."

All Australian based ships have tipping included in their price. This applies to all their guests, not just Aussies or Kiwis.

" P&O Australia has eliminated all gratuities, leaving the choice to tip completely to each individual cruiser.

There is also no tipping on the Princess Cruises' ships that are based year-round in Australia, including (Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess)."

Also...

"Carnival Cruise Lines' Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend are two American ships that underwent an "Aussification" program, which included abolishing compulsory gratuities. CCL Australia's vice president Jennifer Vanderkreeke said: "Tipping is not part of the culture for Australians and we respect that."

The "and we respect that" part is a joke. End of 2015, we did 34 days circumnavigation of Aus and NZ, each port the patter would suggest the appropriate tips for that port, around 15%, an absolute joke, if they respected our non tipping culture they'd have said something like..

"tipping isn't a requirement, naturally if you wish to leave something extra it will be gratefully received, but isn't necessary".

Also...

That is not how it works. On cruises on Australian-based Princess cruises, I have met many Americans and Brits who have commented that they were being charged the auto tips. I am not convinced that they paid less than Aussies for that cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Thanks in advance.

To address the OP main question and my experience.

First I registered for a Crown and Anchor number with my Canadian address. While not a necessity, I would do it sooner or later.

I booked directly on the RCCL AU website. We reside in Canada. At the time of booking, the AU rate was significantly better than the Can. rate and similar to the US rate for the same cabin. I used our Canadian address. The AU rate has increased now similar to the Can. rate. As far as I am concerned, you can book RCCL where it is best for you.

Today, I paid the balance of the cruise, but had a problem. The RCCL computer did not like "Canada" in the "Country" address for my CC and I'll come back to this. I called RCCL, and learned the reservation # has 6 digits in North America, in Australia it is 7 digits. I was then telephoned transferred about 8 times around the world twice in and out of RCCL International and finally transferred to a non-operational RCCL number (which offered me a survey to do) and disconnected. Payment is due tomorrow. I could not connect to a human to take my CC payment nor could I pay on-line, so I had to resort to the "mother of invention".

I went back to make the payment on-line and in the "Country" address for my CC, I used "Australia" instead of Canada and the payment processed. My balance is Nil, the payment has hit my CC and waiting for the email confirmation from RCCL.

I know that Princess won't let Aussies book through a US TA but Celebrity, Cunard and HAL do as examples. Agree with Aus Traveller about that scare tactic.

Yes you can. Not encouraged, but confirmed by the Future Cruise Consultant on our last cruise. We received quotes from a US TA, saying they were allowed to book, but added a $US100 surcharge to the quote.

We didn't book with them in the end, the price we got here was similar. Good to get comparisons though, and we will continue to get other prices for cruises not originating or ending in Australia.

Yes you can. Not encouraged, but confirmed by the Future Cruise Consultant on our last cruise. We received quotes from a US TA, saying they were allowed to book, but added a $US100 surcharge to the quote.

We didn't book with them in the end, the price we got here was similar. Good to get comparisons though, and we will continue to get other prices for cruises not originating or ending in Australia.

We were told by a well known USA TA that they would add a $100 USD surcharge to a HAL booking but still could not do a Princess one for us. As it turns out I'm not really a Princess fan so that's no problem.

Here's a tricky one..

What if one of you live/are Australian, but your sharing a room with someone who is from/lives in the UK or US..?

Probably come down to where they booked, IF they've even thought about it.

Ok Guys, Thanks for all your posts.

Cruise now booked.

Managed to get the 9 Nights Radiance for £40 less through the Aussie TA, than I was paying for the 8 Night Voyager Cruise I originally booked through my US TA.This is after taking in to account the free Gratuities and the $300 OBC.

I was expecting to pay around £800 more for this cruise so I'm a very happy cruiser right now.