Steakhouse with teenager

dawnjaelithe

My son and I will be on the Splendor starting 3/26. The cruise itself is kind of a post-divorce vacation, as it was pretty rough on both of us. My son is 14 y/o. He's extremely polite, a bit of a foodie, and really just an amazing kid.

The steakhouse reservation is a birthday gift to me from my parents. They made the reservation for the first night. My biggest question is, will my son need to dress up (shirt and tie rather than polo and khakis)? He's amazing.. but getting him to dress in something other than shorts and a t-shirt is a struggle half the time. My other question.. is it okay for "kids" in the steakhouse? I know that sounds odd.. but sometimes people find it uncomfortable.

Thanks!!

My son and I will be on the Splendor starting 3/26. The cruise itself is kind of a post-divorce vacation, as it was pretty rough on both of us. My son is 14 y/o. He's extremely polite, a bit of a foodie, and really just an amazing kid.

The steakhouse reservation is a birthday gift to me from my parents. They made the reservation for the first night. My biggest question is, will my son need to dress up (shirt and tie rather than polo and khakis)? He's amazing.. but getting him to dress in something other than shorts and a t-shirt is a struggle half the time. My other question.. is it okay for "kids" in the steakhouse? I know that sounds odd.. but sometimes people find it uncomfortable.

Thanks!!

Other than for infants same dress code for all. And all are welcome.

Thanks!!

I've seen videos online of the steakhouse and the only people I've seen in ties were the servers.

I don't think the dress code applies on the first night of the cruise because you may/may not have your luggage.

Could be, but doesn't really matter, posted dress code according to Carnival says the code is the same as the MDR except that no shorts are allowed. Therefore polo shirt and khaki pants should be fine.

Edited by Sitzmark

Could be, but doesn't really matter, posted dress code according to Carnival says the code is the same as the MDR except that no shorts are allowed. Therefore polo shirt and khaki pants should be fine.

He will be ecstatic you said that. Except he'll tell me that khaki shorts and khaki pants are the same, just shorter. But on the off chance he doesn't need to wear a tie, he may be fine with it.

Thanks all! He'll be relieved, and I will too. No argument. :)

Go and enjoy. We ate 1st night in the Steakhouse on Splendor in October. Food was FABULOUS!!!

As others have stated, cruise casual is the dress code night 1 as they are sensitive that not all have their luggage.

We really enjoyed Splendor.

We took our daughter when she was 13 and she LOVED it! He is plenty old enough to enjoy it, especially if he's a "foodie".

We're going on our first night in June, too.:D:D

Cannot wait!!!!

Enjoy your cruise with your son!! Sounds like you completely deserve it!:D

We took our daughter when she was 13 and she LOVED it! He is plenty old enough to enjoy it, especially if he's a "foodie".

We're going on our first night in June, too.:D:D

Cannot wait!!!!

Enjoy your cruise with your son!! Sounds like you completely deserve it!:D

He claims to be a foodie. I just think he's picky. ;)

We're really excited. He's a very quiet kiddo, doesn't show emotion at all, but has promised I will get some full smiles!!

To be on the safe side you should rent him a tux...kidding. He'll be fine. You ought to see how some dress for Elegant Night.

He would absolutely die. Getting him in his concert uniform takes an hour. And it's just black slacks and a button-up shirt with a tie. Dear God. ;)

Get him a pair of convertible pants with the zip off legs. Can zip them off as soon as he leaves the dining room. He might think they are cool. Get a picture on elegant night with one leg zipped off. That is, of course, if he has nice legs...EM

Before my son went to college I took him on cruises. On one when he was 15 I told him over and over to get his clothes ready. Sure, sure was all I heard. He packed the night before. When he went to get dressed for the MDR his pants were 2 inches too short and fit loosely at the waist--he'd grown a lot since the cruise 6 months before. Thank goodness for duct tape.

Before my son went to college I took him on cruises. On one when he was 15 I told him over and over to get his clothes ready. Sure, sure was all I heard. He packed the night before. When he went to get dressed for the MDR his pants were 2 inches too short and fit loosely at the waist--he'd grown a lot since the cruise 6 months before. Thank goodness for duct tape.

lol this sounds like something my son would do. He is now 18.

A polo shirt and khaki's are fine for him, whether it's pants or shorts. I've seen people dine there with t-shirts and shorts. It doesn't bother me, come wearing with you are comfortable with. Enjoy the cruise.

I've dined at the Steakhouse at least once per cruise on every Carnival ship that has a Steakhouse. That's several weeks of Steakhouse experience.

I've never seen anyone admitted to the Steakhouse in a tee or shorts. I have seen cruisers who showed up in tees and shorts asked to change. They weren't allowed in dressed in tees and shorts, but after they changed to slacks and a polo shirt, they were let in.

Thaty said, I've often dined in the Steakhouse wearing black dress jeans, no problem.

OP, I have cruised alone with my young son too, also 14 (no divorce but hubs just doesn't like cruises) and we always eat in the steakhouse. We ate there the first night - for the half price wine [emoji41] - and my boy wore khaki PANTS and a polo. No one batted an eye, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks!!

Long pants and a shirt will do.

OP, I have cruised alone with my young son too, also 14 (no divorce but hubs just doesn't like cruises) and we always eat in the steakhouse. We ate there the first night - for the half price wine [emoji41] - and my boy wore khaki PANTS and a polo. No one batted an eye, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perfect! And what a great picture. Thank you!!