Britannia Launderette

lynn2002

Hi

What type of washing power/liquid/tabs do the washing machines take?

Does P&O do washing by the bag? If so, how much does it cost for a bag and how big are the bags.

Launderettes take any sort od powder, tablets or liquid.

I have never seen any laundry offers on P&O, but then again I never seek them out.

You can use your prefered choice of washing agent. You can buy tablets ( 2 in a pack ) for 50 p from the emporium. A laundry service is provided and depending on the length of cruise, there are certain offers at intervals on longer cruises I always get the formal shirts done.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

P&O generally have a service wash;collected by cabin steward and delivered to your cabin are charged at two rates, normal and express which is double the price. Only difference is speed they return it by. The form is normally in your cabin with a drawstring bag. You fill in the form and leave it in a prominent position for steward to collect. Each item is priced by type e.g shirt. Sometimes deals are offered typically towards end of cruise. I find this a good service and reasonably priced.

Regards John

Hi

What type of washing power/liquid/tabs do the washing machines take?

Does P&O do washing by the bag? If so, how much does it cost for a bag and how big are the bags.

My BIL was on this ship, his findings regarding the laundry room were, basically appalling behaviour.

Be prepared for open warfare... If one is lucky to find a machine empty, stand guard for the duration of washing cycle. Otherwise, on return, one may find one's wet belongings on the floor. :eek: Same goes for the dryer.

There is no, repeat no, polite laundry protocol on P&O. It is everyone for themselves. No quarter is asked for, or given.

Foul mouthed arguements (loud) and physical engagements, bordering on fisticuffs, are regularly noted. This is just the females. :eek:

Be afraid, be very afraid.

One wishes you luck.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

My BIL was on this ship, his findings regarding the laundry room were, basically appalling behaviour.

Be prepared for open warfare... If one is lucky to find a machine empty, stand guard for the duration of washing cycle. Otherwise, on return, one may find one's wet belongings on the floor. :eek: Same goes for the dryer.

There is no, repeat no, polite laundry protocol on P&O. It is everyone for themselves. No quarter is asked for, or given.

Foul mouthed arguements (loud) and physical engagements, bordering on fisticuffs, are regularly noted. This is just the females. :eek:

One wishes you luck.

What a load of nonsense :rolleyes:

Launderettes can get busy and not everyone is aware of the 'rules of engagement'.;)

I have used P&O launderettes lots of times and never witnessed bad behaviour.

On my recent Ventura xmas cruise I used the launderette twice and on both occasions there was hardly anyone there with plenty of spare machines :)

What a load of nonsense :rolleyes:

Launderettes can get busy and not everyone is aware of the 'rules of engagement'.;)

I have used P&O launderettes lots of times and never witnessed bad behaviour.

On my recent Ventura xmas cruise I used the launderette twice and on both occasions there was hardly anyone there with plenty of spare machines :)

Sorry, actual facts.... Gymnasium and running attire on two occasions .

One wishes you luck.

More P&O folklore. Absolute nonsense.

We have been on Britannia several times and indeed several other P&O ships and have never encountered any problems in the launderette.

We've been on Azura, Ventura and Britannia and never witnessed that kind of behaviour in fact the exact opposite people are always happy to share their experience of how to work the washers and driers and often happy to take your washing out and put in the drier if you are not there. In December when we were on Azura our balcony room was just across from the launderette so I would bob in put int he washer and go back 45 minutes later.

One afternoon had to go a search out my OH as he was missing for 30 minutes just ironing his shirt 45, only to be stood talking football with a fellow shirt ironer.

So don't listen to the silly stories or should I say listen to the stories but take them with a pinch of salt.

We've been on Azura, Ventura and Britannia and never witnessed that kind of behaviour in fact the exact opposite people are always happy to share their experience of how to work the washers and driers and often happy to take your washing out and put in the drier if you are not there. In December when we were on Azura our balcony room was just across from the launderette so I would bob in put int he washer and go back 45 minutes later.

One afternoon had to go a search out my OH as he was missing for 30 minutes just ironing his shirt 45, only to be stood talking football with a fellow shirt ironer.

So don't listen to the silly stories or should I say listen to the stories but take them with a pinch of salt.

Absolutely. They even have a TV in there so you can watch the football while you're ironing etc.

There was a thread on here some time back where people were putting on the "silly stories" they had heard. Ones like the guy who was fighting on the Ventura and threw a chair through a window, the guy who got caught shoplifting and jumped overboard to avoid capture and the couple who were fined £2,000 by the captain when they arrived back to the ship just as they were pulling up the gangplank.

Absolutely. They even have a TV in there so you can watch the football while you're ironing etc.

There was a thread on here some time back where people were putting on the "silly stories" they had heard. Ones like the guy who was fighting on the Ventura and threw a chair through a window, the guy who got caught shoplifting and jumped overboard to avoid capture and the couple who were fined £2,000 by the captain when they arrived back to the ship just as they were pulling up the gangplank.

Then there are these removed from ship "stories"

Throwing a sunbed over the side of ship

Flicking a live cigarette butt into the sea

Shoplifting

Stealing of purses and wallets from bags on the sun decks

Soliciting

Fighting

Fishing whilst ship moving

Abusing staff

Then there are these removed from ship "stories"

Throwing a sunbed over the side of ship

Flicking a live cigarette butt into the sea

Shoplifting

Stealing of purses and wallets from bags on the sun decks

Soliciting

Fighting

Fishing whilst ship moving

Abusing staff

Its only your happiness that keeps you going.

I've witnessed one or two tense moments in the launderette, though never actual arguments. But it is an environment that can cause upset. The problem is there are no baskets in which to put washing from a machine that's finished its wash, or from a dryer that's finished, if the owner isn't around and you need to use the machine. And there isn't anywhere else to put the washing, either.

My strategy when doing washing has always been to be outside the door at 8am and get the wash started straight away; then have breakfast in the buffet; return to the launderette and wait for the wash to be finished; transfer the clothes to the dryer, possibly with a carrier bag or two; go away for a while; but get back to the launderette before the dryer has finished its cycle.

On one Oceana cruise is was pointed out that the laundry baskets provided were only for use in the launderette. People were taking them back to their cabins and keeping them. I can't remember what draconian penalty was going to be given to anyone having a basket in their cabin.

Using the service laundry is not that expensive and avoids a lot of the aforementioned problems. You can also hand wash in cabin sink some washing and hang it to dry in shower on the clothes line. This is very inexpensive and reduces the cost of an itemised service load.

When you consider the cost of a cruise per person per hour it has always amazed me how people like spend the time in the launderette doing their own washing. My friend was insistent on guarding the load for its duration. I asked "When people pay £2000.00 for a cruise why would they want to steal your underwear?"

Regards John