steak first formal nite?

39august

We haven't eaten in the MDR in a while. What is the beef offering in the MDR for the first formal night, please? Some say filet, some say not. We will be on Allure in 8 days and contemplate trying the MDR on formal nights only. Otherwise, it will be CK.

We haven't eaten in the MDR in a while. What is the beef offering in the MDR for the first formal night, please? Some say filet, some say not. We will be on Allure in 8 days and contemplate trying the MDR on formal nights only. Otherwise, it will be CK.

On Allure Jan 2-8, 2017 it was a strip loin. Very thin and leathery. Not sure why they even offered it med rare.

A great disappointment and a downgrade from the carved tenderloin.

Thanks for the answer, even tho' I don't like it! Glad filet is on the CK menu for night one. Another filet question for you, re: Allure. Again I have seen conflicting answers to this. Is the filet still on the Giovanni's menu on Allure?

Thanks for the answer, even tho' I don't like it! Glad filet is on the CK menu for night one. Another filet question for you, re: Allure. Again I have seen conflicting answers to this. Is the filet still on the Giovanni's menu on Allure?

Yes, Allure did still have the filet (good as ever) at Giovannis. They did not have the scallops or the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella as appetizers.

A sirloin is available every night. IIRC, there is a tenderloin offered two separate nights, but I don't recall if it was on a formal night.

If your ships has a Chops, you can order a Chops filet for about $17 in the MDR. It's on par with a filet from Ruth's Chris steakhouse and Morton's steakhouse.

It's not a sirloin.

It's a "striploin".

There is no such thing.

They made it up.

It is Royal Caribbean-speak for "whatever beef we got on sale this week".

Remember the RANCH STEAK?!?!?! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

A sirloin is available every night. IIRC, there is a tenderloin offered two separate nights, but I don't recall if it was on a formal night.

If your ships has a Chops, you can order a Chops filet for about $17 in the MDR. It's on par with a filet from Ruth's Chris steakhouse and Morton's steakhouse.

The carved tenderloin was not offered on the Allure on the Jan 2-8 sailing on the first formal night like it had been in the past. The menus have changed and many cuts have been made. As I stated it had been replaced by a poor cut of steak. This was not the steak that is on the always available menu.

I was on the Freedom OTS this past Nov and the beef that was served was some kind of mystery cut with some type of brown sauce that was not worth eating. After two nights eating in the MDR we ate rest of our meals in the Windjammer which worker out OK.

It's not a sirloin.

It's a "striploin".

There is no such thing.

They made it up.

Remember the RANCH STEAK?!?!?! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Google "striploin". It does come up as a steak with multiple hits and recipes. The bigger issue is steak in the MDR was always borderline but now it's pretty much inedible.

It's a "striploin".

There is no such thing.

They made it up.

Sorry but as I spent over 20 years working as a meatcutter I must correct this. Striploin is another name for New York Strip Steak. It is not "made up" and is clearly a better cut than sirloin.

Filet Mignon, or tenderloin, is the most tender because it is the most protected/unused muscle in the animal. The filet comes from the underside of the shortloin whereas the strip comes from the top side of the same.

Sirloin on the other hand is from near the rear of the animal, the full loin, and is a muscle that is used often (walking, etc.) making it not as tender.

This will conclude today's lesson on steer anatomy :)

Google "striploin". It does come up as a steak with multiple hits and recipes. The bigger issue is steak in the MDR was always borderline but now it's pretty much inedible.

For RCCL it is a huge win-win. They save money on the normal steaks they are serving while at the same time driving some percentage to pay for a better steak.

When they first starting doing that I knew it was going to be part of a bad trend. I think on the same cruise that I first saw this, I ordered an OJ for breakfast in the MDR and the server became irate when I told him I didn't want to pay for a fresh squeezed OJ. He went on a rant about how awful the powdered stuff he was going to bring out was going to be.

A lot of businesses that do upsells work off a "good", "better", "best" type of advertising structure. What a turn off when the base level has a marketing model of "you'll hate this crap."

This will conclude today's lesson on steer anatomy :)

That was great actually- nice and concise. I am curious as to your opinion on choice vs. prime. We buy our meat from a popular big box and I've been very surprised to consistently enjoy their prime sirloin as much or even more than their choice filet (and I really enjoy their choice filet so it isn't that it is bad.) I also know others that will never pay extra for prime.

Separately does anyone know what grade meat the MDR as well as Chops offer?

That was great actually- nice and concise. I am curious as to your opinion on choice vs. prime. We buy our meat from a popular big box and I've been very surprised to consistently enjoy their prime sirloin as much or even more than their choice filet (and I really enjoy their choice filet so it isn't that it is bad.) I also know others that will never pay extra for prime.

Thank you.

As for choice vs.prime, obviously prime has more marbling which is fat dispersed throughout the cut, and it can make it more tender. But for me personally if a good piece of choice beef (strip, ribeye, etc.) is cooked properly it will be tender and flavorful enough where I wouldn't pay extra for prime.

Just an FYI, choice vs. prime is determined by the USDA inspector where the forequarter and hindquarter is separated between the 12th and 13th rib and the amount of marbling at that point. When you speak of your prime sirloin, while it may have more marbling than choice, what I mentioned in my previous post about it being towards the back of the animal and usage still plays a part in the tenderness of the cut.

There will be a short open book quiz and the end of the lesson. :)