Euros?

oldienewbie

Bob, You think that dollars would be OK over Euros? I am traveling to Spain, France and Italy in a few days. If the American dollar is accepted over the Euro, I will refrain from converting cash. Please let me know! Thanks.

You will not find many places that will take USD. It is best to plan to take out some euros from an ATM when you arrive, or get euros from your bank before you go if you prefer. The ship can also usually change money for you, but their rates are not good.

The U.S. dollar is very strong against the Euro so changing currency is definitely a plus. Some places in Spain, France and Italy will accept U.S. dollars (I was in all three countries in November), they will give you a very poor rate of exchange (because they can and no one can question it).

So, IMO, either convert your money (the ATM has the best rates) or use a credit card that does not a charge for overseas use.

P.S. Just noticed that you are Canadian. Still, the Canadian dollar is stronger against the Euro that it used to be so the same theory applies.

Edited by Travelcat2

Holy Land cruise?

For Israel, best to get a few shekels but euros are accepted by a lot of outlets such as taxis at the ports. USD not so widely accepted.

For Jordan and Egypt pretty-well anything - USD, euros, GBP, including € and £ coins, camels, goats, your wife, your first-born ......

For Turkey euros are widely accepted in Kusadasi, not so much in Istanbul. USD accepted in some outlets, but the euro is much more widely accepted.

For euro ports, stick to euros.

For govt. outlets such as buses and ferries you need local currencies, ditto for govt museums & such but cards also accepted at most.

Throughout, the euro is the preferred secondary currency, and cards are widely accepted in established shops and restaurants but at only very few stalls etc.

JB :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic, oldienewbie!

You're Canadian? Onboard expenses will be charged in US dollars. Otherwise, US dollars are not a Mediterranean currency. Do not buy US dollars just to change them into euros, shekels or kuna, you will get hit twice by conversion costs. This is the only NCL Spirit itinerary I find with a stop in Israel:

Wednesday, April 12 Venice, Italy 5:00pm

Thursday, April 13 At Sea

Friday, April 14 Crete (Heraklion), Greece 2:00pm 8:00pm

Saturday, April 15 At Sea

Sunday, April 16 Haifa, Israel 6:00am

Monday, April 17 Haifa, Israel 5:00pm

Tuesday, April 18 Limassol, Cyprus 8:00am 5:00pm

Wednesday, April 19 Rhodes, Greece 8:00am 5:00pm

Thursday, April 20 At Sea

Friday, April 21 Kotor, Montenegro 8:00am 5:00pm

Saturday, April 22 Split, Croatia 9:00am 5:00pm

Sunday, April 23 Venice, Italy 7:00am

Bob, You think that dollars would be OK over Euros? I am traveling to Spain, France and Italy in a few days. If the American dollar is accepted over the Euro, I will refrain from converting cash. Please let me know! Thanks.

Bob was being facetious.

For the European ports, you WILL need Euros for purchases in ports, tips for tour guides, meals in port, etc.. USDs are not the currency of the countries you will be visiting, and it's highly likely that they would be accepted.

It would be a good idea to have a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee, for larger purchases. (I have a Capital One that does not, and I'm sure there are others.

You will want a small supply of Euros even though you can make card purchases in much of Europe (especially in the Nordic countries).

You may find some merchants who will accept dollars but in general you come out worse on the deal.

If buying with a card. DO NOT agree to have the merchant bill in dollars. They charge you for the service and then your card issuer will convert that dollar amount to the local currency. Depending on the bank they may charge you again for converting.

ATM's are common in Europe. Just notify your bank in advance and make a withdrawal from an ATM. It's worth your time to get 100 euros just for miscellaneous expenses when you land even if you shop using a card. That will cost you about $110 withdrawal from your bank account.

ATM's are common in Europe. Just notify your bank in advance and make a withdrawal from an ATM. It's worth your time to get 100 euros just for miscellaneous expenses when you land even if you shop using a card. That will cost you about $110 withdrawal from your bank account.

Excellent point! The sentence in your post that I highlighted in red is very important. If your bank is not advised in advance, your transaction can be denied since it a request from a foreign ATM. We travel quite frequently and always advise our bank (giving them our itinerary, etc.) We also contact our credit card company.

CruiserBruce, love your comment and it is really true. Where we live is an exception - we live so close to Canada (and they shop in the U.S. because the lower prices), so local restaurants and stores in our city take the Canadian dollar (but at an unfavorable rate).

I apologize as I misread the original post. As stated in a previous post, you will need them onshore.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G