How to Select a First Cruise

boosted_347

I haven't been on a cruise in about 15 years so I'm going to refer to myself as a first timer. My wife has never been on a cruise. I'm very limited to dates as I'm trying to schedule after a work event in Chicago that ends on 5/21. I want to fly to an eastern US port (Orlando, Charleston, Jacksonville Ft. Lauderdale or Miami) and take her on a 4 to 5 day cruise to include the Bahamas, departing 5/22. She is looking for a relaxing time with no pressure to do anything. I've narrowed my choices down somewhat, but was curious as to the following:

1) When is the best time to book for the best pricing

2) Should I book through the cruise line directly or use an online agent.

3) What benefits are there?

4) Should I splurge for a balcony?

5) Any chance of getting upgrades, etc if using an online agent? Basically I want the best deal for my dollar (who doesn't, right?)

6) Is doing a last minute cruise worth it? Or is there too much risk of it selling out completely and not having that date?

7) I've narrowed it down to Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Which will she like better? I've been on Carnival, but like I said it was 15 years ago.

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Host Walt
Removing TA name at request of OP

I haven't been on a cruise in about 15 years so I'm going to refer to myself as a first timer. My wife has never been on a cruise. I'm very limited to dates as I'm trying to schedule after a work event in Chicago that ends on 5/21. I want to fly to an eastern US port (Orlando, Charleston, Jacksonville Ft. Lauderdale or Miami) and take her on a 4 to 5 day cruise to include the Bahamas, departing 5/22. She is looking for a relaxing time with no pressure to do anything. I've narrowed my choices down somewhat, but was curious as to the following:

No real "best time". You already are pretty close to the sailing date - final payment is not too far off as that will be do 90 days before sailing. So I wouldn't wait too long. Rates are based on supply and demand and will go up and down based on that. Certain times of the year are higher than others - summer vacations and Holidays, in particular when children are out of school are the higher rates.

Your choice - the base stateroom rates are the same. Any "perks" offered by TA's not offered by the cruise lines come from their commissions and will vary from TA to TA. BTW, you cannot mention specific TA's on CC. This can get your thread pulled.

Depends on the promotions offered at the time of booking - which change frequently.

Up to you. We always get one because we like sitting on it and watching the ocean.

5) Any chance of getting upgrades, etc if using an online agent? Basically I want the best deal for my dollar (who doesn't, right?)

Upgrades - in particular free ones - are far and few between and at the discretion of the cruise line based on bookings. I wouldn't expect a TA to upgrade you at N/C.

6) Is doing a last minute cruise worth it? Or is there too much risk of it selling out completely and not having that date?

Rates can be higher or lower, again depending on demand, and choices of staterooms will be limited on last minute cruise bookings.

7) I've narrowed it down to Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Which will she like better? I've been on Carnival, but like I said it was 15 years ago.

Impossible to say not knowing her. But we like RCI.

Thanks in advance!!!

See my responses above in red. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Host Walt

You figure out WHEN you can go...then you see what's available during those dates....then you book the one that suits your pocketbook and itinerary the best. Nothing is perfect..remember that!

Any cruise is a great vacation. And, that's all a cruise is...a VACATION...a HOLIDAY....book what suits you, then don't question it...just go, and have fun!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I echo what the others said. My only additional thought is to let you know that there is a hard deadline for booking. Gone are the days when you can just show up at the port and hope to get a last minute cabin. I'm not sure what that deadline is and it probably varies but I know it exists. We use a TA and if I had a question like that a short email would be all that is necessary. Whatever you choose to do have a great time.

Thanks in advance!!!

1) I always book as early as possible. I seem to get fairly decent pricing then. However, others like to gamble on last minute price drops, but you run the risk of it selling out or not getting the cabin you might want.

2). I always book directly through the cruise line to have more control over my booking.

3) Some people seem to get additional OBC or other perks going through a TA. However, if you want to make any changes to your booking or have any questions you have to go through the TA instead of contacting the cruise line directly.

I would definitely go for a balcony. It's so nice to have your own little space to enjoy the view and each other's company. I went without a balcony on one leg of a B2B in November and told myself " never again" lol

5) not really sure about this as I've never used an online agent

6) As I stated above, some people luck out and score some really great prices, but you do run the risk of your date of choice selling out, or not getting your cabin of choice.

7) I would have to say Royal Caribbean hands down. I've never been on Carnival, but I have been on Royal and it was my favorite cruise to date. Carnival is less expensive, but from what I've seen through reviews, the ships don't even compare. Yes Carnival is less expensive, but you know the saying " you get what you pay for".

Let us know what you decide and happy cruising whatever you choose!

Edited by Host Walt
Removed TA name as requested by OP

Just a few comments....there are lots of varying opinions on balconies. We've done both and we'll stick with oceanview. We don't spend enough time in our cabin to justify the cost.

We've done 7 Carnival and 4 RCCL, and we don't see a whole lot of difference. Carnival's improved over the years from when they started, particularly with the decor. Much more subdued now. We thought the food was very comparable.

I chose the first cruise for my daughter and me, based entirely on her very limited available dates. I googled Cheap Cruises about four weeks in advance, found a knocked-down cost RCI cruise that fit best with our dates, and that's what I booked.

We had a fantastic time. I now know that any of the other cruises available at the time would also have made us very happy. It wouldn't have mattered what the ports were, they would have also made us happy.

So just pick your dates, and if you're willing to try any ports (why wouldn't you be?) and any major line (why wouldn't you be?) google cheap cruises, pick one, and go.

Since you're so close to the 90 day point it might be to your benefit to wait until closer in. If a particular sailing isn't selling all that well you could see significant price cuts after the 90 day point at which cancellation penalties begin to apply for US bookings (further out than that and it becomes tempting for people to cancel for full refund and rebook for the lower fare).

The downside is that the closer in you book the available cabins tend to be more of the "leftover," less desirable locations. But I don't think there's a lot of difference to be seen between booking around 110 days out and booking 70-80 days out.