How far in advance do we book?

Baxterbean2017

We are new to cruising and looking to book the Allure of the Seas. How far in advance do we need to book? Will that determine our price?

We typically book our cruise at least 12 months in advance. That's usually when prices for a particular cruise are at their lowest, but there is sometimes the possibility of a price drop. If, after booking your cruise, you do see a price drop for your category, you can ask if you're eligible for an adjustment. Also, by booking well in advance, you have a much greater chance of booking the cabin you want.

Hi Baxterbean,

You should book as soon as you feel confident that you can do so without a change of heart.

You don't say if you are planning to make all the booking arrangements yourself or using a travel agent.

Unless you don't care about cost, you will need to assess different options. For instance...if your date of travel is fixed then you know when you would have to travel (fly). If you are flexible on the time frame, then you would be able to compare the price for the same cruise with different departure dates, in conjunction with the airfare. Since you are new to cruising, (and you are travelling from Canada) I have to say that you should consider travelling to the port region a day before the cruise date. That would also require at hotel booking, so another cost to factor in, for you evaluation.

I understand that some Canadian T.A. will sell cruise "packages" with air, cruise, transfers all included. If that is what you are looking at, it could make it easier for you, but you still need to make sure you are properly insured, not only for medical but trip interruption, delay, etc...

Make use of this site, take the time to look around on the main forum pages, you will see links for port of calls where much valuable information can be had. Also you will see links for each cruise line. Go to RCCL thread and there you will find the answer to most questions that you may have about that cruise line. That would be where you should ask questions specific to RCCL. You may also notice at the to of each thread there is a search function where you can key in words to get responses to commonly asked question and not have to wait for replies.

hope this helps you get started

have a great cruise

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always book as earliest as possible -- sometimes 1 1/2 years in advance.

That way we can choose the cabin we want -- we do not do guarantees.

I watch the prices and of they go down before final payment, I call our TA and she contacts the cruise line and usually can get us the lower price. If we can't get the lower price than she haggles for some shipboard credit.

As soon as the schedule I am looking for is released.

Right now I am waiting for RCL in March/April.

This ^^^^^ Right now I'm waiting for the southern caribbean May 2018 to be released by RCI.

We are new to cruising and looking to book the Allure of the Seas. How far in advance do we need to book? Will that determine our price?

Whether you choose to book your vacations through travel sites or you've got a travel agent readily available, booking in advance gives you flexibility. A year in advance down to six months is cool. Travel sites like hotels.com, hotelscombined.com and hotelsdifferently.com typically allow you to make adjustments or if you need to add something to your vacation, the changes will likely be accommodated since more options will be open as apposed to later when everything gets booked up.

Pricing is based on supply and demand. Often the lower prices are available with early bookings when itineraries are released. But they can and will change frequently up until final payment date, during which time you can take advantage of lower prices. Sometimes after final payment they can go up or down as well from that at final payment for bookings made during that time.

In other words there is no way of predicting prices. I would agree with booking as early as you can and watch pricing frequently for favorable changes prior to final payment - which for RCI is 90 days prior to sailing on 7 night+ cruises.

Edited by leaveitallbehind