Wasn't impressed with food choices

potsie57

Just got back from a cruise on the Magic. Beautiful ship, very clean, service was great. The crew were so friendly. We had a cove balcony which we enjoyed. We were not that pleased with the food choices and the buffet. Same things over and over. The Italian restaurant was average at best. Another thing about the food, most of the restaurants were never opened, only on sea days. We have cruised other cruise lines and the food was much better. Over all a great cruise on a great ship...

We liked the food overall on Magic. The steakhouse was incredible and Cucina De Capitano was decent. More included options than what we are use to on Royal Caribbean such as Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana etc. The Lido buffet is what it is but we always found something to eat that we enjoyed. The pizza was MUCH better on Magic than what we were use to on Royal Caribbean.

The only place I know that is only open on sea days is the Pig and Anchor BBQ.

Edited by ryano

Like ryano, we noticed the only place only open on sea days was the Pig and Anchor, which we enjoyed. We usually go to the deli at lunch the first day. The sandwiches are freshly made per your request - turkey on the country roll is yummy -- which we share along with a salad. We have at least one Guy's burger. We discovered the burritos and taco salad at the little Mexican spot. We thought the lunch option at the Italian restaurant was very nice and it was rarely crowded. There were some options on Deck 5 if you wanted to get away from the crowd including continental breakfast and a soup and salad bar where the staff prepared your plate. So many options we never got to them all - Tandoor, Mongolian Wok, pizza, etc. Lots of food choices, IMHO.

Odd. The MDR doesn't serve the same thing over and over. The restaurants have their hours posted in the fun times.

Neither does the lido. While the comfort foods and salad bar area does stay the same, the menu changes daily. It's all sorts of different themes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you look at the flyer they put in your room? I'm not sure how someone could want for food choices on any Carnival ship, much less this one. All have Lido running in prime breakfast, lunch and dinner hours. And this ship has extended hours for Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, Deli and Pizza. Lunch has the mongolian wok, italian and Indian - that is 7 unique food options, in addition to what is standard on the buffet. Then as the OP mentioned there is the BBQ open on sea days, as well as Sea Dogs. Plus the MDR is open on Sea Days for Brunch (until 1 pm) and on regular days for breakfast (different menu between the two), in addition to the nibbles that can be found in Ocean Plaza, the coffee/ice cream shop.

You may not enjoy the food, but to say that there is a lack of options is unreasonable - there are AT LEAST 12 places to try a bite throughout the day, especially a Sea Day. Yes, this ship does not have JiJis or Sushi, but many do not. And yes, there are fewer options on a port day - the theory is you are ashore exploring the new country and enjoying a bite or two there.

Interesting.

I just came off the Magic as well and really enjoyed all the lunch options. Guys Pig and Anchor was delicious and the fish tacos at Blue Iguana...I'm ashamed of how many I ate lol! Mongolian Wok, Pizza Pirate, Guys Burgers, Cucina del Capitano were all great IMO.

The MDR was better than what I experienced in the Sunshine but as a whole American Table/American Feast sucks and there's no saving it.

Edited by TheTravelista

There really is not as much to chose from anymore. If you eat between 12-2:30pm then you have many many choices (Magic examples)- Blue Iguana, Mongolian, guy's, pig and anchor, taste bar (turned into mini deli), large salad bar next to cafe,buffet, deli, pizza, tandor Indian, and Italian restaurant. After 6pm it is only the dinning room, buffet, deli, pizza, or pay for specialty restaurant. If you are a late night person like we are then only thing after 11pm is the snack grill (hot dogs, chips, cookies), or pizza. Used to be late night buffets, the deli was open later and when it closed the pizza was called pizza plus and had some deli stuff and Caesar salads. When the buffet was open it was one side and each of the 2 lines had the same 6 main items on them. Even the deserts have dwindled in offerings. And when it is time to close them they are to the minute closing them!

Just got back from a cruise on the Magic. Beautiful ship, very clean, service was great. The crew were so friendly. We had a cove balcony which we enjoyed. We were not that pleased with the food choices and the buffet. Same things over and over. The Italian restaurant was average at best. Another thing about the food, most of the restaurants were never opened, only on sea days. We have cruised other cruise lines and the food was much better. Over all a great cruise on a great ship...

That is everywhere.

Foods of all kinds on ships, even fantasy class. So the complaint does not make sense to me. What in the world were you looking for?:confused:

That's what I was thinking too. :rolleyes:

The choices are way better than anything I have at home or that I have to cook myself.

There really is not as much to chose from anymore. If you eat between 12-2:30pm then you have many many choices (Magic examples)- Blue Iguana, Mongolian, guy's, pig and anchor, taste bar (turned into mini deli), large salad bar next to cafe,buffet, deli, pizza, tandor Indian, and Italian restaurant. After 6pm it is only the dinning room, buffet, deli, pizza, or pay for specialty restaurant. If you are a late night person like we are then only thing after 11pm is the snack grill (hot dogs, chips, cookies), or pizza. Used to be late night buffets, the deli was open later and when it closed the pizza was called pizza plus and had some deli stuff and Caesar salads. When the buffet was open it was one side and each of the 2 lines had the same 6 main items on them. Even the deserts have dwindled in offerings. And when it is time to close them they are to the minute closing them!

Well that's different lol. That's "there's not much to choose from in the evening". And in that case, I agree 100%. Its been something that lots of people, including me have noticed for awhile now.

24 hour pizza and an extremely limited room service menu are not enough and its ridiculous that they think it is. Especially when the line for pizza gets to be anywhere from 15-30 minutes long because of lacking options. Even the buffet closes too early IMO. Many people are late eaters and being open til 10:30 would accommodate them. The delis used to be open until 1AM. They should go back to that. Guy's should just be open until 1AM as well and Blue Iguana could open again from 6pm - 11PM. I've wanted a complimentary 24 hour diner style restaurant like NCL's O'Sheehan's on Carnival for the longest time as well. I'll continue to keep hope alive :rolleyes:

They have the ability to offer more choice around the clock. They choose not to.

Hmmm. Maybe they close the other venues to encourage everyone to go to the MDR. I think the other venues are staffed by the MDR staff during the day. O always see my wait staff in the lido cafe. So my rationale leads me to believe they can't successfully operate all venues when they have the MDR up and running for dinner. It's a staffing issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No one has mentioned the Tasting Bar. Does Magic still have that? And if so does any one at what times it is open?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it is there. Usually open 5-7 ish pm for the dinner snacks. It is also open about 730 am for breakfast and again during the lunch time hours.

I've wanted a complimentary 24 hour diner style restaurant like NCL's O'Sheehan's on Carnival for the longest time as well. I'll continue to keep hope alive :rolleyes:

They have the ability to offer more choice around the clock. They choose not to.

We loved that 24 hour diner place. It was actually where we had the best service as well. The cook made me a grilled cheese after the first time I went and told them how much I loved their tomato soup but wish they had a grilled cheese on the menu. He asked me what that was and next noght he surprised me with one.

Well, this is just MY opinion on this subject.

I have cruised on many cruise lines down through the years, and several ships with Carnival and getting ready to do Glory next month.

Anyone can "nit pick" about the food if they want too, but I have never had a problem with finding "something" to eat, if I was "hungry" enough.

Think the op was complaining that DR was not open for lunch on port days.

It hasn't been open for lunch on port days for years, and neither are the dining rooms on Princess or RCCL. At least the Magic has Guys and the Blue Iguana Cantina.

Anyone can "nit pick" about the food if they want to, but I have never had a problem with finding "something" to eat, if I was "hungry" enough.

It sounds like this is paraphrased from one of the Andes airplane survivors from the book and movie of the same title " Alive. " :eek: