Room Upgrades

travellingnana

I have just booked a Princess cruise, and the TA asked if I would be willing to accept a cabin upgrade. If offered, do I have the option of refusing it if I don't like the location...or am I just notified of my new cabin?

Last cruise we took we picked cabin on deck 16, our favorite deck, I checked personalizer one day and they had moved us to an upgraded cabin on deck 9. I just called them and told them I didn't want it. It was changed back with no hassle. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Forums mobile app

I have just booked a Princess cruise, and the TA asked if I would be willing to accept a cabin upgrade. If offered, do I have the option of refusing it if I don't like the location...or am I just notified of my new cabin?

You do not usually have the opportunity to turn down the new assignment, if you say yes to upgrading.

Our TA didn't even know that we had been upgraded! For that same sailing we also received an offer to upgrade to a club class mini (upgrade from our mini) and it came directly to us, and not our TA. We happen to have been on another cruise at the time we were notified we had 48 hours to accept the offer. So we didn't get to pay to upgrade at the time, but that's how we noticed the cabin change. I did not like the Forward Club Class mini location so it's not something we would have taken anyway.

I was happy with the new cabin assignment they gave us (from MF to MB), so we left it alone (no complaining). I have heard some horror stories of people not being happy with the "free upgrade" location. So if you are particular make sure you mark no upgrade. This is the second time I've marked OK to upgrade and we did get one we liked. Usually we book the exact cabin we want and mark it do not upgrade because we do not want to give up our location, but this time we booked the lowest class of mini suite so I was willing to have any better location and it worked out.

So, if you are worried about being upgraded to another category location mark it do not upgrade, if you don't care, then leave it open for upgrade. The upgrade fairy is difficult to come by. :) but when she does, she is most welcome (usually) :D

Our TA didn't even know that we had been upgraded! For that same sailing we also received an offer to upgrade to a club class mini (upgrade from our mini) and it came directly to us, and not our TA. We happen to have been on another cruise at the time we were notified we had 48 hours to accept the offer. So we didn't get to pay to upgrade at the time, but that's how we noticed the cabin change. I did not like the Forward Club Class mini location so it's not something we would have taken anyway.

That is not an upgrade. It is an upsell which is completely different. An upgrade is done at no extra cost. I was once upgraded from an IF (Interior Forward on Lido deck) cabin to a B2 (extra large HC accessible balcony cabin) on Caribe deck. That is an upgrade of many (many!) categories. I had booked directly with Princess and wasn't notified of the upgrade. I only found out about it by checking my cruise personalizer.

One can mark their booking as "no upgrade" but that still doesn't guarantee the cabin as it is really only a request. Upgrades do still happen but are far less frequent than in the past. Upsell offers (such as you received) are by far the more frequent occurrence these days.

It is now seldom to receive an upgrade. But it you are firm on the cabin you have booked, you, or your TA, have to call Princess to tell them to mark your booking as "no upgrade"

That is not an upgrade. It is an upsell which is completely different. An upgrade is done at no extra cost. I was once upgraded from an IF (Interior Forward on Lido deck) cabin to a B2 (extra large HC accessible balcony cabin) on Caribe deck. That is an upgrade of many (many!) categories. I had booked directly with Princess and wasn't notified of the upgrade. I only found out about it by checking my cruise personalizer.

One can mark their booking as "no upgrade" but that still doesn't guarantee the cabin as it is really only a request. Upgrades do still happen but are far less frequent than in the past. Upsell offers (such as you received) are by far the more frequent occurrence these days.

Actually an MF to MB IS an upgrade.

What was not an upgrade was the opportunity to pay (upsell) to Club Class, but when we had gotten the email to pay (if we wanted) we noticed we had been upgraded at that time.

Perhaps the way I worded it confused you.

I didn't think it was an upsell as we had been on a waitlist for Club Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you designate "no upgrade", will they still offer an upsell, if available?

They could still offer an upsell but I usually mark ours META only.

Best to mark the upgrade "META UPGRADE ONLY".

That would be from one category to another. IE=inside to a OV or OV to a balcony etc etc.