Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay for first timers?

DnA2010

I suggest Glacier Bay as you are always going to get pretty close for a decent view. I think Hubbard is more spectacular IF you get close but the distance the cruise ship stops vary greatly.

FYI if you do a Princess Southbound trip from Whittier to Vancouver you will visit both

I am going to say Glacier Bay only because it is pretty much guaranteed. Hubbard is great if you get close, it is not great at 9 miles away. On my first cruise, I only had Hubbard on the itinerary and we were 9 miles away which was like not seeing it.

As Doug mentioned, some cruises have both on their itinerary.

I find all the glacier sailing areas spectacular for me. I suggest looking at the ENTIRE itinerary- there is never going to be a "perfect" trip. :) figure out the details of what you want to include with your touring and what is going to be your highlight to see. Alaska is full of opportunities with rave reviews on all the cruises.

I suggest Glacier Bay as you are always going to get pretty close for a decent view. I think Hubbard is more spectacular IF you get close but the distance the cruise ship stops vary greatly.

FYI if you do a Princess Southbound trip from Whittier to Vancouver you will visit both

Thanks for the thoughts- does the distance to the glacier depend on the conditions or the ship iteslf?

I will def look into the cruise you mention on Princess!

I am going to say Glacier Bay only because it is pretty much guaranteed. Hubbard is great if you get close, it is not great at 9 miles away. On my first cruise, I only had Hubbard on the itinerary and we were 9 miles away which was like not seeing it.

As Doug mentioned, some cruises have both on their itinerary.

Thanks, that's great to know!

I find all the glacier sailing areas spectacular for me. I suggest looking at the ENTIRE itinerary- there is never going to be a "perfect" trip. :) figure out the details of what you want to include with your touring and what is going to be your highlight to see. Alaska is full of opportunities with rave reviews on all the cruises.

Seeing glaciers is probably the most important thing- we will be travelling with 2 babies who will be 9-11 months depending on when we travel, so won't be doing much as far as excursions

I suggest you consider NCL Sun northbound that goes to Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier. You get to see both. We have been to Glacier Bay twice and Hubbard once. Both are beautiful but Hubbard Glacier is so huge it is very impressive.

I suggest you consider NCL Sun northbound that goes to Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier. You get to see both. We have been to Glacier Bay twice and Hubbard once. Both are beautiful but Hubbard Glacier is so huge it is very impressive.

Princess also has 2 glacier days. Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay one direction and Glacier Bay and College Fiords the other direction.

Glacier Bay is a guarantee. College Fiords, Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm can be missed. Sometimes for most of the summer. I have always hit College Fiords but have friends who were fogged out. Hubbard and Tracy Arm can be hit or miss, especially in the past few years.

Princess also has 2 glacier days. Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay one direction and Glacier Bay and College Fiords the other direction.

Glacier Bay is a guarantee. College Fiords, Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm can be missed. Sometimes for most of the summer. I have always hit College Fiords but have friends who were fogged out. Hubbard and Tracy Arm can be hit or miss, especially in the past few years.

The only thing I'm worried about with 1 way cruises is the airport transfers with 2 babies- is it going to be a major hassle?

The only thing I'm worried about with 1 way cruises is the airport transfers with 2 babies- is it going to be a major hassle?

You maybe better off starting off with RT Vancouver..... Yes, it is more complicated with babies.

Out of curiosity - how old are the kids? This sort of complicates things a tad. If they are really young, they may not be old enough for kids clubs and some lines don't do baby sitting. You may want to figure out if these things are important to you or not. For some, it may not be.

It's not any different than airport transfers on a round trip. Yes, the distance to ANC is further but if you use the train for your transfer it should be no problem.

As a pediatrician and mother of four grown children, I would suggest you do a round trip from Vancouver or Seattle. Negotiating the train transfers and one way air transfers will add a level of stress with two infants that will make it seem you were never on a vacation.