Royal vs. Celebrity

mds0927

I have traveled aboard Royal's Harmony both in the Med and Caribbean. Been on Celebrity's Summit about 2 years ago. In booking the next cruise, I plan to travel with one of the two cruise lines, just cannot decide which would be best. I loved Harmony, but there were a few things that were disappointing, i.e. crowds at pool/dining on sea days; dinners were not amazing. From what I recall from 2 yrs back, Celebrity excelled in healthy dining options and I never had an issue finding a chair to lounge in by the sun. Not being as familiar with the Celebrity brand, I am wondering if I would enjoy a higher class with Celebrity. Any thoughts and suggestion are much appreciated!!

I'm probably not the best choice to base a decision on as I have only been on one Celebrity cruise in my experience - that being Summit as well this past July.

But we were favorably impressed enough that we have booked a second on on Silhouette for next January and are likely going to book one this July on Equinox. I think over all the food is better, a less "hectic" atmosphere, and a higher degree of personal service exists on Celebrity than with RCI.

That doesn't mean we're "abandoning ship" with RCI, but will be looking at splitting more cruises in the future with Celebrity.

Just one person's opinion from one cruise experience.

We Iike both lines. There are more fun activity on RCCL shifts (especially the larger shifts) but the (free) food is definitely better on celebrity. I'd happily sail on either again though. If the price was exactly the same I'd probably choose celebrity for places like Alaska/Norway where the scenery and ports are the main attraction. We'd be looking for less onboard activities but would enjoy the better food.

For places we'd sailed to many times or itineraries with lots of beaches we'd probably choose RCCL as we'd be looking to do more on the ship and would be prepared to sacrifice better food for more to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love both brands, but my preference is the smaller classes of ships. Radiance-class is my preferred class on Royal; the size is perfect and the ships are stunning. The Solstice-class is my preferred class on Celebrity; just very elegant. Actually, now I much more prefer Azamara, because it is only 700 guests, and I like the destination immersion that the brand offers, with smaller ports and longer / overnight stays.

Overall, Celebrity over Royal, but I still cruise both. If you want that 'healthier' type food fare, try booking an Aqua Class cabin; you will have your own private dining room as an Aqua guest. The food is amazing and yes, you can still dine in the MDR and specialty restaurants. You can search their website to view sample menus and atmosphere. Dining in Blu reminds me of the glory days of cruising...when everyone knows your name!

Royal Caribbean strikes me as being more for the activity-oriented, price sensitive, less mature customer base. They have better shows, more noise, and worse food than Celebrity - which offers better food in a more calm environment - at a slightly higher cost. You get what you pay for: if you do not think that better food and more space are worth paying for, stick with Royal Caribbean.

Celebrity and Royal are owned by the same company and Celebrity is meant to be a bit more traditional and upscale than Royal. The downside is that the shows are ...meh... That said, if you want a significantly better experience plus great shows, the MSC Divina or Seaside Yacht Club is the place to be - they have an special restaurant for suites which is outstanding, pool and sun deck for suite guests only with all drinks included and a snack buffet that rotates every 3 hours in the Yacht Club lounge and the price for the Yacht Club is more similar to a regular verandah on Celebrity. Another alternative would be to try a luxury line such as Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania, Silversea, Regent, or Viking.

Royal Caribbean strikes me as being more for the activity-oriented, price sensitive, less mature customer base. They have better shows, more noise, and worse food than Celebrity - which offers better food in a more calm environment - at a slightly higher cost. You get what you pay for: if you do not think that better food and more space are worth paying for, stick with Royal Caribbean.

I've found their prices to be comparative. We've paid less to go on Celebrity than most of our Royal Caribbean cruises. It's very much dependant on the ship itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Took the Oasis in September, our first large RC ship. Loved all the shows and activities. However, now that we've done that, decided to go back to Celebrity S Class for ambiance, better food, iced martini bar, solarium pool.

Won't return to RC for awhile since alot of activities will be the same as on the Oasis.