What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

I's LOVE to see the evidence to support that feeling.

Just for one sailing even. How many balconies were available for bid? How many people bid? What was the minimum and maximum amount bid? What were the minimum and maximum successful bids?

Does all of the supposition and guessing benefit the guest or does it benefit NCL? :rolleyes:

Why would someone bid more for a cabin than they could get it for with just a phone call? Hopefully the guest, if everyone bid low it would.

Why would someone bid more for a cabin than they could get it for with just a phone call? Hopefully the guest, if everyone bid low it would.

OK...no evidence, but I'll play along anyway.

Of course no one would bid more than they could get it for with a phone call. Probably why nobody ever claimed that they would. Why debate a position that no one has taken?? :confused:

Sure, the guest MIGHT benefit if everyone bid low, but figure the odds of that happening. Probably about the same as walking around the pool deck and not finding any empty loungers without a towel on them. If "everyone" starts bidding low, it is much more likely that NCL will simply increase the minimums...therefore increasing the bids, therefore increasing the money in their pocket (and not in ours).

Maybe the question you should address is why would a person let other people know what they're bidding and therefore increase the chance that they would be outbid?? Or...when NCL designed and instituted the auction/bidding process for upgrades, did they do this to benefit the guest or to benefit NCL??

I have a chance to bid on a balcony for our upcoming cruise, the opening bid is $75 and the max bid is $450. Funny thing is that I called NCL and asked how much would it cost to change to a balcony and I was told I could upgrade for $800 total. I am happy with my Inside cabin, but what the heck, worth it to bid $75 I guess.

75.00 may not cut it. If you want the balcony, try 115.00. That way you beat the 100,110 bids. Worth the few extra bucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

75.00 may not cut it. If you want the balcony, try 115.00. That way you beat the 100,110 bids. Worth the few extra bucks.

I happy with my inside, but a balcony would be nice. But I am cheap, so I figure if I get it for $75 great, if not, I will have a little more to spend on-board. But I understand your thought. Thanks.

I happy with my inside, but a balcony would be nice. But I am cheap, so I figure if I get it for $75 great, if not, I will have a little more to spend on-board. But I understand your thought. Thanks.

I agree with you. Never want to overspend. But a balcony is a Very Nice upgrade from a inside. Im confident in my bids as my cruise have almost no OV left but lots of balcony and mini suite still available. NCL might like to open up a few more OV if they oversold the GTY OV. Im sure they would rather get a few hundred more for the open balcony than just do a free upgrade on the GTY OVs.

I do not follow/read all the post about the bidding thing.iwe have had family suite on last several cruise's and was plenty happy with that so the offer to upgrade was of no interest to me. I will say I am almost certain I read somewhere outrageously low bids had been excepted. Like no rhyme or reason....so maybe you have a chance.

I book what I want and any upgrade would have to be cheap to peak my interest.

Is it correct if you bid and change to a Haven cabin/suite you lose your current perks and don't receive the perks that typically come with a Haven cabin (which is everything that is offered), or any for that matter.

I specifically asked my NCL CC about a week ago whether I would lose my current perks if I won an upgrade. He said no - all would carry over.

I specifically asked my NCL CC about a week ago whether I would lose my current perks if I won an upgrade. He said no - all would carry over.

Be careful about questions and answers as they pertain to perks.

There are different kinds of perks. Certain rooms come with Spa Access. Some do not.

There are also the "perks" that are the beverage package, food package, etc.

Spa is one of those that can be an issue. This is from the NCL Q&A page which I would trust over what an employee might say.

14. If you are currently in a ‘Spa’ cabin and submit an Offer to upgrade to a higher category, we cannot guarantee that you will be assigned to another ‘Spa’ cabin within the upgraded category. If your Offer is accepted and you do not get assigned to another ‘Spa’ cabin, you will be forfeiting the complimentary access to the Spa.

...I read somewhere outrageously low bids had been excepted. Like no rhyme or reason........

If you read through the long threads, there have been folks that got rooms for the bare minimum. Others paid hundreds to get a balcony.

There is a good reason this vary widely. It all depends on the week, occupancy and biggest factor is other people that are bidding. If very few bid and they bid low, they get it. If lots of people bid and few people bid high, they get it. Gonna vary weekly.

Let me try this again garycarla: the point of my post was to answer a specific portion (quoted) of fdpevey's post about losing "your current perks" if you bid and won an upgrade. Both I and my CC know "my current perks" whatever they may be and for each he confirmed they would carry over. So while you are correct that a "spa" perk might not carry over (I knew that), the primary point I was trying to convey was 1) some or all of "your current perks" could be preserved and 2) it is important to ask and confirm before bidding. Hope that clarifies.

I am just wondering if all this discussion on this thread and on the roll calls is a "good" thing. I just saw on the 9/10 sailing of the BA. Someone posted that their offer of $50 pp for a balcony was accepted about 3 weeks ago. Someone else posted that they just received a rejection letter that their $65pp for a balcony was not accepted.

I would not want anyone else knowing before my offer was accepted/rejected what I bid. JMO.

I am just wondering if all this discussion on this thread and on the roll calls is a "good" thing. I just saw on the 9/10 sailing of the BA. Someone posted that their offer of $50 pp for a balcony was accepted about 3 weeks ago. Someone else posted that they just received a rejection letter that their $65pp for a balcony was not accepted.

I would not want anyone else knowing before my offer was accepted/rejected what I bid. JMO.

So true.

But don't let them know not to post! Just don't post your own! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree. I would not post until I either WON or LOST a bid.

As to why somebody won with a $50 bid and a $65 did not... maybe NCL needed the specific cabin that the $50 people had - connecting, HC, etc.?? Or maybe one person came from OV that they needed, and the other was an Inside that they did not need. Or the opposite. Without more data points, it is hard to say.

Edited by garycarla

I would agree. I would not post until I either WON or LOST a bid.

As to why somebody won with a $50 bid and a $65 did not... maybe NCL needed the specific cabin that the $50 people had - connecting, HC, etc.?? Or maybe one person came from OV that they needed, and the other was an Inside that they did not need. Or the opposite. Without more data points, it is hard to say.

Could be many reasons. If NCL had more GTY sales than rooms, the bid with the room needed would be taken 1st over higher bid if their room was not needed, ie: higher amount available. Or the lower bid was a more loyal user.

NCL Star

3rd Sept departing Venice

Booked obstructed oceanview, bid £105 pp (£210 total) for a balcony and mini suite. Neither bid accepted, notified approx 48 hrs prior to depart.

Another couple on our cruise apparently had their upgrade offer accepted and were allocated a new cabin number. When they checked in NCL claimed they had no details of the upgrade. As far as I know they were given their original cabin but their baggage hadn't arrived by 10pm at either their current cabin or the one they were told they were being upgraded to. Never bumped into them the rest of the cruise so not sure how it worked out for them.

NCL Star

3rd Sept departing Venice

Booked obstructed oceanview, bid £105 pp (£210 total) for a balcony and mini suite. Neither bid accepted, notified approx 48 hrs prior to depart.

Another couple on our cruise apparently had their upgrade offer accepted and were allocated a new cabin number. When they checked in NCL claimed they had no details of the upgrade. As far as I know they were given their original cabin but their baggage hadn't arrived by 10pm at either their current cabin or the one they were told they were being upgraded to. Never bumped into them the rest of the cruise so not sure how it worked out for them.

#1 Rule when you travel.

Take copies of documents. This is especially important when you have changes made to a reservation. They may not have gotten that room, but would have a much better chance of getting something.

I wish we could find out what really happened. (there is often more to the story)

#1 Rule when you travel.

Take copies of documents. This is especially important when you have changes made to a reservation. They may not have gotten that room, but would have a much better chance of getting something.

I wish we could find out what really happened. (there is often more to the story)

Agree, I would be most curious if they had proof of charge. Also in something so easily proven (like credit card statement showing upgrade and an upgrade email) they (ncl) would have done something, not nothing. Guest services will ALWAYS let you use their computer if you have something like that (to have internet access), or phone in a true emergency.... they are in the business of hospitality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly, you have to take what people say on the Internet with a grain of salt. Without evidence or confirmation, a person could simply say anything that they wanted.

What you know is that someone "claimed" that a bid of $50 was accepted. We have no proof either way.

What you know is that someone "claimed" that a bid of $65 was rejected. We have no proof either way.

The takeaway is to not put a lot of stock into claims made on the Internet. A lesson that we all learn each time a reviewer states that the food on their cruise was "inedible" even though other people were, in fact, eating it.

Honestly, you have to take what people say on the Internet with a grain of salt. Without evidence or confirmation, a person could simply say anything that they wanted.

What you know is that someone "claimed" that a bid of $50 was accepted. We have no proof either way.

What you know is that someone "claimed" that a bid of $65 was rejected. We have no proof either way.

The takeaway is to not put a lot of stock into claims made on the Internet. A lesson that we all learn each time a reviewer states that the food on their cruise was "inedible" even though other people were, in fact, eating it.

Lol, So True. Posting low winning bids might be a ploy to keep others from over bidding them.

Lol, So True. Posting low winning bids might be a ploy to keep others from over bidding them.

That is true.

I doubt that this was the case in the particular incident I mentioned, since they were posting rejection letters on the day of the sailing. 9/10

Not sure what anyone would get out of lying about their bid at that point.

Or what they "claimed" they bid. I guess some people always want to - one up - someone else.

Well...

The last few posts really resonated what I've been thinking since I began following this thread... Folks should really only depend on two sources of advice regarding all your booking & cruise needs... Your cruise company or/and your TA.

Threads like this are just topically related, and more often than not, the entire A-Z will have lacked somewhat in passing from the actual event, to post, which is no big deal, the problem is though, how seriously some people take it.

I for one, see it interesting, but not something that I find altogether that important, but each to their own!

People who pay for their inside cabins/balcony/suites etc outright for their cruise holiday have exactly what they paid for.

Those who can, or wish to bid to upgrade have to accept it's a lottery of variables which will always be case dependant...

It's not clear cut, there's no real strategy to it, and no certain outcome.

You win your bid, fantastic, you don't, well sure nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Hopefully your cruise holiday will be the highlight of your year either way...

My 10 cents.

Well...

The last few posts really resonated what I've been thinking since I began following this thread... Folks should really only depend on two sources of advice regarding all your booking & cruise needs... Your cruise company or/and your TA....

Not going to argue where a cruiser should get information, but... you are here?

LOL... just chatting. No slams.