Alaska Excursions, helicopter to glacier

tracid

Looking for some insight and opinions on this. I would love to do but little concerned, quite claustrophobic but don't want to miss out on experience.

Tiny and tight ride? How many persons usually? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking for some insight and opinions on this. I would love to do but little concerned, quite claustrophobic but don't want to miss out on experience.

Tiny and tight ride? How many persons usually? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Save your money for that Hawaii cruise and a helicopter ride across the NaPali coast of Kauai. For Alaska, take a floatplane ride on an old dehavilland beaver (before they all disappear.

BTW, both will be somewhat cramped and noisy (though you get noise-canceling headphones). But, bottom line, flying over a glacier for 15 minutes of unchanging scenery vs an hour over once-in-a-lifetime amazement is a "no-brainer" decision.

Our helicopter tour and landing on the glacier is also our most memorable Alaska excursion. We have since experienced the awesome helicopter tour of Kauai, including the gorgeous NaPali coast and waterfalls. I would highly recommend both if you have the opportunity! Unforgettable! :cool:

Usually 3 or 4 passengers .

Depends on weight .

Do it !

Cruised Alaska several times and the helicopter landing on the glacier is still the most memorable Alaska shore tour for us .

Which means they will ask how much you weigh. Some people are sensitive about that question.

We did it and enjoyed it. My wife sometimes has problems with claustrophobia, but she was OK. The flight is just a few minutes.

I'm inclined to agree with MCC, walking around on the glacier was very cool.

We also did the helicopter flight with an hour of walking on the glacier. It was FABULOUS. Yes, you have to tell them your weight - DO NOT LIE - they use the weights to balance the aircraft! On ours, it turned out there were only two of us, so it was REALLY great - I got to sit in the front next to the pilot, and the glacier walk was very geared to our pace, etc. But it's still going to be only a small group. Yes, it was expensive. And yes, we're glad we did it!

BTW, I was really kind of scared about going on a helicopter, but I was entranced from the first!

You hit three of my favorite concepts - Alaska, helicopter and glacier. If you can find a helicopter excursion where you're sure not to be seated in the back seat in the middle, then you ought to be fine with the claustrophobia thing. Both DH and I suffer from that in different circumstances, but neither of us has a problem with helicopters. I doubt I'd enjoy the sardine-pack scenario of four people in the back seat, but I haven't had to do that yet.

As others have said, they will ask for your weight. They will probably weigh you before the flight. Once we had the helicopter rep bring a bathroom scale to the pier and do a public weigh-in. So, I think you need to be fine with that possibility. Other companies we've seen have a fairly discreet system in the office, where you step onto a scale and others can't see the result.

Heavier passengers of the group always sit in the middle to keep the helicopter balanced. And while you do sit shoulder to shoulder, I don't remember feeling cramped. I'm not claustrophobic, but there are a lot of windows in the helicopter.

I'm partial to taking the sea plane tour, but I'm and old pilot and enjoy that nostalgic type of flying.

Burt

There are several areas where you can do helicopter glacier landings. Juneau, Skagway, Seward, Girdwood and possibly more. Some have different size helicopters. If you’re concerned you might consider looking at who provides a larger helicopter.

Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate. Still chewing on, and all boils down to my time in that little heli, will look up sizing if u can.

Weigh in, no prob, is what it is and no need to be embarrassed. Thanks to all!

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with an Alaskan cruise. The only excursion I had to have was the helicopter ride and glacier hike. It was the best highlight of the cruise! Our helicopter had 3 in the back and 3 up front including pilot. It was not a tight fit. You are looking out the Windows so much I think you would forget being claustrophobic lol! I don't like to spend money on duplicate excursions, but I WILL do this again :D