Southampton Embarcation

kevg1889

How strict are P&O when it comes to boarding times at Southampton? We have a long drive down so depending on traffic could arrive quite early, and with having my 94 year old mother in a wheelchair I dont fancy sitting around too long. Once on-board is ity just the buffet thats open or can you get afternoon tea? Its only a two day taster on board Ventura to see how my mum copes with getting around etc, so I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for her

How strict are P&O when it comes to boarding times at Southampton? We have a long drive down so depending on traffic could arrive quite early, and with having my 94 year old mother in a wheelchair I dont fancy sitting around too long. Once on-board is ity just the buffet thats open or can you get afternoon tea? Its only a two day taster on board Ventura to see how my mum copes with getting around etc, so I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for her

Your e-ticket will have a boarding time, but you might get away with arriving early due to your mother being in a wheelchair.

I have not sailed with P&O yet but as I understand it, only the buffet is open on embarkation day. Not sure if a kind of self service afternoon tea will be available in the buffet?

Why not phone P&O and explain the situation re your mum. Surely they would do what they could to help. Nothing ventured (if you excuse the phrase) nothing gained

Have a lovely holiday - glad you got that cabin too :)

If you haven't done so already, I would call P&O and say that you would like assisted boarding and disembarkation, due to the wheelchair (even if you were intending to push your mother on yourself). They have a small army of assistance staff in high vis vests who will bypass queues and get you on quicker and take you all the way to the buffet. Best of all, on disembarkation day you go to a designated lounge or room after breakfast and again they will bypass all queues and will help you locate luggage and wheel your mother back to your car. All very civilised and hassle free and you will get on and off far quicker. Personally, I would arrive around an hour before your allocated time. You may have to wait an hour but are more likely to be on board early as they don't hang around getting assistance passengers on. My wife is sadly in a wheelchair and cruising is the only overseas holiday she is now happy to do as they make it almost hassle free and the staff on the ship are very accommodating. You might overhear some ignorant and sarcastic comments from able bodied passengers about the number of wheelchairs and scooters on board, but hopefully at 94 your mother won't hear them :D

I'm sure there was a very similar question a couple of years back and the poster reported that they had been allowed to board early. P&O are sympathetic to the needs of those with a disability and will also assist with your boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a taster cruise last year with my Best friend.

She had terminal cancer and did not know if how she would be at the time and requested wheelchair assist on embarkation. She took a turn for the worse the night before we got off and was able to disembark way before we did. So much so we did not know until she had left and on her way home.

As others have said call P&O and request it, it will make the waist and experience so much better.