Queen's Grill dress code.

majortom10

My observation is that evening dress in the grills is usually more understated than in Britannia.  Pants and a jacket on non formal nights for dinner, no tie is necessary, you can wear a polo shirt and take off the jacket.  Formal night, pants, sport jacket and tie would be the minimum.  Lunch and breakfast, men can of course wear shorts and sports wear. Cross dressing is OK too.

9 hours ago, resistk said:

My observation is that evening dress in the grills is usually more understated than in Britannia.  

I found the opposite when I was on QM2.  But that was pre-Covid, so maybe things have changed.

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

I found the opposite when I was on QM2.  But that was pre-Covid, so maybe things have changed.

I don’t understand how one can know. Nobody dines in both restaurants the same night.  So how do you form a judgement? 

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t understand how one can know. Nobody dines in both restaurants the same night.  So how do you form a judgement? 

Going to the Queens Room you go through the Britannia Upper Deck.

2 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Going to the Queens Room you go through the Britannia Upper Deck.

I can say I ever have. Not during dinner. Surely going from the Grills Restaurants, you would just go down one of the D lifts? Or am I on the wrong ship?

• Like 1

We are currently on a QM-2 crossing to New York in QG.  I have noted at dinner 20 to 30 of the men are not wearing jackets.

I queried it and was told that on formal nights jackets are a requirement and it is enforced.  On other nights the requirements for jackets has been relaxed since the pandemic because there have been so many complaints that I can’t breathe in a jacket to my doctor……….  I am told they are fighting a losing battle.  As a casual observer I would say it is mainly Americans who are less likely to conform.

On another matter there is an enormous dog in the QG cabin next to us.  It is there 24 hours and fortunately it doesn’t bark.  The crew tell me it is a Siberian something or other, 2m long and 1m tall.  It gets off in New York and I’m glad I’m not the next one in that cabin.  I am told it provides no other services except as a support to the owner.  Apparently you can buy certificates off the internet in the USA saying they are essential to your health.  I think you have to get a doctor’s certificate for this kind of thing in the UK.  I am told that more and more dogs are allowed in cabins and not using the onboard kennels.

What’s the world coming to?!!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

We are currently on a QM-2 crossing to New York in QG.  I have noted at dinner 20 to 30 of the men are not wearing jackets.

I queried it and was told that on formal nights jackets are a requirement and it is enforced.  On other nights the requirements for jackets has been relaxed since the pandemic because there have been so many complaints that I can’t breathe in a jacket to my doctor……….  I am told they are fighting a losing battle.  As a casual observer I would say it is mainly Americans who are less likely to conform.

On another matter there is an enormous dog in the QG cabin next to us.  It is there 24 hours and fortunately it doesn’t bark.  The crew tell me it is a Siberian something or other, 2m long and 1m tall.  It gets off in New York and I’m glad I’m not the next one in that cabin.  I am told it provides no other services except as a support to the owner.  Apparently you can buy certificates off the internet in the USA saying they are essential to your health.  I think you have to get a doctor’s certificate for this kind of thing in the UK.  I am told that more and more dogs are allowed in cabins and not using the onboard kennels.

What’s the world coming to?!!

Airlines have eliminated “support” animals for some time now. I guess when pigs and ostriches board a plane, that ended that policy. 
In this case, that dog onboard QM2 should be in the kennel, period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJChatsworth said:

On other nights the requirements for jackets has been relaxed since the pandemic because there have been so many complaints that I can’t breathe in a jacket to my doctor……….  I am told they are fighting a losing battle.  As a casual observer I would say it is mainly Americans who are less likely to conform.

"Doctor, I can't breathe if I wear a jacket.  I need a note."  - That's definitely a new one...

And I regret to say that I believe you that it is mainly Americans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJChatsworth said:

Apparently you can buy certificates off the internet in the USA saying they are essential to your health.  I think you have to get a doctor’s certificate for this kind of thing in the UK.  

Yes, this scam was very popular for a while in the USA.  People would go online and buy a certificate, sometimes even from an "MD", that their beloved pet was a service animal, and therefore had to be allowed on airplanes, in restaurants or shops, etc.  You could buy little "service animal" vests for the pet.

For airplane travel, it would allow the person to bring their pet into the main cabin for free, to be with them, rather than in the cargo hold below.  Of course, many times these so-called service animals were unruly or ill-trained.  People became resentful over what was clearly an abuse of a good concept (same thing with people using wheelchairs to get onto planes early to snag the prime seats, but that's a story for another day).

Because of certain US laws on discrimination, the airlines couldn't challenge the person by asking what medical condition they had that required them to have their pet designated as a "service animal".

But I think the airlines have started to clue in, and are taking measure to ensure people don't abuse the system anymore.

I'd prefer animals in cabins (especially cats) to folk who can't breathe in jackets! 🤣🤣

Carmel & Hazel spent a night in an Ibis Hotel at Rheims during their 1,239 mile drive to get here from Scotland. They allocated an accessible room with hard floors and we took a brush and dustpan along to clean up any cat litter that got scattered.

They could perhaps supply oxygen for those that can't breathe in jackets.

59 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

But I think the airlines have started to clue in, and are taking measure to ensure people don't abuse the system anymore.

It really took the FAA to rule on this for airlines to make the change and the airlines jumped on the new rules right away.  The FAA said that emotional support animals are not service animals and that dogs are the only allowed service animals on planes.   As a frequent flyer, it was like night and day after the ruling.  People could bring their emotional support animals on board, but just had to pay the pet fee.  Much less pets (emotional support animals) flying after that. 

I'm surprised that Cunard allowed this huge dog is on the QM2.  That's terrible.   Hopefully the owner and animal are not out and about.   The FAA rules clearly don't apply to cruise ships, but I wonder if because Cunard is owned by Carnival if the ADA applies.   I love dogs, but anything that large as a service animal, really?  🙄

2 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

It really took the FAA to rule on this for airlines to make the change and the airlines jumped on the new rules right away.  The FAA said that emotional support animals are not service animals and that dogs are the only allowed service animals on planes.   As a frequent flyer, it was like night and day after the ruling.  People could bring their emotional support animals on board, but just had to pay the pet fee.  Much less pets (emotional support animals) flying after that. 

I'm surprised that Cunard allowed this huge dog is on the QM2.  That's terrible.   Hopefully the owner and animal are not out and about.   The FAA rules clearly don't apply to cruise ships, but I wonder if because Cunard is owned by Carnival if the ADA applies.   I love dogs, but anything that large as a service animal, really?  🙄

Let us hope, even more than usual, QM2 doesn’t hit an iceberg. Imagine sharing a lifeboat with that thing.

5 minutes ago, D&N said:

I'd prefer animals in cabins (especially cats) to folk who can't breathe in jackets! 🤣🤣

Carmel & Hazel spent a night in an Ibis Hotel at Rheims during their 1,239 mile drive to get here from Scotland. They allocated an accessible room with hard floors and we took a brush and dustpan along to clean up any cat litter that got scattered.

They could perhaps supply oxygen for those that can't breathe in jackets.

I like cats very much and dislike dogs, but I understand that people are much more commonly allergic to cats than dogs. You clearly did your very best, but it might have been hard on the next occupant if they were allergic to cats. 🙂

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I like cats very much and dislike dogs, but I understand that people are much more commonly allergic to cats than dogs. You clearly did your very best, but it might have been hard on the next occupant if they were allergic to cats. 🙂

The hotel did charge a fee, which one hopes was intended to pay for enhanced cleaning.

Personally my sympathies lie with cats that are allergic to humans. I don't think I've ever met anyone I actually liked who claimed to have such an allergy.

18 minutes ago, D&N said:

The hotel did charge a fee, which one hopes was intended to pay for enhanced cleaning.

Personally my sympathies lie with cats that are allergic to humans. I don't think I've ever met anyone I actually liked who claimed to have such an allergy.

I know a couple of people who are allergic, but only mildly. The have cats. 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I know a couple of people who are allergic, but only mildly. The have cats. 🙂

I respect that.

If I was smitten with such a problem, I would be looking for a medical or psychiatric solution for me, or I would suffer. I would never consider living without at least one cat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D&N said:

I quite like my husband. He is allergic to some cats and some types of dogs.

I wouldn’t be very happy staying in a room which has had cats or dogs as residents.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I wouldn’t be very happy staying in a room which has had cats or dogs as residents.

Noted.

31 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Problem is they probably wouldn't tell the next guest in that room that a large beast of a dog was the former occupant..... Hopefully they can remove the dog smell and any allergens.   Just had an awful thought..... where does a dog that size go to the bathroom.   I can't even....

Edited by Joe33472

2 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

I wouldn’t have thought ADA would apply as the ship is registered in Bermuda ? I know Canival Corp is US based. Doesn’t seem right at all. 

9 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Problem is they probably wouldn't tell the next guest in that room that a large beast of a dog was the former occupant..... Hopefully they can remove the dog smell and any allergens.   Just had an awful thought..... where does a dog that size go to the bathroom.   I can't even....

No, they wouldn't, but my husbands allergy is so bad, it's nothing to do with smell and all to do with the allergens.

The cleaning would have to be on an industrial scale to remove all traces.

• Like 1