Big box TA emailed me this. Anyone use this sort of service?

jruben18

For the first time I transferred a reservation to a big box TA for an upcoming March 2016 Azamara cruise. Today I received this email from the TA which I have redacted to remove anything that would identify the TA or the shore excursion booking company they use. Have people used this service. Is so, good outcome?

"Dear ------ Traveler,

With your cruise departure date drawing near, we invite you to visit the website of our independent shore excursions supplier, ______.

Pre-booking your shore excursions can save you time and money. _______ offers independent excursions in most ports around the world, with prices that typically are lower than those offered by the cruise line.

When you're ready to purchase a shore excursion, enter your itinerary information and begin shopping. Should you require assistance, Shore Excursions experts are available at ---------, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Eastern Time. At the time of booking, please provide your ------ Travel coupon code: ------- to receive your --------- member discount.

------------ requires reservations to be made at least three days in advance of your ship's departure, so that they have the ability to ensure all of the arrangements are confirmed and finalized. Reservations made within three days will be charged a $25 Expedite fee.

To inquire about trip protection coverage for your added shore excursions, please contact your travel insurance provider.

We wish you a wonderful cruise vacation.

Need help? Call -------- toll free at -----------."

I have received these emails as well. They appear to be completely legit. I have found, however, that the costs were not that much better than the cruise line's offering, and the selection and itineraries are usually not as interesting. I find the best value and variety is to book with a private tour company, where they will usually customize their itineraries to suit our specific interests. Examples of customization: a ride on the subway system in St. Petersburg with it's palace like stations, or a visit to the Railway Market in Bangkok to watch the daily passenger train forces all shopping to stop for the few minutes it takes to pass by, or a side trip to a little known temple in Cambodia where tourists rarely go.

I have received these emails as well. They appear to be completely legit. I have found, however, that the costs were not that much better than the cruise line's offering, and the selection and itineraries are usually not as interesting. I find the best value and variety is to book with a private tour company, where they will usually customize their itineraries to suit our specific interests. Examples of customization: a ride on the subway system in St. Petersburg with it's palace like stations, or a visit to the Railway Market in Bangkok to watch the daily passenger train forces all shopping to stop for the few minutes it takes to pass by, or a side trip to a little known temple in Cambodia where tourists rarely go.

Had to smile at this - it appears most of us customise to exactly the same tourist attractions :D. Did you go to the floating markets while in Bangkok, too?

Almost all big agencies have the ability to book their own shore excursions now. Almost all of these agencies are working in concert with a supplier - like Viator - for example. Compare all your options (cruise line, independent, big company tours, Viator, etc.) and make sure you read the tour meeting times before booking. I've seen some of these have a meeting time that was a few hours before the ship even arrives. :cool: