Television hdmi plug in on the Equinox.

brooklynjeff

In Jan 2015, I was able to get my Apple TV hooked up to our stateroom TV aboard Eclipse. Back then, I didn't have access to wi-fi and so I mirrored a couple of movies from my iPhone/iPad.

31980759743_18582a980a_b.jpg

31980760563_26ca42c9f1_b.jpg

In 2014 aboard Eclipse I connected our laptop to our stateroom TV via HDMI to watch Blu-Ray movies:

14653328729_b2ba37e465_b.jpg

This year we had our PlayStation 4 connected via HDMI to our stateroom TV aboard Infinity.

32595172945_c67e4d509e_b.jpg

There is no resident content on the Roku box itself to watch and so, yeah, you're gonna need wi-fi. After making speed measurements, I don't think the ship wi-fi is fast enough to support any kind of decent video streaming esp if you want hi-def.

Also you may have issues with getting the Roku to connect to the wireless network itself. We had to connect our PlayStation 4 last month onto the Infinity wireless network to download updates for it. It would not connect to the network by simply selecting the network from the network menu like you would at home. Instead you had to go to the PlayStation web browser in order to get to the ship's login web page. From there we were able to put in our username and password and then it was connected. I don't know how you would do that with the Roku, if that is required.

I can verify that you can hook up an AppleTV and Roku to an HDMI.

While I would say the ability to stream would be difficult it is possible for short periods of time if there is a lot of bandwidth available. I use mine in a different mode - I use Plex and have my content on a removable drive.

You do have to have a bit of technology and internet experience in order to use either. To communicate with your device via a remote control your AppleTV or Roku must be on the same network.

It is impossible to just connect either device (AppleTv or Roku) to the wifi. The ship's wifi is like most public wifi's. You connect to the hotspot then on your phone/tablet or pc a webpage pops up and asks for your credentials. This isn't available directly on you device.

You can google on using Roku or IPhone in Hotel's and there are many tutorials or videos on how to set up a mini internal network/hotspot.

What do you want to do? You will probably not be able to stream movies or programs due to copyright laws. I take my fire stick and kindle fire to Maui, connect to tv and wifi and it's like I'm at home. Tried the same in Mexico and couldn't. It knows what country you are in and that you have a US account which does not pay for Mexican copyrights. Your cruise will be in many places with many different copyright laws so you will be limited to just what materials you have downloaded on your device. I bought an album for iTunes when I was in Europe. I can only have it on my phone since I didn't buy US rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got back from the NCL Spirit, We had movie channels on our tv in our cabin. We also had news channels MSNBC and BBC. But we weren't in our cabin enough to watch a movie. We only watched news channel when getting ready for our day or for dinner.

Get out of your cabin, meet new people and enjoy the ship. [emoji847]

Just got back from the NCL Spirit, We had movie channels on our tv in our cabin. We also had news channels MSNBC and BBC. But we weren't in our cabin enough to watch a movie. We only watched news channel when getting ready for our day or for dinner.

Thanks, I never considered that. [emoji15]

Edited by merlin5353
  • Like 1

Let everybody enjoy doing what *they* like to do

Our TV was on for a total of about 10 minutes on our recent 12 nighter on the Anthem. If I had my way it wouldn't have been on even that long. Anyone can do whatever they want, it's their vacation, but if I wanted to sit around and watch TV I would stay at home and save the $4,000!

It is great that many of you are so occupied during your cruise that you have no need to have the television on.

But honestly, more input on the original question would be appreciated. My wife and I love being able to flip on Netflix at night and go to sleep to it or maybe on one of our sea days we wanna order some room service and continue a series we are watching.

I have an upcoming cruise in May, for 10 nights, and I have all the toys (Roku, Fire TV, etc.) and I have the highest stream package. I think the obstacle becomes

A. When I select the Ship Wifi how do I input the login from the browser on a Roku/Fire TV

B. How vastly different will the shows on Netflix be once we are international

C. Would it work if I bought a "signal repeater" or a mini router to accept the terms and then I can stream to the Roku that way (I realize I am imposing an "ethical" question as people will assume I just want to be able to stream to more than one device but my wife and I both have the highest unlimited package and I truly just want to use it to stream to the Fire TV.

If anybody has any experience with this, their input is very much appreciated.

Thanks

A. When I select the Ship Wifi how do I input the login from the browser on a Roku/Fire TV

Thanks

My memory with connecting the Playstation 4 to the ship's (Infinity) wireless network is sketchy even though we did it last month! It took my son and I about an hour of trial and error to get it done but some of it was due to the poor wireless signal we were getting in our large cabin.

Here are the two things that I really remember because it surprised me that I had to do it:

1. I had to select the Advanced Setup option when I was connecting to the wireless signal. This advanced option is something that is on the PlayStation screen when you try to find a wireless signal (it is not a Celebrity thing). I paged through all the options onthe PlayStation screen and didn't change any of the network defaults. When I did that, I was able to connect. Before, when I didn't select that option and selected the ship's wi-fi from the PlayStation menu, it would try to connect and then time out which resulted in an error code. I had to look up on google on my iPhone to see what it meant and what to do about it, but that didn't give me any useful answers because the problem was not too common. I used the Advance Setup option out of pure desperation and as a last resort.

2. After connecting we went to the web browser on the PlayStation. Using the web browser, we got the ship's internet log in screen that required you to input your username and password that you specified when you set up your internet account once you got on board.

After that, we were good. We needed to connect to get some updates for his PlayStation so that we could play a couple of Blu Ray movies. We also needed to download some software to make his Sony VR goggles to work. He got those for Christmas during the cruise since we were at sea on Dec 25!

My memory with connecting the Playstation 4 to the ship's (Infinity) wireless network is sketchy even though we did it last month! It took my son and I about an hour of trial and error to get it done but some of it was due to the poor wireless signal we were getting in our large cabin.

Here are the two things that I really remember because it surprised me that I had to do it:

1. I had to select the Advanced Setup option when I was connecting to the wireless signal. This advanced option is something that is on the PlayStation screen when you try to find a wireless signal (it is not a Celebrity thing). I paged through all the options onthe PlayStation screen and didn't change any of the network defaults. When I did that, I was able to connect. Before, when I didn't select that option and selected the ship's wi-fi from the PlayStation menu, it would try to connect and then time out which resulted in an error code. I had to look up on google on my iPhone to see what it meant and what to do about it, but that didn't give me any useful answers because the problem was not too common. I used the Advance Setup option out of pure desperation and as a last resort.

2. After connecting we went to the web browser on the PlayStation. Using the web browser, we got the ship's internet log in screen that required you to input your username and password that you specified when you set up your internet account once you got on board.

After that, we were good. We needed to connect to get some updates for his PlayStation so that we could play a couple of Blu Ray movies. We also needed to download some software to make his Sony VR goggles to work. He got those for Christmas during the cruise since we were at sea on Dec 25!

Yea I have done a little research after posting and it seems like with Roku it will go through the initial connect phase and error out on "internet" but will then ask if you are in a hotel/dorm and you would say yes. You then when need to login via another device that is internet connected (smartphone) and use the passcode given. So essentially you will need 2 internet enabled devices to get this done

Fire TV seems to allow you to do it all within the one interface as it will open up a web browser where you can toggle the login information. Will probably bring this instead of the Roku.

Certainly if possible want to make sure everything is completely updated prior to leaving for the cruise.

I will likely be bringing my Nintendo Switch console, Fire TV, one iphone and one android phone, Fire Tablet and a mini PC so its good to know that there are options out there for inside the cabin as well as outside of it. Will probably have to consider downloading some stuff just in case the internet speeds don't want to play nice with the devices but I have heard good things as well.

We always bring a tiny media center with us with tons of movies (mostly for the kids).

Just be aware that there is a small chance that you might not be able to use the HDMI ports on the TV. I found this to be less of an issue recently - but in the past it was frequently a challenge.

Often (now) you may find one of the additional HDMI ports active - if so you can use that, but you might need to use the physical button on the tv to switch inputs as I don't believe the cabin remote has that option (you could also bring a universal remote).

If there are no open active HDMI ports, you may be able to swap the main cable from the ship in and out with your own (we bring and HDMI switch with us for this purpose). This will work if the ships programming cable uses HDMI (IIRC I think it does on Equinox, however on some ships it does not use HDMI - possibly Silhouette). In this case there is a chance there may be no active HDMI inputs at all. Whether you can get the ship to enable one for you is hit or miss. They did it for us when we were in an RS.

There is a fallback plan if no HDMI ports are available. With a universal remote, there is a procedure that will allow you to enable it yourself - but it isn't really for the faint of heart and I personally know of people who have messed up the TV doing it incorrectly - so I don't recommend it. Google would be your friend.

I would say you have a 70% (or better) chance that there will be no issues since as I mentioned earlier I have much better luck these days. But it wasn't too long ago that it was very difficult to connect devices to the TV.

Mike

It is great that many of you are so occupied during your cruise that you have no need to have the television on.

But honestly, more input on the original question would be appreciated. My wife and I love being able to flip on Netflix at night and go to sleep to it or maybe on one of our sea days we wanna order some room service and continue a series we are watching.

I have an upcoming cruise in May, for 10 nights, and I have all the toys (Roku, Fire TV, etc.) and I have the highest stream package. I think the obstacle becomes

B. How vastly different will the shows on Netflix be once we are international

C. Would it work if I bought a "signal repeater" or a mini router to accept the terms and then I can stream to the Roku that way (I realize I am imposing an "ethical" question as people will assume I just want to be able to stream to more than one device but my wife and I both have the highest unlimited package and I truly just want to use it to stream to the Fire TV.

Thanks

I just download Netflix/Amazon Video to my tablet, then stream those direct. You do need to be on a network to do so, but it is not streaming. You could even take a small wireless router to create your network if you were so inclined. You wouldn't need to connect to the ship's network and internet at all that way.

These are always hilarious. Like there is only one way to vacation. I am an introvert who works a job with constant contact with people I don't know. When I am on vacation, I like downtime, often in my cabin. I much prefer sitting on my balcony, alone, with a good book in hand then sitting by a pool with 500 other people. I like watching a movie in my cabin. Yes, I enjoy the ship, but I promise you my enjoyment on a vacation is not meeting a bunch of new people. Meeting and befriending a couple of people is nice. May come as a shock to many of you that there are people who think differently than you and have different ideas of happiness :eek::eek::eek:

If there are no open active HDMI ports, you may be able to swap the main cable from the ship in and out with your own (we bring and HDMI switch with us for this purpose). This will work if the ships programming cable uses HDMI (IIRC I think it does on Equinox, however on some ships it does not use HDMI - possibly Silhouette). In this case there is a chance there may be no active HDMI inputs at all. Whether you can get the ship to enable one for you is hit or miss. They did it for us when we were in an RS.

As you say it's hit and miss if one isn't open. We asked Guest Relations on a cruise a couple of years ago as my wife was ill and wanted to watch a dvd we'd packed, connecting our laptop to the tv.

There was a bit of reluctance to begin with, but then someone from IT came to the cabin to open a port up. We then had further issues and the chap eventually swapped out the tv for one with an open port.

Had my wife not been ill I'm not sure we would have been so lucky.

• 2 months later...

I have often had guest relations unlock our TV. It may be that we only travel in upper level suites but never had a problem.

Currently on Constellation and they have a really OLD system (not the Apple Based System). The engineer came to the room and connected the HDMI wire to the Bedroom TV and then with a special remote hit about a dozen buttons and it was unlocked. The TV's in the Royal Suite are mounted in an recessed alcove in the wall so you can't even see the ports.

He did advise that the functions like looing at your bill and ordering room service would not work after he reprogrammed it. He also had our butler get a remote for us. It is unlike the TV system on the S-Class and other M-Class Ships as you can't shift back and forth. We get all the regular ships channels and like home push the source button to attach to my Roku.

This may change shortly as they are currently upgrading the entire IT, Communications on the ship while we are sailing. We see them running new cables daily (about 10 technicians aboard for the past month). Was told that they are upgrading the communications system to the Edge Class as a beta and skipping over the current standard. Should be interesting to hear about it once completed.

• 2 months later...

We have the DISH app with our saved TV programs on an iPad. We've watched things directly on the iPad, but

would prefer to watching

it on the TV.

We're sailing on Reflection . Has anyone had experience doing what we'd like to do? A HDMI cable isn't a problem, if that will let us watch our recorded shows via the iPad.

Bobbie

The only problem with this is they don't have enough band-width for everyone to do this and it makes it difficult to get online many times. When you just need to communicate with family or business it's disappointing to know that people are doing this.

We have the DISH app with our saved TV programs on an iPad. We've watched things directly on the iPad, but

would prefer to watching

it on the TV.

We're sailing on Reflection . Has anyone had experience doing what we'd like to do? A HDMI cable isn't a problem, if that will let us watch our recorded shows via the iPad.

Bobbie

As mentioned above, it all depends on whether the HDMI port on the TV is already enabled or not. Hit or miss.

The only problem with this is they don't have enough band-width for everyone to do this and it makes it difficult to get online many times. When you just need to communicate with family or business it's disappointing to know that people are doing this.

I believe alfiemom was referring to shows already saved locally on the iPad. If so, this has nothing to do with bandwidth or getting online.

Mike