San Diego?

Crusin Karen

Any chance CCL will go back to cruising from San Diego? Sailed the Spirit twice from there and LOVE that place....would love to do a land/sea cruise from there again someday. :)

My guess is that it is an economic issue and limitation of port options. If they keep adding ships (new builds) and not selling off older ships, who knows......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My guess is that it is an economic issue and limitation of port options. If they keep adding ships (new builds) and not selling off older ships, who knows......

They do Hawaii cruises from Long Beach. Why not from San Diego? :confused:

Carnival asked for and received a new cruise terminal facility from the Port of San Diego and then promptly pulled up stakes and abandoned our new terminal. Today the space is used for weddings and meetings for the most part and it's a shame.

Houston has a brand new one that has never been used as well.

Carnival asked for and received a new cruise terminal facility from the Port of San Diego and then promptly pulled up stakes and abandoned our new terminal. Today the space is used for weddings and meetings for the most part and it's a shame.

It's such a beautiful port and so much to see and do pre and post cruise. We only sailed from there twice, but after we got home from the lst cruise I booked the exact same cruise for the following year the minute we got home! :eek: JUST so that we could go back to San Diego. That time we flew out 4 days early and rented a car and had a wonderful time exploring. I LOVE to cruise but you almost had to drag me onto the ship! :eek:I remember Mariner of the Seas always sailed from there too.

It's such a beautiful port and so much to see and do pre and post cruise. We only sailed from there twice, but after we got home from the lst cruise I booked the exact same cruise for the following year the minute we got home! :eek: JUST so that we could go back to San Diego. That time we flew out 4 days early and rented a car and had a wonderful time exploring. I LOVE to cruise but you almost had to drag me onto the ship! :eek:I remember Mariner of the Seas always sailed from there too.

We sailed on the Spirit on her 9 day cruises from our home city. The 9 day sailings included stops at La Paz and Manzanillo as well as the usual ports of Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Matzalan. I really wish Carnival would offer more of the 9 day Mexican Riviera cruises. Some times 7 days isn't enough and 12 too many, 9 days was the perfect cruise length for us.

Glad you enjoyed your stays in our little corner of the country.

We sailed on the Spirit on her 9 day cruises from our home city. The 9 day sailings included stops at La Paz and Manzanillo as well as the usual ports of Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Matzalan. I really wish Carnival would offer more of the 9 day Mexican Riviera cruises. Some times 7 days isn't enough and 12 too many, 9 days was the perfect cruise length for us.

We always did the 8 day cruises from NY. Would never do a week unless it's a B2B. That extra day is gold. We went to Mex Riviera: Acapulco, Ixtapa and Manzanillo. I have to say the itinerary was AWFUL. I would have done a Cabo/PV cruise. Or Catalina? We just LOVED San Diego. Dined every night in the Gaslamp District in one of those restaurants where you sitat an open bar IN the restaurant looking out at the street. Went to LaJolla and there was a golf tourney with Tiger Woods at Torrey Pines at the time and saw lots of players and lots of sea lions! :):) Went to Anthonys at the pier, walked all over.....just LOVED the place!

There are longer itins, hard to find. Sailed the 13 day Journeys cruise last January on the Miracle.

Princess does 9 & 10 day itins out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) and San Francisco. The San Pedro and San Francisco itins are a bit different. Also, Princess does a 7 day CA Coastal.

I totally miss cruising out of San Diego. I had many cruises on the Spirit and a few on HAL, which still has a few cruises from San Diego in between its Hawaii and Alaska cruises. I just prefer the crown on Carnival. I do a lot of Inspiration cruises and hate having to drive 2+ hours to and from Long Beach for the cruise. Next month, we will be taking the train to Anaheim and then an Uber to the port. At least there will be champagne. :)

Maybe they can build a football stadium on the pier and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Haha :D:D:D

Did not know that, how long ago was that?

It was fairly recent, my last cruise was out of that port. Nice facility, but there were some serious issues with fog. This article has some more info about it.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5439244

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love to have CCL back in San Diego, also.

I'm sailing on Imagination out of LB on the 26th and I can't figure out how to get up there and back. I mean I know how to get there but I tried to get a shuttle and it was several hundred dollars, round-trip.

I embark on Sunday so I wouldn't mind driving to Long Beach (from Mission Hills) but when we come back into port on Thursday morning at 7am the traffic in all directions from Long Beach is going to be a nightmare.

Any suggestions?

I'm sailing on Imagination out of LB on the 26th and I can't figure out how to get up there and back. I mean I know how to get there but I tried to get a shuttle and it was several hundred dollars, round-trip.

I embark on Sunday so I wouldn't mind driving to Long Beach (from Mission Hills) but when we come back into port on Thursday morning at 7am the traffic in all directions from Long Beach is going to be a nightmare.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't rush off the ship. Maybe get off around 10:00 and hopefully the traffic dies down though LA seems to have a 24/7 rush hour.

I've never understood why Carnival sails out of Long Beach instead of San Diego. What would you rather see sailing out of a port...off-shore oil rigs or Point Loma?

Long Beach is a commercial port whereas San Diego's cruise pier is nestled right downtown in a beautiful setting. I suppose San Diego charges quite a bit more to dock there. That is the only reason I can see why they use Long Beach.

Any suggestions?

You can park at the terminal for $17 a day but personally I would use Google to find parking (with shuttle service) in the vicinity of the port. Or better yet I would stay onboard the Queen Mary for a night!

Very difficult to travel from San Diego to the LA area without a car. We ended up renting a car for our cruise out of San Diego.

Leave the ship around 9 and you should miss most of the traffic.

Parking is now $19/day.

Make business sense for Carnival to use Long Beach exclusively. With the three ships, the Dome is in use 6 days a week for embark/debark. If cruising becomes more popular here then I can see them returned by to San Diego.

Any suggestions?

I posted earlier that my friends and I are taking the Amtrak train at Old Town to the Anaheim station and then take a Lyft or Uber to the port, which is about 25 miles. I've done it before --it's super easy! The train is less than $30 one way and the uber is about the same. Takes the stress out of driving...plus we bring champagne.

http://www.octa.net/pdf/LOSSANSchedule_11-7-16ALL_web.pdf.