Re-keying cards

mad-dog74

What ever the cost is (I assure you it's much more than 10 cents), it's probably at least 10x the cost of the existing non-RFID card stock they use on other ships.

you can buy RFID tags for like $0.50 each in quantities of less than a dozen. These are pretty simple little doohickies. I would be surprised if they're paying more than $0.10/ per card. The RFID tag is exceptionally simple as any and all processing is done on the reading device, the tags have very little info on them.

Edit: Just checked online. You can pick up key cards for $0.58 ea if you buy 100 at a time. So more than I expected, but still very inexpensive

So more than I expected, but still very inexpensive

That might be cost (I xrayed one to know where to punch a hole for a lanyard and there's a bit of electronics in there, chip+antenna) but it's probably 10x more than the plain cards used on other ships.

That might be cost (I xrayed one to know where to punch a hole for a lanyard and there's a bit of electronics in there, chip+antenna) but it's probably 10x more than the plain cards used on other ships.

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't suppose you have a digital image of that xray do you?

I don't suppose you have a digital image of that xray do you?

No, I didn't save it. I do know that the antenna wire is about 1/4" in from the edge of the card almost all the way around and that the chip is a bit smaller than a dime and just below the Northstar capsule. You can punch a hole anywhere else and be safe (despite what GS might tell you that they can't punch a hole in the card for you).:D

I'm so confused. We are on the Anthem this month. Kids are booked across the hall - what do we need to do so they can have access to our cabin and so we can have access to their cabin?

You will have to get at least 1 wow band for someone in each room and use those in addition to your Seapass cards.

On the Harmony they may not (probably will not? Trying to remember exactly what I read) give you extra keys. These cards have RFID chips and are EXPENSIVE.

Merion_Mom...Sorry to hjack but will be on HOTS and need to switch cabins with my adult son once onboard. Any idea how this will work on this particular ship...should we do it in the terminal or onboard :confused:...

We had to book the cabins this way (actually we have 4)...SeaPass acct. no problem everything will be on my credit card.

Thanks so much for any help.

Yikes...After reading how some above are going to remedy a similar situation....I have NO interest in wearing a WOW Band.....So Confused how we're going to work this out !

Merion_Mom...Sorry to hjack but will be on HOTS and need to switch cabins with my adult son once onboard. Any idea how this will work on this particular ship...should we do it in the terminal or onboard :confused:...

If it's a simple switch, then you simply swap Seapass cards once on board. The issue some are facing in this thread is access to more than one cabin. On ships with RFID cards, apparently extra cards are hard to come by and WOW bands might be the only solution.

Just to remember that when you get a new card, the old one is deactivated. You may be able to use it to get in or out of your cabin but you cannot use it to get off the ship. It happened to us recently on Harmony. My nephew couldn't find his card so he got a new one. He ended up finding the old one, mixed them up and then tried to use the old one to disembark at a port. NOT! He had to find the new card back in the cabin. PITA.

If it's a simple switch, then you simply swap Seapass cards once on board. The issue some are facing in this thread is access to more than one cabin. On ships with RFID cards, apparently extra cards are hard to come by and WOW bands might be the only solution.

Yes a simple switch...So you're saying just go to guest services and they'll do the switch for us ? That is what I thought but some have said that doesn't work on HOTS....I certainly hope it does...Thanks for responding.

Yes a simple switch...So you're saying just go to guest services and they'll do the switch for us ? That is what I thought but some have said that doesn't work on HOTS....I certainly hope it does...Thanks for responding.

A simple switch without having extra keys and access to different rooms should be no problem however one person that did this pre cruise ended up with their reservations all messed up.

Apparently the reservations for shows, dining, excursions etc. are linked to the guest number on the reservation and not the person. By switching A and B person A ended up with B's reservations and vice versa. It was really an issue for them as person A was an adult and had a drink package while person B was a child. When the drink package (bought on sale) was switched to the child B the package was cancelled. Had to be repurchased at full price.

This was done beforehand, not sure of what will happen on board but just wanted you to know so you could look out for this.

A simple switch without having extra keys and access to different rooms should be no problem however one person that did this pre cruise ended up with their reservations all messed up.

Apparently the reservations for shows, dining, excursions etc. are linked to the guest number on the reservation and not the person. By switching A and B person A ended up with B's reservations and vice versa. It was really an issue for them as person A was an adult and had a drink package while person B was a child. When the drink package (bought on sale) was switched to the child B the package was cancelled. Had to be repurchased at full price.

This was done beforehand, not sure of what will happen on board but just wanted you to know so you could look out for this.

Thanks so much...The only thing we're not booked for the exact same thing is the Puzzle Room on HOTS..I booked him but didn't book my self for this...if that's a problem hopefully we can sort it out onboard.

Just to share what we plan to do... We have 2 rooms booked on Anthem in March. DW and DD are booked in one room, Myself and DS booked in the other. Once on board, DW and DS will switch. So We will purchase 4 wow bands. Both my kids want one and so does my wife. Both of the kids bands will be programmed for their room. My wife's band will open the kids room, and she will also get my band (I don't want one), and that will open our room. My wife will no longer need her SeaPass Card so I will keep that with me and it will also open the kids rooms. Now, I will have both cards, with to Bev packages so I don't have to keep getting her card from her in order to get 2 drinks. She will have 2 Wow bands. In the very odd chance that she would be getting our 2 drinks.;)

Seems logical to me... right?

I know that if we get off the ship, she will need her own card back until we get back on.

EDIT: After re-reading, this seems overly complicated because of the 2 room switcheroo thing, but it would work just as well for a couple in one room getting 2 wow bands. Even if your SO never ever goes to get 2 drinks, just get them a wow band so you can keep their SeaPass Card on you.

dp

That makes great sense to me! Never thought about swapping WOW bands!