But is the Explorer really the most luxurious ship ever built?

BarbarianPaul

Eager2Travel--

Yes, ill conceived name of thread indeed, but I intended more of a global discussion initially than just my specific issues. But of course you're right.

Flossie...agreed, great suggestion. But, alas, great minds think alike and I've extensively researched that very idea. The thing is, I don't really want to do a solely Antarctic cruise. I know it would be more of an adventure, in the zodiac in rain gear and such, but the particular route from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires for us sounds more fun. It includes an Antarctic segment (scenic cruising only but I'm fine with that), and also includes some beautiful Chilean ports and cruising of the fjords, etc.

I did consider an option of starting with a 21 night segment of this route on the Seabourn Quest, followed by a three night layover in Buenos Aires, followed by a Brazil segment on Celebrity. But it didn't work for my schedule, and I don't want to wait till 2019.

My wife and I are new enough to cruising that I know we're going to enjoy it immensely. And South America, after all, is still South America.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Eager2Travel--

My wife and I are new enough to cruising that I know we're going to enjoy it immensely. And South America, after all, is still South America.

Have a great cruise, whatever you eventually choose

From your original post it appears that you have only sailed with Crystal and Regent

You will therefore need to lower your expectations if you opt for HAL, which will be a different experience; I am sure you have researched this carefully and have read the relevant reviews

Just to go back to the original question - the Explorer might well be the most 'luxurious' ship ever built, but is that the criterion most passengers are interested in? Certainly not in my case - the most well-staffed, comfortable and well designed ship would come earlier on my list of desirable requirements.

flossie...

Let's just hope we don't have too rude an awakening! That said, and maybe I'm wrong to lump all the more mass market cruise lines together, we sailed on Celebrity for a quick Alaska cruise summer. Certainly not the Regent experience, alas, but we still had a blast. And there are worse things than not eating quite so much!

flossie...

Let's just hope we don't have too rude an awakening! That said, and maybe I'm wrong to lump all the more mass market cruise lines together, we sailed on Celebrity for a quick Alaska cruise summer. Certainly not the Regent experience, alas, but we still had a blast. And there are worse things than not eating quite so much!

Unless something has changed, HAL and Celebrity (also Princess) are considered "premium" cruise lines so the culture shop may not be quite as bad. If we were going to take a premium cruise, we would select Celebrity (based on the experience of friends). HAL's reputation seems to have down in the past couple of years. Still, if you want a special itinerary, it may be worth it.

Interesting...and encouraging. We had heard the food was good on Celebrity, and indeed it was in the specialty restaurants, at least in the ship we were on, the Solstice. We only ate in the MDR a couple times, and both times the service was rushed and the food average at best. I think it used to be regarded as much higher quality than it is now.

But we still enjoyed the entire experience...Alaska was amazing...and I'm hoping the food on HAL will at least be a little better. (By the way, the dining room for the penthouses is supposedly fantastic, but alas we weren't in a penthouse.)

Good advice from both you guys, so thanks! My first thought was Silversea, which is pricey but for a once in a lifetime experience why not. The thing is, we want to see South America as well, not just a ten day Antarctica trip out of Ushuaia. And I'm not really into the whole "expedition boat" kinda thing, even though it's more up close and personal with Antarctica. It looks like a trawler to me, and I'd rather be on a real life cruise ship!

So this particular ship, the Zandaam, travels from Valparaiso to Buenos Ares with four days in the Antarctic, followed by another 12 day Brazilian coast line cruise, which--my schedule permitting--we can do back to back.

Beverage packages aren't really an issue since my wife and I only occasionally have a glass of wine, and we don't drink soda. And there aren't a ton of specialty restaurants on the ship. The excursions are monumentally pricey, and--ironically--when you price them into the cruise, as well as airfare , you wind up in Regent territory cost wise, or even higher!

But we love the thought of seeing so much of South America, and for us the schedule/itinerary is perfect. Am sure it will be a different experience, but hopefully a memorable one!

Take a look at Seabourn for Antarctica. They are a wonderful luxury line. The Quest was refitted especially for doing the Antarctica. Their excursion team is made up of 30 plus experts. We did 24 days South America in November and the next voyage was on to Antarctica so we had a small taste of what was coming. The service is usually excellent and, I believe, the Quest is a newer ship compared to Silversea

purpleally...Seabourn looks spectacular, and I'm sure it is. But I'm in love with the idea of having 34 days (21 day Antarctica Valparaiso-BA, plus a 12 day Brazil Explorer back to back cruise) for about the same price. Seeing a huge chunk of South America in one fell swoop sounds fun and makes the adventure grander.

Of course, what won't make the adventure grander is lesser dining and an older ship. But we're not monumental foodies, and we tend to love the ocean going experience no matter what. No doubt other compromises will manifest, but at this point, my wife and I being relatively new cruisers, a substantially longer cruise on a continent we've never visited trumps ultra luxury.

And for us a ship and cruise line that's new to us, as this one will be, is an interesting new universe to explore, with a new onboard culture that might have its own strengths. Ok, that's the optimist in me!

And for us a ship and cruise line that's new to us, as this one will be, is an interesting new universe to explore, with a new onboard culture that might have its own strengths. Ok, that's the optimist in me!

Barbarian Paul, I admire your style!!