Check Your Amex Offers: NCL Spend $500 Get $100 Credit

ktpc2005

I still haven't received my Amex creidt and I purchased $500 of onboard credit and received the approval offer from Amex immediately after on 2/13. Did anyone else take advantge of this offer and have the charge go through but not get the statement credit yet?

I added the $500 charge to my American Express Blue Cash Everyday card and didn't see the credit until the monthly statement has posted online. I never received an email from American Express but did receive the credit.

Could someone verify the types of AMEX cards which have this offer?

I thought I had seen someone post that the "Everyday" card had the offer, but we have this card and I am unable to find the offer listed on the website. I believe there is a "Blue Everyday" Amex as well. Maybe if t was this card they referred to? Since the offer doesn't end until April, it might be worth applying for a new Amex in order to get the credit.

I had it on my Blue Cash Everyday cards. There is a limited number of offers, so if they have all been claimed you might not see it, or if you weren't targeted for this offer you might not see it.

Just another datapoint. Charges made on 2/16. Went from pending to actual transactions on 2/17. Credits posted overnight last night, showing yesterday's date (2/18).

Thanks again for the alert OP. Unlike other lines whose gift cards can often be arbitraged or found for discounts, NCL is tough for the travel hacking couponing types. This promotion is fantastic.

One more post on this. If you have good friend or family members who have this offer and won't mind doing you a favor, it can be a win win. I have a couple of friends at work with Amex cards and they had the offer so I had them charge $500 for me and I wrote them checks for $450. It's a win-win. They make $50 and I get 10 percent off.

Gaming the system will only hurt in the long run...These offers come out every 6-8 months and I have used them a few times before. Doing what you described with your coworkers could cause this offer to not exist any longer when AMEX and NCL figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Every one on this board is gaming the system. If the offer doesn't come back, it will be because NCL intends it to be $100 off a single reservation. The "gaming" that's happening is charging the minimum $500 on the card to get $100 off or an effective 20 percent off instead of using it once toward a $2500 cruise. If NCL pulls the deal it will be because of multiple $500 purchases and I'd submit the incremental effect of having co-workers help is negligible.

The phenomenon of milking Amex offers is blogged about ad nauseum in the travel hacking universe. The cat is out of the bag. With any travel hacking opportunity, use it when you can because there is never any guarantee. (Amex, by the way, doesn't care. It costs them nothing and they are happy to have the swipe fees.)

For what it's worth, though, the Carvival/HAL version of this offer is alive and well and keeps coming back even though extreme double dipping through gift cards is blogged about extensively.

Gaming the system will only hurt in the long run...These offers come out every 6-8 months and I have used them a few times before. Doing what you described with your coworkers could cause this offer to not exist any longer when AMEX and NCL figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

How is it gaming the system when no rule is broken. Amex wants people to use its card. The more the merrier.

This will not be on all Amex accounts as these offers are targeted

Here are the details that showed up on my offers

Norwegian Cruise Line

Spend $500 or more, get $100 back

Expires: 04/30/2017

Details

Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a total of $500 or more to purchase a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line via NCL.com, by phone or through your travel agent between 2/10/17 and 4/30/17. See terms for exclusions.

Terms

Offer valid for qualifying reservations between 2/10/17 and 4/30/17. Includes spend for booking directly via NCL.com, phone, or through travel agents. Excludes purchases onboard, Norwegian gift cards, shore excursions and transportation to and from the ship. Excludes RCL, Sixthman, and Kloster. Valid only on US website. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your American Express Serve® or Bluebird® Card to take advantage of this offer. Please note that hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines do not accept prepaid cards for charges authorized in advance, although prepaid cards may be used to settle the final bill. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your prepaid card to take advantage of offers for these merchants. Enrollment limited. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Limit 1 statement credit(s) per American Express® Card across all American Express offer channels. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 4/30/2017, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: CEZN:0001

Thank you for posting this and giving us all a head's up..Saved me a lot of $$.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question....I used one of our AE cards...already..did $500 payment on fare. Now I want to use our other card for same cruise...want to prepay grats and make up rest of $500 with payment on fare....question...will the charge go to AE as ONE payment of $500...so I can make use of credit ??

Quick question....I used one of our AE cards...already..did $500 payment on fare. Now I want to use our other card for same cruise...want to prepay grats and make up rest of $500 with payment on fare....question...will the charge go to AE as ONE payment of $500...so I can make use of credit ??

That's what I plan to do, will use the "add to cart" feature to add the DSC then add enough OBC to get up to $500, check out all at once. Don't see why it wouldn't work, but I don't plan to try for a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
I have called AMEX and searched for it online and I cannot find the offer anywhere. When I call they say I had to be solicited by their marketing department in order to have received an offer. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, that's how many AmEx Offers work -- you can't ask for them, they have to be offered to you.

I am offered a few deals that are really great for me -- like this NCL credit -- and a lot of deals that are of no interest to me whatsoever. Lots of high-end retailers that I would never consider buying from, etc. I just ignore the deals that make no sense to me and click on the offers that I might be able to use.

Just an update...I did use our other card...decided to play it safe and made payment on phone ..not online...all worked out fine...just checked my AE account...charge and credit are there !!!:D

The offer filled up a few weeks ago and even if it was in your Amex offers (like it was for me) it isn't available now. The moral of this story is if you see one of these great offers and don't know if you're going to use it or not, add it to your card anyway. Once too many people add it to their cards, registrations stop for it. I lost $100 because of this. :(

I have called AMEX and searched for it online and I cannot find the offer anywhere. When I call they say I had to be solicited by their marketing department in order to have received an offer. Has anyone else had this problem?

You do not have to be solicited by AMEX for this offer. I never was, just heard about it here and went to the website and downloaded the offer to my card.

The problem may be that the offer only appears on some types of AMEX cards. It is not on the Hilton Honors AMEX for example. Are you signing into your card and looking for the link to reward offers? Once you find the list, you'll see the "add this offer to your card" option for the individual offers.

You do not have to be solicited by AMEX for this offer. I never was, just heard about it here and went to the website and downloaded the offer to my card.

The problem may be that the offer only appears on some types of AMEX cards. It is not on the Hilton Honors AMEX for example. Are you signing into your card and looking for the link to reward offers? Once you find the list, you'll see the "add this offer to your card" option for the individual offers.

This is exactly what happened to me...heard about it here..checked DH and my cards..added offer to the cards...and then a few weeks later...used the offers.

Thanks to OP for the heads up! :)