Kids ordering off adult menu?

sweetmelissa

Hi all,

We are sailing in 3 weeks with our 9 year old. He has a pretty sophisticated palate for a kid. He likes all kinds of fish and seafood. Can't stand PB&J, etc. Will he be allowed to order off the adult menu? If he is faced with chicken nuggets and pizza the entire week he will not be very happy.

Thank you!

Hi all,

We are sailing in 3 weeks with our 9 year old. He has a pretty sophisticated palate for a kid. He likes all kinds of fish and seafood. Can't stand PB&J, etc. Will he be allowed to order off the adult menu? If he is faced with chicken nuggets and pizza the entire week he will not be very happy.

Thank you!

Your son will indeed be able to order anything, and everything, off the adult menu.

Our kids did on their first cruise. They loved everything they tried. We suffered when we got home as they expected adult meals at restaurants. :eek: Since we were paying, we politely relegated them back to the kids menus for a while longer. :D

Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone. This is a relief. He will be thrilled. Last year we were at an all inclusive resort and one of the restaurants had an octopus carpaccio appetizer. He asked if he could try it. When they brought it, he loved it. Scarfed it down and asked for seconds. So he will be happy to be able to try anything he likes!

Thanks again!

I'm so glad you asked this. My 9yr old eats like a lumberjack working 12 hour shifts. I have a hollow legged teen too. I booked a cruise for a good value on feeding them for a vacation. They're rarely full & see the cruise as "challenge accepted" on packing away groceries. 😊 I'm not encouraging waste, at all, with them, there's not much. They eat just about anything & will both try anything once.

No problem as far as we've seen. Last cruise Son ordered off the kids' menu for dinner (he's autistic, so he likes consistency and comfort foods wherever he goes) but he ordered off the adult menu for dessert several times. His favorite was the creme brulee' and he normally haaaaaaaaaates sweets/candy (with a handful of exceptions, none of which were available aboard ship. Or if they were, we weren't going to let him know so he didn't have a meltdown about not having it).

My twin girls were 8 on our first cruise- and one of their favorite things was to try the sushi every night at the sushi bar! We had late dinner, so we would go to the sushi bar every night for appetizers, and then head to dinner. 6 years later, they still love sushi (and we all miss the free sushi bar concept!).

Your son will indeed be able to order anything, and everything, off the adult menu.

Our kids did on their first cruise. They loved everything they tried. We suffered when we got home as they expected adult meals at restaurants. :eek: Since we were paying, we politely relegated them back to the kids menus for a while longer. :D

Have a great cruise.

My kids got spoiled too and want to order off the adult menu now but honestly I'm tired of paying for way overpriced pizza, nuggets and fries at restaurants so we let them order adult menu and split if it's something they can and if not we just suck it up since we don't eat much at restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're paying the same fare for them to cruise as they would charge an adult so I wouldn't see a problem at all.

Last time we cruised CCL my wife ordered a banana split but unfortunately the waiter had the deer in the headlights look and didn't know what she was talking about so she ordered something else.

Bill

You're paying the same fare for them to cruise as they would charge an adult so I wouldn't see a problem at all.

Last time we cruised CCL my wife ordered a banana split but unfortunately the waiter had the deer in the headlights look and didn't know what she was talking about so she ordered something else.

Bill

how weird waiter would not know what that was or perhaps didnt want to know

The children's menu (whether on paper or not) is there as a convenience. We frequently travel with many small children and have seen 2 year olds order off of the regular menu. Never been an issue in them doing it and certainly not an attempt to limit what they want. To suggest that is plain silly.

Slightly off topic but one of the great joys we had was dinner when we started cruising as a family when our kids were maybe 14 and 12. They absolutely loved the 'fine dining' aspect to the MDR and wanted to dress up just a little every night. They both had the soda card back then and my daughter took a liking to having pineapple juice at dinner. She thought it so special that the moment she sat down our server would bring it to her every night. They both enjoyed the wonderful variety on the adult menu each evening.

One night, we told our head waiter (with a nice cash tip) that my wife and I would be dining the next night in the steakhouse and that the kids would be coming to the MDR alone. And while they were certainly old enough to carry themselves appropriately in that venue by themselves, they had probably never been to 'fine dining' without an adult present before in their lives. We learned afterwards that they had been treated like kings and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I think it's easy to forget that kids that age can really appreciate being 'grown up' for awhile.

Slightly off topic but one of the great joys we had was dinner when we started cruising as a family when our kids were maybe 14 and 12. They absolutely loved the 'fine dining' aspect to the MDR and wanted to dress up just a little every night. They both had the soda card back then and my daughter took a liking to having pineapple juice at dinner. She thought it so special that the moment she sat down our server would bring it to her every night. They both enjoyed the wonderful variety on the adult menu each evening.

One night, we told our head waiter (with a nice cash tip) that my wife and I would be dining the next night in the steakhouse and that the kids would be coming to the MDR alone. And while they were certainly old enough to carry themselves appropriately in that venue by themselves, they had probably never been to 'fine dining' without an adult present before in their lives. We learned afterwards that they had been treated like kings and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I think it's easy to forget that kids that age can really appreciate being 'grown up' for awhile.

very nice post

My kids got spoiled too and want to order off the adult menu now but honestly I'm tired of paying for way overpriced pizza, nuggets and fries at restaurants so we let them order adult menu and split if it's something they can and if not we just suck it up since we don't eat much at restaurants.

This was way back in 2002. The boys are now 29 and 26, so they've been off the kids menu for quite some time. ;)