The perils of a late booking

PaulaJK

We booked a Regent cruise 2 months in advance. The tours we desired, as well as most tours, were sold out. There were no specialty restaurant dinner reservations -on any date- to be had. This could make for a less than advertised and rather unhappy cruise. We will waitlist ourselves upon boarding but do you have any

other suggestions?

Perhaps Regent should inform customer of same before payment as it is far from the published package offering.

We have been in that situation a few times. You can call Regent and ask to be waitlisted on the excursions that you want. As has been said on these boards before, you are likely to get the excursions that you want. If tickets do not come through while you are onboard, go to the theater about a half an hour (or earlier if possible) and get on their stand-by list for the excursion. Once everyone has checked in for the excursion, if there are no-shows, they start calling people from the list. The two times that we did this, we were able to get on the excursion.

In terms of dining reservations, Regent does hold some back for people that were not able to get reservations online. You should be able to get dining reservations in every specialty restaurant but it may not be the time that you wish and you may have to share a table.

I believe you're entitled to one reservation in each specialty restaurant, by yourselves if you so choose. Just go to the restaurant reservations representative onboard.

I've never read the "by yourselves" part but it is certainly possible that you are correct - especially if you are willing flexible with your dining times.

wripro - okay - this time I don't think that you are being fair. I would assume that if you book late on any luxury cruise line, it is possible that excursions could be full (although with "free" excursions the odds are a bit greater that they will be full).

Not sure how dining reservations are handled on Seabourn or Crystal but on Silversea, it used to be first come - first served once you are onboard the ship. Obviously the later you board the fewer openings they will be.

Paula, out of curiosity, what ship did you book?

Wripro,

I think that the question is fair. After all, your fare/ purchase is for a certain package that they are advertising. So to find all restaurant resv between 6:30 and 8:30 on every night unavailable does lead one to ask this question. Perhaps they should stop selling the cruise 3 months out?? Ha!

Paula, I wouldn't worry at all - just add your name to the waitlist for the tours you'd like to do and pay a visit to the Destinations desk when you board. In my experience, they will do what they can to accommodate any remaining wishes for you. As an earlier reply suggests, even if the waitlist hasn't cleared on the day of the tour, quite often openings occur as people change their minds at the last minute. The only time we've been disappointed is on a tour with a specific number of places available - say twelve seats in a vehicle - where it'd be impossible to include an extra one or two.

Same with the restaurants. By going to the front restaurant desk when you board with your preferred dates and times, you may well be able to resolve it all without further problem or any reference to the concept of "entitlement".

I find that a little patience and good humour reaps rewards. Regent staff are wonderfully responsive to their guests' wishes, given the opportunity.

Last year we did an Alaska, 11 day booking less than 2 months before sailing. All excursions said sold out.We called Regent and they were extremely helpful and put us on the waitlist for each excursion we wanted.

When we arrived in our stateroom....there were tickets for every one of the excursions we had booked waiting for us.

Do not wait until you are on the ship....everyone that waitlisted earlier will get the spots !

Agree with going ahead and waitlisting for the excursions you want now, not waiting till onboard. We have almost always gotten the excursions we wanted, and sometimes I even cheange my mind once onboard and book something different. Usually no problem.

As far as dining, just go to the restaurant and explain the situation. They will find you something. Lots of times, people cancel or no show.

Thank you for the idea to waitlist desired tours now. I will contact Regent. Hopefully once on board we will luck out with restaurant rest as we are quite flexible w dates, times.
b

Yes, I failed to make myself clear in my earlier reply. Put your name on all the wait lists now, for sure, but then follow through with a call to the destinations desk once on board. Sadly, I don't think you can wait list restaurant reservations!

Hope it all works out for you and you have a wonderful cruise.

Hi Paula, first a giant public thank you for suggesting this Voyager itinerary by far over the Silver Whisper one--it is a wonderful winner.

We also had to take a couple of choice excursions since we booked our first segment within 30 days--a little extra coin but worth it.

Have a solution for you for the restaurants will send u an email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And another experience to consider. We switched a cruise and booked late once, only to find that the pre-cruise experience we wanted was fully booked. We had our TA get us wait-listed. A few weeks later Regent added a new pre-cruise experience that suited us even better, and we were able to sign up for that and had a great time. Regent does occasionally change the excursions and pre- and post- offerings and your TA can keep on top of these things.

I've never read the "by yourselves" part but it is certainly possible that you are correct - especially if you are willing flexible with your dining times.

wripro - okay - this time I don't think that you are being fair. I would assume that if you book late on any luxury cruise line, it is possible that excursions could be full (although with "free" excursions the odds are a bit greater that they will be full).

Not sure how dining reservations are handled on Seabourn or Crystal but on Silversea, it used to be first come - first served once you are onboard the ship. Obviously the later you board the fewer openings they will be.

Paula, out of curiosity, what ship did you book?

Sorry, but from my perspective I am being fair. I don't like the whole idea of having to reserve anything months in advance. That's not luxury to me, it's a group tour mentality, You should be able to book restaurants on board and go whenever you want. You should be able to book excursions on board for whatever you want whenever you want. The fact that these excursions are included forces Regent to make you book way ahead. And those in more expensive cabins get to choose earlier. This is my opinion and others may disagree but I don't think I'n being unfair. Someone who books late is entitled to the same service and opportunities as those who book earlier. I don't see Regent offering a cheaper rate because nothing is available and you have to worry that it will open up.

The excursions can be booked before final payment. I think it depends on which kind of cabin you have booked like concierge and above and the frequent cruisers status level. Restruants can be booked from th day the final payment is due to be paid. If you lay cruise prior to that date you still wait until the date of payment due before booking restruants.

I am not aware of any discounts for early payment. Jean.

The excursions can be booked before final payment. I think it depends on which kind of cabin you have booked like concierge and above and the frequent cruisers status level. Restruants can be booked from th day the final payment is due to be paid. If you lay cruise prior to that date you still wait until the date of payment due before booking restruants.

I am not aware of any discounts for early payment. Jean.

A slight correction to the above post. Dining reservations are not tied to final payment. As with excursions, when you can book is dependent upon your Seven Seas Society level or the suite category you are in..

Sorry, but from my perspective I am being fair. I don't like the whole idea of having to reserve anything months in advance. That's not luxury to me, it's a group tour mentality, You should be able to book restaurants on board and go whenever you want. You should be able to book excursions on board for whatever you want whenever you want. The fact that these excursions are included forces Regent to make you book way ahead. And those in more expensive cabins get to choose earlier. This is my opinion and others may disagree but I don't think I'n being unfair. Someone who books late is entitled to the same service and opportunities as those who book earlier. I don't see Regent offering a cheaper rate because nothing is available and you have to worry that it will open up.

Shortly put, Regent may not be the cruise line for you. Different strokes, etc.

Of course, you could also buy your own boat, I suppose. Problem solved. Front of the line every time. : )

Shortly put, Regent may not be the cruise line for you. Different strokes, etc.

Of course, you could also buy your own boat, I suppose. Problem solved. Front of the line every time. : )

Until Regent does away with included excursions it is certainly not the line for me. But I don't need to buy my own boat. I can very happily sail on Seabourn where I don't have to decide anything in advance with the exception of the Thomas Keller Grill which was his stipulation, not Seabourn's.

Until Regent does away with included excursions it is certainly not the line for me. But I don't need to buy my own boat. I can very happily sail on Seabourn where I don't have to decide anything in advance with the exception of the Thomas Keller Grill which was his stipulation, not Seabourn's.

I am happy that you have found a cruise line that meets your needs. That's what it's all about.

Not sure why you felt compelled to post to a Regent message board to complain when you have already found a better fit for you, but hey, that's certainly your prerogative. Happy sailing!

A little follow-up----

We are now waitlisted for 2 tours, one of which has 74 passengers waitlisted ahead of us! We were advised that the only chance re: dining would be via

cancellations.

Regent is not an inexpensive line. It strongly advertises its included excursions

and dining options. This is the package that they sell and frankly, there appears to be room for improving the delivery.

A little follow-up----

We are now waitlisted for 2 tours, one of which has 74 passengers waitlisted ahead of us! We were advised that the only chance re: dining would be via

cancellations.

Regent is not an inexpensive line. It strongly advertises its included excursions

and dining options. This is the package that they sell and frankly, there appears to be room for improving the delivery.

While I understand where you are coming from, there are restrictions on "some" excursions due space, transportation, etc. I also understand that some people feel that "free" excursions means that there is unlimited availability on all excursions which is clearly not the case. This is one of many reasons why some of us do not like included excursions (and some people have left Regent because of this). Instead of fixing their advertising, I would be very happy if they did away with the included excursions.

Is the tour that 74 people are waitlisted for a "Regent Choice" excursion that has to do with the Culinary Kitchen Chef going with passengers to a restaurant or other type of food excursion? If so, this is truly very limited to under 20 people (by necessity - not by choice).

Whoever told you that the only way you would get a dining reservation is if someone cancelled is 100% incorrect. While not in writing, Regent does everything it can to insure that every single passenger can dine in a specialty restaurant one time. It is unfortunate that some Customer Service Reps. in Miami are so clueless.

It is definitely upsetting to hear that Customer Service, once again, is giving out false information!:mad:

The tour w. The '74' is a catamaran sail.

We have never been pro included tours but obviously many others are. However, if they are 'included' there must be reasonable availability. JMO

Will post after the cruise.......

C couldn't agree more. They are certainly not charging less because the included tours are not available.