Book online...or with a "Cruise Consultant"?

MtnClimber1101

I'm nearly ready to book a cruise. I've been doing the research online, and feel like I could easily book that way. But I've also been in contact with a HAL "Cruise Consultant", who advised me to book through her rather than online. Is one way better than the other? A concern that I have is since my cruise isn't until 2018, I want to take advantage of any offers that may happen in the future. The consultant said she would be able to update my booking to include any future offers. Will I have the same opportunity if I book online, or will any future offers be lost?

It won't make a difference one way or the other. I've got a 2018 cruise booked through my PCC and I've already received on price reduction (less than two weeks after initial booking).

The big advantage to using a PCC is the personal care. You will always speak to the same person which can be helpful.

That said: I would be looking around for a TA to transfer the booking to in the future. My TA who can't be named due to CC rules, gives me a 10% discount when I transfer to her.

I'm nearly ready to book a cruise. I've been doing the research online, and feel like I could easily book that way. But I've also been in contact with a HAL "Cruise Consultant", who advised me to book through her rather than online. Is one way better than the other? A concern that I have is since my cruise isn't until 2018, I want to take advantage of any offers that may happen in the future. The consultant said she would be able to update my booking to include any future offers. Will I have the same opportunity if I book online, or will any future offers be lost?

If you are referring to booking online as through Holland America (HAL), I would recommend using a HAL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC). While they both will get you the same deals and prices, having one person to deal with is alot easier and quicker IMO. My PCC has been VERY good to deal with and several times has gotten me things that I seriously doubt that the random phone contact from HAL could/would do. Using an assigned PCC also means that they are more likely to keep you abreast of price changes, deals, etc.

If I see a deal from HAL on their website or here on Cruise Critic, a simple call or email to my PCC usually gets it added/changed to my booking immediately. Having said that, I must point out that in most cases you have to select your original deal or the new one being offered, you cannot combine them (some are combinable, but that is an exception).

HAL PCC's will be the same person you deal with from booking to sailing, can handle changes and issues immediately and will know about offers sooner while booking with an online TA, you tend not to deal with the same person and you have to contact them who will then contact HAL when questions or issues arise.

But....we have a warehouse club TA that we usually deal with that usually finds us better rates and perks/OBC's.

If the choice is to book online using the website or with a Personal Cruise Consultant, my choice is to use the PCC. When I booked my most recent cruise, the PCC was able to quote me a price substantially lower than what I was seeing online. She knew the special offers and my cruise history and knew how to apply those to my booking. In addition, if I need any changes, all I have to do is email.

She was especially helpful when I had to cancel my January cruise. I sent an email, she called and within three days, I had my refund. It couldn't have been easier.