Newbie question about what to do with my valuables during West Caribb excursions...

SweetieinVT

We have booked several excursions through Celebrity (Green Grotto and Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, and swimming with Dolphins in Grand Cayman included). I am wondering about what we would do with the limited valuables we would bring on such excursions (a little cash, passport, cell phone) while we are in the water. Are there lockers or somewhere safe to keep our things while we are climbing Dunn's River Falls? What about for the swimming with dolphins excursions on Grand Cayman? I'd rather not carry these in the water if not necessary, but obviously can't leave them laying around either.... Do you even carry your passports on excursions? TIA.

Since you are on an excursion through the ship you won't have to worry about taking a passport but if you are on your own or taking a private tour take a photo copy of your passport. You can find inexpensive waterproof pouches online for your cash. Leave your phone behind since you are on the ships tour. Remove all jewelry and lock it in the safe in your room. I have a Swatch watch which is waterproof that I wear.

Enjoy!

I myself only bring my drivers license when leaving the ship in the Caribbean. Other cruises Celebrity had kept our passports and gave us a copy to leave the ship with. Do leaving your jewelry on the ship. We did lose a ring once while swimming with the stingrays. No one wants to lose a ring, but it was insured for full value. I learned long ago to insured jewelry.

I myself only bring my drivers license when leaving the ship in the Caribbean. Other cruises Celebrity had kept our passports and gave us a copy to leave the ship with. Do leaving your jewelry on the ship. We did lose a ring once while swimming with the stingrays. No one wants to lose a ring, but it was insured for full value. I learned long ago to insured jewelry.

Oh yeah, jewelry stays in the safe. I was more concerned about the passport, but if I don't need to carry it, I'll take my driver's license and a photocopy of the passport. That can go in a waterproof bag, as can a little cash.

If I'm in a place where I would need my passport to get on a plane to fly home, then I will always have my passport with me and a credit card capable of purchasing a plane ticket. I know there are anecdotal stories of people missing the ship and security goes to their cabin and locates their passports and leaves them with the port agent. But this is not a written practice, if it were the cruise line would instruct all passengers to make sure their passports are in the safe and not someplace else in the cabin. I don't want to count on the actions of others to insure that I can get home in an emergency.

A lot of excursions (though I can't comment on the specific ones listed) will also give you the option of leaving your bag on the bus with the driver.

We don't wear jewelry, limit ourselves to a few credit cards, spending cash for the day, photo ids (US Passport Card and Enhanced Driver's License are great for this), a <$100 waterproof digital camera, and maybe 1 cell phone. We leave our passport books in the cabin safe so they'd be easy to find, keep a paper copy with us, and make sure we have the info to be able to reach the ship's port agent in the event of an emergency.

We are just off silhouette and they were encouraging people to bring their driver's licenses rather than a passport as their photo ID in Jamaica. This is a matter of personal preference (and risk tolerance) but I'd rather know where my passport is and have to try to figure out how to have someone retrieve it versus risk it being damaged or stolen. We also carry credit card sized proof of citizenship as a middle ground.

I take a photo of our passports and of the port agent information from the daily, my cell (with the photos!), a credit card, some cash, my key card to get back on ship and a waterproof pouch. That's everything you need in case you want to take photos, do some last minute shopping, eating or get left behind.

When I traveled to Costa Rica - I saw something on the government web site that you should leave your passport in your hotel save and only go on excursions with a copy. We were stopped on the road in Costa Rica by the federales and they accepted the photo copies.

This is from the state department]

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/CruiseShipPassengers.html

Don't bring your phone or passport...you don't need either. (This must be something new in Costa Rica...we traveled there with BC and DL only!)

Your ship's key, a credit card, and yes, even cash, can get wet....put them in a velcro pocket!

If I'm in a place where I would need my passport to get on a plane to fly home, then I will always have my passport with me and a credit card capable of purchasing a plane ticket. I know there are anecdotal stories of people missing the ship and security goes to their cabin and locates their passports and leaves them with the port agent. But this is not a written practice, if it were the cruise line would instruct all passengers to make sure their passports are in the safe and not someplace else in the cabin. I don't want to count on the actions of others to insure that I can get home in an emergency.

Rather than risk having your passport stolen or lost, you only need to have a photocopy. Then you can contact the US embassy to arrange for a flight. The ship will also overnight any documents to you if necessary.

I also make sure someone at home (usually my son) also has a copy of my passport, itinerary, and lists of medications, and emergency contacts.

Yep, we have a waterproof case that I take. Can hang it around my neck when snorkeling. We don't take phones unless we rent a car. And yes, only a copy of your passport is needed and truthfully we rarely ever take that. It's in my snorkel bag and if I don't take that then I don't take a copy (I know, I should).

enjoy,

Duane

We never take our passport off the ship.

We never take our drivers license or Nexus card off the ship.

We never take our credit cards off the ship.

We take our phones, a camera, cash and sunscreen/lip balm/hand cream etc.

Our last cruise on the Reflection, 3 weeks ago, we did one Celebrity excursion, on Grand Cayman. As we were sitting in the theatre waiting to set off they kept rabbiting on about photo ID...we went and asked them if we actually NEED photo ID and they said "no"

We never take our passport off the ship.

We never take our drivers license or Nexus card off the ship.

We never take our credit cards off the ship.

We take our phones, a camera, cash and sunscreen/lip balm/hand cream etc.

Our last cruise on the Reflection, 3 weeks ago, we did one Celebrity excursion, on Grand Cayman. As we were sitting in the theatre waiting to set off they kept rabbiting on about photo ID...we went and asked them if we actually NEED photo ID and they said "no"

There are ports that require you to have your passport to leave and get back on the ship. There are also ports which require photo ID to re-enter the secured area and re-board the ship.