DragonOfTheSeas goes LIVE to Mardi Gras on the Equinox 2.20.17

DragonOfTheSeas

Happy all made it back to the ship safely if shaken and stirred!:eek: Nice gesture by the line to those involved.

Glad you are all safe on the ship now and not in NOLA yet. Bad accident there tonight injuring many who were out watching the parade. Prayers going out to all involved there. Sure hope you have an easier visit.;)

Happy all made it back to the ship safely if shaken and stirred!:eek: Nice gesture by the line to those involved.

Glad you are all safe on the ship now and not in NOLA yet. Bad accident there tonight injuring many who were out watching the parade. Prayers going out to all involved there. Sure hope you have an easier visit.;)

Just saw this on the news. They are stating that it is not a terrorist attack, but a drunk driver running over 21 people. :(

Just saw this on the news. They are stating that it is not a terrorist attack, but a drunk driver running over 21 people. :(

Yes, DD saw that too and texted me. I told her we would be careful.

Sorry about the text that was run together on the last post. I tried to correct it bout lost internet connection.

Today we arrive in New Orleans and we will have to go through customs before going ashore. [Our assistant waiter said the crew did not have to go through customs.] We received a letter stating we are in group 7 and our time to report to the gangway is 6:15pm. At dinner one of the couples had a 6:35 pm time and another had 7:15 pm.So, we do not know how long the process will take. It will probably take a long time. They left a voice mail last night that the cocktail hour was extended to 8 pm. [a sure sign some passengers will still be onboard until 8pm.]

If we want to go ashore after weclear CBP we can leave directly from the terminal. If we get back on the ship we have to wait for EVERYONE to clear customs before we can leave again. So, we plan to be ready to head out from customs. The only disadvantage of that is we will be carrying passports all night and we have been warned about pickpockets.

There is a parade [bacchus] thatbegins at 5:15 pm. Our dock at Julia Street is very near the end of the parade route. [Tchoupitoulas St] We are hoping to catch the end of the parade before heading to the French Quarter.

I got up early enough to catch thesunrise this morning. I guess I am tooexcited to sleep. I am looking forwardto the trip up the Mississippi River. During our B2B cruises in 2015 from New Orleans most of the trip goingand coming was in the dark.

P2260007_zpsylbywfto.jpg

The Cruise Critic roll call was veryactive over the more than 2 years we all had reserved this cruise. We came up with our own name [Mardi GrasKrewers] and a time for our own parade [today at 1pm]. Masks, boas, costumes, kazoos and blinkingnecklaces and pins will be the norm. The shipphotographer will be there. Weoriginally wanted to be parading around the top deck as we came up the riverand docked. But, the CBP check messedthat up. LOL

I plan to work on loading pictures again today,

edit: Hooray I got a picture. :)

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

We do not arrive until this evening. I am sure it will work out well. The ship dock is located well.

Dragon -- have they told you exactly where/when you're docking? Back when we were still booked on this cruise, I heard everything from:

-- Docking permanently at the new (unfinished) Poland Ave. cruise terminal (according to X's published itinerary);

-- Docking temporarily at Poland Ave, only to clear customs -- then moving to the Julia St. terminal;

-- Waiting until the Julia St. terminal was vacant, and docking there directly.

Needless to say, it was very confusing. And, it's not like Heritage Wharf and Kings' Wharf in Bermuda -- which are just steps from each other. Just the thought of having to figure out how to get to the festivities from the unfinished Poland Ave pier created some angst, on the roll call! :eek:

Hope that you guys have a great time in NOLA! :cool:

The only disadvantage of that is we will be carrying passports all night and we have been warned about pickpockets.

There is a parade [bacchus] thatbegins at 5:15 pm. Our dock at Julia Street is very near the end of the parade route. [Tchoupitoulas St] We are hoping to catch the end of the parade before heading to the French Quarter.

I really like the Passport Card for reentry into the US as I can carry it around with me but leave my passport in a more secure spot. I've ended up carrying it instead of my drivers license when off the ship in the Caribbean (especially if ID is needed to gain return access to a port) - if the card gets lost, I don't have the hassle of getting a new drivers license or passport.

I have found that on cruises out of FLL where I want to debark with the new Mobile Passport, I have to board with my passport not my passport card - as that is the number that gets into the system. If Mobile Passport isn't offered, I can use either the card or the passport to reenter as the guys/gals just look at your picture ID.

One caveat, you can't use the card for identification for flying in the US but its easy to carry and cheap to purchase if renewing at the same time as your passport.

Judy

Dragon -- have they told you exactly where/when you're docking? Back when we were still booked on this cruise, I heard everything from:

-- Docking permanently at the new (unfinished) Poland Ave. cruise terminal (according to X's published itinerary);

-- Docking temporarily at Poland Ave, only to clear customs -- then moving to the Julia St. terminal;

Needless to say, it was very confusing. And, it's not like Heritage Wharf and Kings' Wharf in Bermuda -- which are just steps from each other. Just the thought of having to figure out how to get to the festivities from the unfinished Poland Ave pier created some angst, on the roll call! :eek:

Hope that you guys have a great time in NOLA! :cool:

I heard those rumors online, too.

We will dock at Julia street sometime after 4:30 pm. there will be another ship there until then. I think the CBP process is set to begin at 5:30 ish.

Thecraziness begins!

The parade started at 1pm from the Gastropub. There were lots of elaborate costumes. An organizer had made a banner and we wound our way through the ship. We went around decks 4 and 5 and then climbed to the pool decks on 12 and 14. There was lots of kazoo playing blinking lights. Several men along the way showed us their chest—but, they did not get any beads.

P2260010_zpspnjlev1z.jpg

P2260012_zpsnfw2knkc.jpg

P2260008_zpsctx80agr.jpg

P2260011_zpsbzni5qzs.jpg

P2260013_zpspdbafehg.jpg

I really like the Passport Card for reentry into the US as I can carry it around with me but leave my passport in a more secure spot. I've ended up carrying it instead of my drivers license when off the ship in the Caribbean (especially if ID is needed to gain return access to a port) - if the card gets lost, I don't have the hassle of getting a new drivers license or passport.

I have found that on cruises out of FLL where I want to debark with the new Mobile Passport, I have to board with my passport not my passport card - as that is the number that gets into the system. If Mobile Passport isn't offered, I can use either the card or the passport to reenter as the guys/gals just look at your picture ID.

One caveat, you can't use the card for identification for flying in the US but its easy to carry and cheap to purchase if renewing at the same time as your passport.

Judy

I have read about the mobile passport and I am going to load it to my phone for our next cruise--or give it a try. I will ask my

DGS to help me. ;)

I got this question earlier:

DZalumni—How is the ship oriented in NOLA? Does it turn during the night so it does nothave to back out in the dark?

Although the Captain can make a decision to dock anyway that works for him, we are starboard to the dock. The port side has a view of the far side of the river and the bridge to Algiers.

Edit: The Captain just announced we are going to be in the current position for a little while. [10 ft from pier] There is a Carnival ship at the dock, too, and he said it must move for us to put our gangway down. Arg! I guess there is no parade in my future tonight. it would have been a close thing anyway.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

It is now 6:30 Central Time and we should have been in Immigration at 6:15 p.m. But there was a medical emergency so they are behind and only on number 2. We are number seven. Don't plan anything for your first night you'll just have to roll with the punches. We are glad we are not number 14 like our tablemates.

You're have to be off the ship by now. We got the first group bit even with that today's parade was already over. Having dinner at Redfish Grill. Did not get the info for the connections party but met Connie so I know you had another CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're have to be off the ship by now. We got the first group bit even with that today's parade was already over. Having dinner at Redfish Grill. Did not get the info for the connections party but met Connie so I know you had another CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We finally got off the ship at 8:20pm--and we were group 7. Our tablemates were group 14. I doubt we will see them for a couple of days, but I will be interested to see when they got off.

I did not get too many pictures tonight. I was too busy catching beads at the parade and staying out of the way in the French Quarter. [i promise to do better ;p

We watched the parade on Tchoupitoulas Street. It is only a few blocks from the end of the route and they were very generous in what they threw out. I will take a picture of our "haul" tomorrow.

The are we were in was very family friendly. Here are a couple of crowd pics.

Getting%20ready%20for%20the%20parade_zpszb9isjpz.jpg

The float had just put confetti in the air. Note everyone with their hands up.

Orpheus%20parade_zpsfjjfpnmk.jpg

We only stayed for 1/2 of the parade and made our way to the Quarter.

As we entered Bourbon street you could see the trash lining the street. it was less family friendly her. :eek:

begining%20of%20Bourbon%20street_zpslatpr9n1.jpg

Once you get into the street it was crowded.

20170226_212242_zpsmedhi0ho.jpg

My laptop needs charging --so I will post some more tomorrow.

As a 2018 cruise candidate lurker, I am curious how this all plays out.

It looks like MarineTraffic.com is flaky tonight and cannot even find the Equinox at the moment :eek: Tracking earlier was spotty. Tracks for the Carnival Dream and NCL Dawn are spotty also.

Looking at VesselFinder.com, it appears that:

Carnival Dream left Erato pier approx 5:21 PM local time (a bit later than their 4:00 target)

NCL Dawn left Julia pier approx 4:01 PM local time (on time)

Equinox arrived "near" Julia pier approx 4:41 PM local time, (waiting for Dream to leave?), then did final positioning approx 5:26 PM local time.

So it appears that Equinox did not stop at Poland Pier or customs purposes at all?

The Equinox entered the river delta approx 7:35 AM, so it took about 9 hours to get in. The Dawn exited the river delta approx 11 PM Sunday, so it took about 7 hours to get out. That implies that the Equinox may have slowed her inbound pace to avoid arriving early and having to pause at Poland? or going upriver is naturally slower? Just my guessing...

Carnival Triumph is currently inbound for her turnaround day Monday at Erato pier.