DragonOfTheSeas goes LIVE to Mardi Gras on the Equinox 2.20.17

DragonOfTheSeas

At captains club event tonight sat next to woman who did the $249 grandstand. She wasn't very happy. Buses left ship at 5:30 so she waited almost two hours in grandstand before parade reached her. Then had to be back on bus for return at 9:30 causing her to miss last 90 minutes of parade. Had great view though.

Dragon - So sorry 709 disappointed. Everyone had really looked forward to it.

We sat with a couple in the lounge last that did the grandstand with the cruise on Tuesday. That left the ship around 8 am and stayed until 12:45. The first parade had not finished by that time. They liked the seats. They were at Jefferson Square and the buses getting there and back were good. But they did nt feel it was worth the money.

For what they charged they should have had a second pick up time after the second parade. JMHO

Thanks for all of the good information. Please add more. :)

One couple walked all the way to the Aquarium and found it closed.

Bless their hearts!

Didn't the Equinox dock at the Julia Street Cruise Terminal? If so, the walk from there to the Aquarium is 10 minutes (0.5 mile). :o:o:o

I am enjoying your reporting... sounds like it is a great cruise and this thread is full of good pointers!

Bless their hearts!

Didn't the Equinox dock at the Julia Street Cruise Terminal? If so, the walk from there to the Aquarium is 10 minutes (0.5 mile). :o:o:o

I am enjoying your reporting... sounds like it is a great cruise and this thread is full of good pointers!

That is true, but, the walk through the gangway and through the terminal is a good distance. . . . and I think walking was not that easy for them.

I have read that Royal Caribbean has much better entertainment than Celebrity. I am not sure that on this cruise that is the case. [may not always be true]

We did not go to the production shows so I cannot compare those. However, I feel the headliners were just as good and I feel there is more [or as much] live music around the ship.

I can't remember them all but here is a sample:

Robbie Printz, comedian: I thought he was the best. He was very funny and was family friendly.

Jordan Bennet, singer: He had been on Broadway and did a routine of show tunes and other similar music with a little comedy thrown in. He was pretty good. I am not usually a show tunes kind of person. :)

Life, production show: Our dinner table mates liked this one

Topper, production show: We heard this one was not as good

Rondell Sheridan, comedian: Good

There was a live music dance/party each night at 10:30 mainly in the Sky lounge. [a couple of times on the pool deck] This went on until ~ midnight and then there was disco in one of the lounges [sky lounge or Quasar] If you wanted late night entertainment it was there. . . . I had usually had enough fun by midnight or so. I cannot tell you when it ended.

How did you see Rondell before he does his show tonight?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Hereare a couple of pics of the Celebrity singers/dancers getting the sail-awayparty started. This dance floor is awater feature in the evening when the pools are closed [jets shoot out of thelights] and a dance floor the rest of the time.

P2280003_zps9q4rptfa.jpg

P2280004_zps2emnxslf.jpg

Here is John, the Cruise Director, singing at the party.

P2280006_zpskbt7kk5p.jpg

Dragon...thanx for taking us all along on your wonderful, magical mystery tour!;) You'll certainly be well prepared for the next Bead Brigade function.:D

One of our dinner partners said he had 80 lbs of beads to take home. I am not that bad--but, I have plenty!

We are back. . . but, not quite where we started from. :eek:

A tanker overturned and created an oil spill. they asked the Equinox to move from terminal 18 [where we left from] to terminal 25. The port will provide shuttles to the old terminal so passengers can get to their cars. They have said there is no damage to the other terminal or the cars. However, a clean up operation is under way.

We are taking a taxi to the airport to get a rental car. We should have no problem with that. I image the disembarkation process may be slower.

We have a late flight and bought tickets to an exhibition baseball game at the new stadium of the Palm Beach for this afternoon. [National vs St Louis Cardinals] We have our fingers crossed it does not rain.

I have read that Royal Caribbean has much better entertainment than Celebrity. I am not sure that on this cruise that is the case. [may not always be true]

I agree with you. My last Celebrity cruise was on Eclipse and the CD was Richard Spacey, a former RCI CD. The entertainment on board was great, and a step up from Celebrity's past.

Mobile Passport is not working at Pier 25.

Sent from my R1 HD using Forums mobile app

That's very disappointing. I know a number of people were counting on that to speed the Customs border patrol process. IN fact they may not even have completed the paper copy of the form that you need to turn in for Customs. That would have made the process longer than shorter

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I agree with you. My last Celebrity cruise was on Eclipse and the CD was Richard Spacey, a former RCI CD. The entertainment on board was great, and a step up from Celebrity's past.

We sailed on the Explorer Of The Seas when Richard Stacy was the cruise director. He is the best cruise director we have ever had. I'm sure you had a great time with him

Thanks for all of the great information!!! I feel like I'm ready for next year. :) One last question...Did you eat any dinners in any of the fine restaurants in New Orleans or did you go back to the ship for all of your meals? Just wondering how far in advance the better restaurants took dinner reservations. I know that most of the restaurants are closed on Fat Tuesday, so we're planning on dinner somewhere Monday evening. Leaving Sunday evening up in the air based on your feedback about disembarkation and the amount of time it took to clear immigration.

Again, thanks for all of your posts. Sounds like everyone had a blast!

Michele

Dragon, I really, really enjoyed your review of the Mardi Gras and the pictures to go along with it. It seems like time just went by so fast for your cruise. It was educational as well as informative. I even when on your photo bucket and saw pictures from your Alaskan cruise and I enjoyed those as well.

Dragon, this has been one of the best Live threads I have seen due to your port-by-port narrative, valuable information, and wonderful pictures and also the contributions from others. Thanks for taking the time from your busy cruise to share your experiences with us. We had canceled the cruise, but part of me felt like I was there because of your effort. Great job!

Kathy

Thanks for all of the great information!!! I feel like I'm ready for next year. :) One last question...Did you eat any dinners in any of the fine restaurants in New Orleans or did you go back to the ship for all of your meals? Just wondering how far in advance the better restaurants took dinner reservations. I know that most of the restaurants are closed on Fat Tuesday, so we're planning on dinner somewhere Monday evening. Leaving Sunday evening up in the air based on your feedback about disembarkation and the amount of time it took to clear immigration.

Again, thanks for all of your posts. Sounds like everyone had a blast!

Michele

We ended up eating all of our meals on the ship. We had intended to eat at the 709 restaurant on Monday night. But I'm sure you read on my log. That was a bit of a disaster. So when I got back to the ship that night I had a late night snack. We didn't realize all the restaurants will be closed on Tuesday and tried to go out to dinner on Tuesday and of course there was no place open. So we ended up up back on the ship:D