Room Service Tips

flasaltwater63

Our cruising friend introduced us to a novelty - - we have a stack of $2.00 bills that we use for tipping when travelling.

This has been discussed many times on CC. Many crew don't want them because retailers are not sure they are real and won't take them. I went back to $1's.

Does anyone ever tip the person that brings roomservice? even though I know tips are prepaid but I always feel bad if I don't tip room service because I was to lazy to go up the the buffet to get my coffee[emoji39] do you tip room service? How much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

$5....my wife has breakfast in the room everyday. After the first day, breakfast always arrives on time, and if she requests items not on the menu, or extra cream for her coffee, it's all delivered.

We do always tip for room service - anywhere ranging from $2 for coffee/juice in the morning, up to $5 if the kids are ordering food items. I do bump the amount up a bit for a particularly friendly room attendant who gives particularly good service, just as I do in a land restaurant. To me the "recommended amount" is a guideline based on the reasonably quick, efficient, pleasant service that a customer should expect. On many occasions I have given more than the recommended about if the service exceeds my expectations. On a couple of other occasions I have tipped less than the "recommended amount" because the waiter was really rude about something. But I have only ever encountered great service on each of the cruises we have been on - their salaries are so dependent on tips and I do often go up in the tip amount for a job well done.

I never tip for room service. The only tips I give throughout the week are my pre-paid gratuities. I feel that is suficient.

Obviously, you don't ever order room service in a hotel or your thinking might be a bit different. In hotels, and I know this is a cruise, not a hotel, there is an added charge for room service. Just because there is no additional charge for this service, you are still being provided with a service that normally includes a tip.

I

Life is to short to worry about such trivial things. If a waitress, waiter, server, bar tender expects to get a tip maybe they should choose a different profession.

And by the way room service does get paid a wage plus room and board. You should know your facts before you just randomly blurt out untruths.

Waitresses, waiters etc. do expect tips as that is part of their pay. When they are hired, they are told they would be guaranteed an amount, with the balance being paid by tips. They choose to do this work as in some cases, they have no other way to make a living. That's not for you to decide if they should do this type of work or not. You need to get your fact straight before YOU randomly blurt out untruths. Based on what you have said, no one should be tipped because they get a salary and room/board. Wow, just wow!

$5....my wife has breakfast in the room everyday. After the first day, breakfast always arrives on time, and if she requests items not on the menu, or extra cream for her coffee, it's all delivered.

An interesting post! If she is successful in ordering items not on the menu, does this include items such as eggs, bacon, etc?

Obviously, you don't ever order room service in a hotel or your thinking might be a bit different. In hotels, and I know this is a cruise, not a hotel, there is an added charge for room service. Just because there is no additional charge for this service, you are still being provided with a service that normally includes a tip.

Waitresses, waiters etc. do expect tips as that is part of their pay. When they are hired, they are told they would be guaranteed an amount, with the balance being paid by tips. They choose to do this work as in some cases, they have no other way to make a living. That's not for you to decide if they should do this type of work or not. You need to get your fact straight before YOU randomly blurt out untruths. Based on what you have said, no one should be tipped because they get a salary and room/board. Wow, just wow!

First off I never said i decided what they choose to do i said it was there choice, and most people in a service position do very well because they are very good at what they do and earn great tips.

If you would have read this entire thread you would understand what i was saying. But seeing as you got lazy and just chose to read this response you dont know all the facts of what i said. Go back and read ALL the post and you will see where someone stated that room service doesnt get a wage, Which is false. They do get a wage and room and board. I was just correcting the poster.

If you had read ALL the post you would have seen that i DO indeed tip, but disagree with telling ANYONE else that it is expected of them and if you read ALL the post you will see that there are people that agree. Gratuities are given for good service, why should someone feel obligated to do what is "expected" of them if the service is lousy.

Furthermore why is it so important to tell someone what they should or should not do? We should worry more about our own actions and quit trying to ridicule the rest of the world.

Edited by gfsmith

Wow I am sad at how mean some posters have gotten. :(

We brought $100 in $1's when we went on our cruise. We had 2 rooms and always tipped RS well when they came. We asked for one pot of coffee at my Mom's room at 6am and one for hubby and I at 8am. They were always there on time with a smile. :) Never tipped less than $2 for each visit. My kids ordered cookies and milk every night and we tipped $5. We also gave our attendant (for both rooms) $20 at the beginning of the cruise and another $20 at end even though we pre-paid tips. He was awesome and always made sure we were well taken care of. I know we didn't need to, but he really was great and I feel that he went above and beyond for us and it deserved to be acknowledged.

Wow I am sad at how mean some posters have gotten. :(

We brought $100 in $1's when we went on our cruise. We had 2 rooms and always tipped RS well when they came. We asked for one pot of coffee at my Mom's room at 6am and one for hubby and I at 8am. They were always there on time with a smile. :) Never tipped less than $2 for each visit. My kids ordered cookies and milk every night and we tipped $5. We also gave our attendant (for both rooms) $20 at the beginning of the cruise and another $20 at end even though we pre-paid tips. He was awesome and always made sure we were well taken care of. I know we didn't need to, but he really was great and I feel that he went above and beyond for us and it deserved to be acknowledged.

I appreciate how generous you are.

We do give the same tip you do, except giving a tip to our steward at the beginning of the cruise.

When you receive a personal service from certain professions, a gratuity is expected upon completion of said service. Room service delivery is such a service.

You are incorrect! No gratuity is ever expected no matter the profession. I would love to hear what profession you believe EXPECTS a gratuity. I believe you need to look up the definition of gratuity.

Before each cruise I carefully calculate what possible services I'll need - like room service, porter for luggage, pusher for DH's wheelchair boarding assistance, and any extra tips above the auto-grats I might want to give and in what denominations I'll need the extra cash.

Then I go to the bank and withdraw the anticipated stack of $1s, $5's, $10s, and $20s. What I don't use on the ship I use at home until it runs out :D

I appreciate how generous you are.

We do give the same tip you do, except giving a tip to our steward at the beginning of the cruise.

Aww thank you. But the credit goes to my Mom. She raised me to always thank the workers. We tip maids at hotels too. I always acknowledge and thank janitors, maids, cooks etc. :D

Before each cruise I carefully calculate what possible services I'll need - like room service, porter for luggage, pusher for DH's wheelchair boarding assistance, and any extra tips above the auto-grats I might want to give and in what denominations I'll need the extra cash.

Then I go to the bank and withdraw the anticipated stack of $1s, $5's, $10s, and $20s. What I don't use on the ship I use at home until it runs out :D

That is exactly what I do!