Am I Right Most Clorox Wipes Don't Contain Bleach % Don't Kill Norovirus?

mnocket

I have the wipes that DLM uses. I also take several in a baggie, along with latex gloves. The stateroom doesn't really smell of Clorox, but your hands will for a long time.

On Oceania Cruises, they put yellow caution tape across the doors. That way, if a passenger tried to escape :D the broken tape will alert someone working nearby. When we were on a Noro cruise, they would check all passengers cards to make sure they were not flagged in the system. We witnessed an escapee getting chastised for being out when she was suppose to be in quarantine. I think they now take your cards when locking you up. :rolleyes:

That's a great idea to take your SeaPass card. Someone posted that all passengers in a cabin are stuck there. Not sure that always happens or the policy changes/is flexible. We had traveling friends where the husband was quarantined for 24-48 hours, but she was not. She had no symptoms and never got anything.

That's a great idea to take your SeaPass card. Someone posted that all passengers in a cabin are stuck there. Not sure that always happens or the policy changes/is flexible. We had traveling friends where the husband was quarantined for 24-48 hours, but she was not. She had no symptoms and never got anything.

That dual quarantine happened to Hubby and me. The hard ball tactics may have been because there was a major outbreak on the ship. We also had staff come into our room and spray a noxious smelling chemical all around.

Other crew members such as our steward were not allowed to enter. They brought fresh towels to our door. A tray of food was brought to our door. The mini-bar was free but I couldn't even think about taking advantage of that. No, we were not in a suite. The captain made frequent announcements to guests about the situation and how best to avoid catching Noro. Several doors on our corridor had the big yellow taped "X" that completely covers the door.

When DH got noro on Constellation he was confined to the cabin (not that he felt like going anywhere or doing anything bar lie in bed) . I wasn't confined but spent most of my time on the balcony. I did get off in the next port and bought a bottle of bleach to wipe every solid surface in the cabin. I never took ill thank goodness. We'd both washed our hands frequently but it hadn't helped him avoid it

Considering all the places your hands touch on a ship, wiping down your stateroom is a tiny percentage of places you can contact the virus. The buffet, the MDR, the pool area, theatre, shops, elevators, railings etc. If you want to avoid it, wear latex gloves and carry a good supply to replace them anytime you want to do anything near your face. We actually saw a couple women wearing them whenever we spotted them onboard.

OR just wash your hands like you are cursed with OCD and until then, don't put your hands near your face..

And of course all this discussion doesn't take into consideration that you could pick it up while at a port of call. Or precruise on your flight or hotel stay before boarding. So....in my mind, soap and hot water is my friend.

I agree. sodium hypochlorite = bleach. However the only clorox wipes I found that actually contain bleach come in a "pop-up" plastic tub. The ones in travel resealable pouches don't contain bleach and I think are useless for norovirus.

We use a similar product with all of the active agents in Clorox wipes in EMS (inside the truck). Yes the list of products to chose from is long, and not all wipes are safe to use with out gloves. I personally would have used the product, and have used it. As many posters have pointed out. Do your best due diligence, and enjoy your time away.

Check the link for a short list of common Virus, and Bacteria it kills.

https://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/clorox-disinfecting-wipes/efficacy-claims/

That dual quarantine happened to Hubby and me. The hard ball tactics may have been because there was a major outbreak on the ship. We also had staff come into our room and spray a noxious smelling chemical all around.

Other crew members such as our steward were not allowed to enter. They brought fresh towels to our door. A tray of food was brought to our door. The mini-bar was free but I couldn't even think about taking advantage of that. No, we were not in a suite. The captain made frequent announcements to guests about the situation and how best to avoid catching Noro. Several doors on our corridor had the big yellow taped "X" that completely covers the door.

Was this on Celebrity? None of it sounds at all like our experience and we were in the midst of a large outbreak as well.

The worst part was neither of us even had Noro! My wife got food poisoning in Turkey and after being sick all night made the mistake of visiting the Dr. in the am when she was already starting to feel better. Quarantined both of us - her for 48 hours and me for 24. We missed Mykonos. Fortunately have been back several times since.

We also received a FCC for the 3 days (combined) that we were quarantined.

Mike

• 1 month later...
I just read that Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes DO kill the Norovirus.

Yes, that's true. You don't find them in drug or grocery stores, but they're easy to find online (i.e. Amazon). They're called Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, and they'll kill 37 bacteria and viruses including norovirus & rotavirus.

They don't cause the smell or fumes of bleach-based wipes. They DO say not to get the stuff in your eyes, though, and if you use it on a surface that you'll have food on you're advised to wipe it off with a wet cloth after it's sat for a minute or three. Better than 150 in a cylindrical container for somewhere between $12 and $18.

I packs a few wipes folded up in snack-sized baggies - for the plane, different hotel stops, etc. Easy enough to slip into a fanny pack, carry-on or pocket. Good for remotes, phones, bathroom counter tops, door knobs, drawer pulls, closet handles, touch screens, tray tables, plane arm rests - whatever you think needs sanitizing. It really doesn't take any time at all, and it's cheap insurance after spending so much to travel.

Of course, common sense about washing your hands frequently still reigns supreme.

The EPA has a list of the products registered as being effective in killing Norovirus. The page the PDF file is on is at https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-g-epas-registered-antimicrobial-products-effective-against-norovirus and the PDF file itself is this link: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-03/documents/20172701.listg__0.pdf

There are several Clorox products on there that have enough bleach to kill the virus. At home, you would use 5 tablespoons of bleach in a gallon of water to get a concentration strong enough to kill it.

We use wipes that kill viruses and wipe down all the surfaces we touch in the cabin at the very beginning of our cruise. The Norovirus can live on surfaces for up to two weeks, according to the EPA site above.