Depsicable Line Cutters

We had this same problem on our Harmony cruise in November. Seems to be the norm these days. People have a sense of entitlement and think that some rules don't apply to them. It totally ticks me off and burns me. I always say something and let it be known that they are in the wrong. My husband huffs and puffs and complains to me, but rarely says anything...I on the other hand have no problem speaking out.

Wellllllll.... okay.

My BF and I, we live for the music trivia. We're very good at it and we'll win now and then. The last night of the cruise was classic rock which is our forte.

We had settled into the corner with the seats opposite us empty and the bay next to us filled up with a largish party. One of them asked if she could sit across from us and we invited her to join us. She said yes, then no after checking with her party. Bounced over to them then back a couple times. Somewhere in there the cruise director staff guy asked if there were any first time cruisers and woman across from us raised her hand.

Trivia tends to get loud and this night was no exception with the cruise director staff guy talking on a microphone with a fairly heavy accent. And it was a hard trivia, often with very brief sound bites, consisting of as little as 2 notes. Moving fast too, so you have maybe 30 seconds to ID the song and scribble down the title and artist.

So this women, she goes into newbie cruiser mode, leans towards us and starts shouting newbie questions at us. "Is this your first cruise?" "Where are you from?" We're like we're trying to play trivia! She goes "Oh I'm playing too!" and points to her group behind her. I guess she thinks playing by proxy counts but she was not involved or contributing in any way.

I got to the point where I was extending my arm making waving go-away motions, BF was just ignoring her. Then a couple of her friends sit down with her and they start chatting. Shouting because it was really loud in there and talking about things that had nothing to do with trivia. "Did you go to the show? Have you had dinner?" That sort of thing. To the point where it became very distracting because they were in front of us and between us and the presenter. He was giving vague hints, vague but hints nonetheless we wanted to hear but became increasingly difficult to do given the shouting of the women in front of us.

We were telling them to be quiet cause we were trying to play and again got the "oh we're playing too!" bit but they obviously were not.

I finally got fed up and shouted WILL YOU SHUT UP! My bf shouted something too I didn't hear, it may have been STFU they claimed it was STFU b*tch, I didn't hear that either. It's possible he did, to my BF's defense he is bipolar and it becomes increasingly difficult for him to control himself in stressful situations. But they didn't. Shut up, that is.

So the questions/clues portion ended and we moved partly to find someone to switch papers with and partly to get away from the obnoxious people. Ended up sitting with a much more pleasant and charming couple who were horribly embarrassed because they only got 6 or 7 of the answers.

We ended up winning this trivia and got congratulated by the guy who'd been beating us all week. :D We got our prizes which were RC baseball caps. And I guess one of the ladies cried to her significant other that my BF said something mean to her cause about 4 of them approached us and they started ragging on us.

We were like they were yelling and being very distracting and we went back and forth for about a minute and the guy goes, "It's a *bar*". Like that explained everything. I threw back "we were playing a game!" At that point he just got very insulting - you know someone realizes they don't have a valid argument when they resort to insults. Go back to your pathetic little lives with your pathetic little hats. He was insulting our hats! Jealous much?

We separated shortly after that and I couldn't help but think yeah we're so pathetic that's why we cruise twice a year and that's why I'm diamond and we're so pathetic we're in a jr suite and we're so pathetic that we win at trivia. And they don't.

Sorry for being smug but they were just soooo clueless and annoying.

So you and your bf yelled and cursed at another passenger all over a trivia game? What am I missing here? And why are you crucifying these first time cruisers? Weren't you a first timer at one point? Sorry but the way you tell the story it sounds like your party were the jerks.

I work in DC and one of my favorite things is when tourists ride up/down the escalator and then just stop at the top/bottom and cause an 18 person pile up.

i'm assuming you mean for the metro.

for those unaware they are veeeerrrry long escalators going to the bowels of the earth

Funny, between this thread and the hog thread a good portion of cruisers are covered. from the post I am surprised anyone here sets foot on a cruise ship anymore. Of course you can still whine and add drama to cc;p

Don't care for trivia- we actually avoid bars that are having it. I do however understand that some people live and die by the trivia, as evidenced by your reaction and the others..

Yes some people get very into the trivia as the cruise director staff will make comments about it's just a game, we're all here to have fun, etc.

Or how the guy who kept beating us kept rubbing it in our face every time he saw us. He was pretty funny tho. :D And very good at trivia. :D

Funny, between this thread and the hog thread a good portion of cruisers are covered. from the post I am surprised anyone here sets foot on a cruise ship anymore. Of course you can still whine and add drama to cc;p

Are you going to bring out the popcorn?

This is a discussion thread. We're discussing things that are relevant to the topic of discussion. If you're not interested, you can go away.

Edited by anankae

So you and your bf yelled and cursed at another passenger all over a trivia game? What am I missing here? And why are you crucifying these first time cruisers?

They may have been drunk, too.

There were a mess of them, like 10. Too many to fit into the four seat area they were occupying which is why they kept spilling over into the area we were sitting. So at least 7 or more of them were playing trivia.

Perhaps the ones that were doing their best to distract us should have gone back to their group and distracted them. You think?

Weren't you a first timer at one point? Sorry but the way you tell the story it sounds like your party were the jerks.

I am very conscious of my surroundings and of people's feelings and reactions and I'm very careful not to step on other people's toes. I was like this when I was an early cruiser. I've always been like this.

I've also noticed people who've sailed on Carnival think it's okay to come on Royal Caribbean and act like how it's okay to act on Carnival.

I am very conscious of my surroundings and of people's feelings and reactions and I'm very careful not to step on other people's toes. I was like this when I was an early cruiser. I've always been like this.

Well, I feel you on this. You were doing everything to let them know that you were focused on something else and they just weren't getting it. I can see why you were annoyed. It was their first time cruising - was it also their first time out in public? To me, their behavior was no less oblivious than other oblivious people who have been called out on this thread - like those who dawdle at the buffet or cut in line. The fact that they were newbies doesn't excuse it. They kept saying "were playing too" but clearly they weren't. And how were they playing and yet attempting to chit chat with someone who is making it clear that they DON'T want to chit chat? :D If you're playing then you need to be listening too! Get back to your team! LOL!!!

Maaaaaayyyyyybe you guys could have handled it better on your end, but I totally understand your frustration.

I work in DC and one of my favorite things is when tourists ride up/down the escalator and then just stop at the top/bottom and cause an 18 person pile up.

That happens here in Sydney too, at train stations on stairs. It like don't you realise a train load of people is behind you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This lady has a future in wrecking people's cruises:

"The elderly woman was beaten after telling her attacker that she should teach her child to wait for people to get off an elevator instead of pushing to get inside."

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/trending-now/angry-mom-allegedly-beats-71yearold-with-own-cane-for-criticizing-her-parenting/501035272

They may have been drunk, too.

There were a mess of them, like 10. Too many to fit into the four seat area they were occupying which is why they kept spilling over into the area we were sitting. So at least 7 or more of them were playing trivia.

Perhaps the ones that were doing their best to distract us should have gone back to their group and distracted them. You think?

I've also noticed people who've sailed on Carnival think it's okay to come on Royal Caribbean and act like how it's okay to act on Carnival.

But why do you even care about stepping on people's toes...you're a junior suite cruiser! Start acting like it!

Hi.. I've only ruised 2x and it was on carnival. So I'm not slighted, but interested in the observation that you are alluding to. Would like to have the ifo, so I can see if it's prevalent on one cruise line over the other.

My first cruise most folks were polite and respectful. Second cruise Superbowl week pars vs Seahawks, was a different atmosphere and an attitude of entitlement... Other comments I have heard face to face is that RCL is a step up from carnival. Thx for the post. 🚢

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hi.. I've only cruised 2x and it was on carnival. So I'm not slighted, but interested in the observation that you are alluding to. Would like to have the ifo, so I can see if it's prevalent on one cruise line over the other.

My first cruise most folks were polite and respectful. Second cruise Superbowl week pars vs Seahawks, was a different atmosphere and an attitude of entitlement... Other comments I have heard face to face is that RCL is a step up from carnival. Thx for the post. 🚢