Insurance for illness while traveling ONLY

Hi everyone! I recently learned that my credit card company automatically gives me insurance for costs of cancelled trips and re-routed travel. After a traveling partner broke a tooth on a recent cruise, we've decided to get travel insurance. However, we haven't found one that does (and charges for) medical only. What about anyone else? If you have a Citi card and have travel protection, how do you cover the rest?

On my last couple of cruises purchased with the COSTCO Citi CC, I've only purchased medical/evacuation for the same reason. For the past three, and upcoming 7 day cruise into the Caribbean my policy has been $47 regardless of the cruise cost. The insurance company I picked has three letters beginning with "A".

Go onto the insuremy.....com website or square.....com, enter all the real info but filter the policy coverage search for medical, or medical evacuation only. No need to enter a fake travel cost as it ignores it anyway for medical/evacuation only coverage.

There's one not-so-tiny glitch with the above advice. Credit Card provided travel insurance (even though not a medical supplement) will not pay for trip cancellation/interruption expenses, which are the result of a pre-existing medical condition (yes, the CC insurance has a "lookback" period). Unlike comprehensive travel insurance policies purchased within the company's required days from first deposit, credit card coverage offers no waivers of PEC.

With CCs, there are also max benefit limits that won't work for longer and/or non-cheap cruises. In those situations, it might be a good idea to pay part of the trip with one family member's CC and the rest with the other family member's CC from the same CC company. This effectively doubles the max claim limit in most cases. Still, even the best CC "free" travel insurance (e.g., United Explorer Visa or Chase Sapphire) has fairly limited benefits.

BTW: For seniors, where PEC waivers may be absolutely essential, carefully choose your Medicare supplement insurance so that the policy converts to, at least, their "basic" regular policy that includes coverage abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CSA Travel Protection offers a "Post Departure' plan meaning it has IN TRIP coverages but not trip cancellation protection. You want the trip interruption coverages which you may not get with a $0 trip cost input. For some reason its not on http://www.csatravelprotection.com but if you call a CSA rep 800-874-2442 they can sell this plan to you. Explain your needs.

Hi everyone! I recently learned that my credit card company automatically gives me insurance for costs of cancelled trips and re-routed travel. After a traveling partner broke a tooth on a recent cruise, we've decided to get travel insurance. However, we haven't found one that does (and charges for) medical only. What about anyone else? If you have a Citi card and have travel protection, how do you cover the rest?

Are you looking for medical ONLY or medical AND evacuation only. If the latter, there are hundreds of policies that provide that coverage. That is what we have. I have never been able to see the sense of trip cancellation coverage. I insure for the big stuff and don't worry about the small stuff.

If the former, you need to contact InsureMyTrip or one of the other insurance providers.

DON

About using two credit cards, my fine print covers travel problems only up to the amount charged on that CC.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

So, charge basic cruise on card A and airfare/transfers/excursions/pre+post land travel on card B from the same company using the same trip start/end dates. That effectively doubles your limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you looking for medical ONLY or medical AND evacuation only. If the latter, there are hundreds of policies that provide that coverage. That is what we have. I have never been able to see the sense of trip cancellation coverage. I insure for the big stuff and don't worry about the small stuff.

If the former, you need to contact InsureMyTrip or one of the other insurance providers.

DON

My $47 policy from AIG provides both medical and evacuation but coverages are secondary.