Anyone know what is going on with the Summit

kampinguru

We had a cruise booked over a year ago for the Summit out of San Juan for Feb 11 2017. We got a letter from Celebrity saying that the cruise was cancelled. We didnt like any of the itineraries they offered to replace it with so we pushed it out to Feb 2018 and booked an RCCL cruise for this year. We got a letter again from Celebrity saying that the Summit out of San Juan was cancelled for 2018 too, and we booked another itinerary that was offered next Feb. Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on with the Summit.

Summit is a ship popular with charters. Perhaps more so than the other S class ships due to the smaller size and age making it less costly? Just a guess. After seeing many people have their Summit cruises cancelled, that is the one ship I was avoid booking very far in advance.

Friends went on 2 charter cruises on HAL and ended up sick after both cruises. This year, they went on a Summit charter and they had a wonderful cruise...Celebrity offers a great product and the Summit is a great ship for charter groups.

I still would not hesitate to book the Summit. If plans have to be changed...so be it...and they at least offer a little compensation for changing your plans.

We originally moved from Princess to RCCL and subsequently X when Princess stopped using San Juan as a home port. It is so frustrating to me that X doesn't have a ship regularly sailing in winter from San Juan. I prefer X over RCCL, but I also prefer SJU as the home port over FLL/MIA.

We sailed Silhouette out of FLL this year, but next year we may skip a winter cruise due to lack of an X - SJU option. :(

That makes sense. We have a large bank on Canada that used to charter the Century to reward it's top performers with a cruise every year. I guess that is what is happening here. Thanks very much for the information.

We had a cruise booked over a year ago for the Summit out of San Juan for Feb 11 2017. We got a letter from Celebrity saying that the cruise was cancelled. We didnt like any of the itineraries they offered to replace it with so we pushed it out to Feb 2018 and booked an RCCL cruise for this year. We got a letter again from Celebrity saying that the Summit out of San Juan was cancelled for 2018 too, and we booked another itinerary that was offered next Feb. Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on with the Summit.
A company that does full charter music cruises took Summit for 4 weeks from 21 January to 18 February 2017. After that, there was one 9-night Celebrity cruise, and then she has been on charter again since 27 February (until 16 March).

Next year, that first company is taking Summit for three weeks from 27 January to 17 February 2018, and then for two further weeks from 10 March to 24 March 2018.

We've had the same thing happen to us with the Summit. Our Jan '17 was chartered as well as our April '18 cruise. Rather than to set myself up for disappointment again, we will only book the Summit for a carribean cruise from SJU during a holiday period. It seems only the caribbean itineraries are chartered out of San Juan.

We do have an early Dec '18 cruise booked on the Summit, but we are holding on to it just in case it gets chartered for some benefits. I'm not counting on this cruise sailing. While the redeployment benefits aren't great, every bit of extra OBC helps.

We're booked on the Summit for January 13, 2018 - I haven't heard anything from Celebrity about our cruise. Think we're in the clear?
My guess is yes. 13 Jan is a 7-night San Juan round-trip. 20 Jan is a 7-night positioning to Fort Lauderdale, and 27 Jan is when those charters start. So the ship's itinerary looks set up now, especially as http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise-ship-celebrity-summit.html shows some more holes and accommodation for unannounced charters.