Alchoholics Anonymous

malily

Do most Regent cruises have AA meetings? We have taken previous Regent cruises but this would be the first as a "friend of Bill's". Never payed any attention to this before. Thanks!

My apologies, was confusing with Friends of Dorothy meetings,

;p Yeah, just a slight difference.

Being a Bill myself, I had to research what the 'Friends of Bill' meetings were - didn't know if I was required to attend. Took me a bit longer to look up the 'Friends of Dorothy' meetings.

Well strictly speaking it's a euphemism, not an acryonym, but whatever. I think Bill W. is short for the founder of AA, right? Which is predicated on anonymity, hence the "W".

Correct. Bill W. was Bill Wilson, one of the founders of AA.

Malily...I think I can answer your question. My wife and I have been cruising on Regent since 2010. We both have been "Friends of Bill" for a long time (34 years for her and 18 years for me). On all the six Regent cruises we've taken, the daily flyer has listed FOB meetings (usually at 5:00PM or 6:00PM) in the Library or Card Room. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's been our experience that we are usually the only ones who show up. I am not really sure why that is. Perhaps it's because Regent is all-inclusive and some folks who are choosing not to imbibe, may choose a different cruise line where they are not being charged up front for the alcohol.

We find that Regent works for us (considering we have two more cruises scheduled with them in the next 18 months). What we have done at times is attend AA meetings on land when it fits with our schedule.

Hope this helps... Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your answer.. I wondered how many folks would show, factoring in the included beverages. I have also heard of tapes that you can take and I would have 12 and 12 and BB on my phone, so that should suffice, too.