NOLA Question for After Spring Break Cruise

hawkinsh

My family will stay in NOLA for a couple nights after our cruise. We will be there a Thur-Sat morning. We will be staying in the French Quarter and want to do a few things. My party will be me, wife, 3 kids (6-11 yo), mother law in wheelchair. So he is what I am asking help with.

1. I see that there is a trolley system. We would love to use this to get around exclusively. Is this a good idea. My mother law is in wheel chair, but can transfer to a seat. Will this be possible? Can we buy the day passes at our hotel the Whyndom French Quarter?

2. What are 2-3 must do things in the area (French Quarter)? I have heard of Jackson Square, the French Market and of course Cafe DuMonde, but what are a couple other things. We do not want to spend a fortune, so I would be interested in what things cost as well.

3. As you read above we will be at the Whyndom French Quarter, and so we will be looking for some places to eat. One thing that is a MUST DO for me is a good po'boy. We we also need a couple places for dinner that will not cost us our first morn child.

We are just a normal family from NE Arkansas. We want a fun NOLA experience, but can't afford to spend a fortune. After all, we will have just got off a cruise, so this is just a fun tag on for Spring Break. Non of us have ever been to NOLA.

Bourbon Street at night. It's a cesspool of debauchery, but a can't-miss experience, IMO. I took my 10-yr old daughter and the photo with the ultra-feminine gay guy wearing nothing but an impressive six-pack (abs) and a diaper was her highlight of the trip, including the cruise. Be careful not to step on any used condoms.

Go to St Louis Cemetery No 1 and see Nicolas Cage's pyramind tomb and the grave of Marie Laveau. Visit Blaine's Mardi Gras World. The National World War II Museum is in NoLa. Definitely visit Bourbon Street

1. I see that there is a trolley system. We would love to use this to get around exclusively. Is this a good idea. My mother law is in wheel chair, but can transfer to a seat. Will this be possible? Can we buy the day passes at our hotel the Whyndom French Quarter?

You probably don't want to call them "trolleys" in New Orleans. You can buy street car passes from the street car driver. I think some of the stops have machines as well. In the past I've also purchased them at either walgreens or CVS but I want to say the last time I tried to they said they only sold the three day passes. I just buy them from the driver now. Bring cash for that.

Here's the handicapped information:

Street Cars

The streetcar experience is also feasible for handicapped travellers. The green streetcars that run down the St. Charles Avenue line are not equipped for persons requiring mobility devices. However, the red streetcars that travel on the Canal Street and Riverfront lines are accessible for handicapped passengers.

Red streetcar features include:

• Lifts that elevate riders and allow them to board
  • Areas where wheelchairs can be secured
  • Priority seating areas

If you have a disability that prevents you from riding the standard bus or streetcar transportation system, you may qualify for paratransit rides, with which a bus or minivan will pick you up and drop you off at just about any location in New Orleans. Click here for more information on how to apply for the RTA paratransit system and click here for more information on riding the bus or streetcar with a disability.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/handicap-transportation.html

I live just on the outskirts of Nola and we have done a "stay-cation" with our kiddos and stayed in the city and "played tourist". This is what we did or what I suggest....

1. The street car....at the time, we had a baby in a stroller and would take her out and fold stroller to get on a street car. If your MIL is transferable with having to wheel her up the steps, then you don't HAVE to wait for a Handicap accessible street car.....Just fold up her chair and hold on for the ride. As far as buying tickets at the hotel, I'm not familiar with that. There are machines at some of the stops where you can purchase, or else purchase from the driver (have EXACT cash). It looks to me that they may be able to be purchased online as well. Check out these websites to see pricing, routes, detours, service alerts, etc.

sometimes you have to get off one to get to another to get where you are going so try to familiarize yourself with the routing system.

http://www.norta.com

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html

2. You have the idea of the "MUST things to do"....Jackson Square, St Louis Cathedral, Cafe du Monde, French Market (kids love to buy the cheap stuff at the market and bargain your prices).

Some things that cost $$ but are worth looking at and are accessible by street car are....

****The National WW2 Museum. Phenomenal!! And you and the kids would LOVE the Beyond All Boundaries film that is offered in one of the ticket options. It's a 4D journey narrated by Tom Hanks.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/visit/tickets.html

****Any of the Audubon sites (Aquarium, IMAX, Insectarium, Zoo, etc) are either within walking distance or accessible by street car

http://audubonnatureinstitute.org/tickets

****Mardi Gras World is really cool and interesting but you can't get there via street car however they do offer free shuttle bus service.

http://www.mardigrasworld.com/about-us/getting-here/

http://www.mardigrasworld.com/tours/

3. For a good poboy you could try Johnny's Po-boys. Cash only. Not the cleanest looking, but not much in New Orleans is since all the buildings are so old.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zomato.com/new-orleans/johnnys-po-boys-new-orleans/menu%3Famp%3D1

***some other places to eat on the inexpensive side are:

The Ruby Slipper...only open for breakfast and lunch til like 2:00pm

Dat Dog--colorful fun place for the kids

If you are here for a New Orleans French Quarter experience then Bourbon Street is a must HOWEVER...it is just that, "an experience",to say the least, for your kiddos. It is definitely full of debauchery but is of a lesser degree (not much) during the day. We did bring our kids one day but didn't stay long....to give you an example that my kids still talk about to this day about 3 yrs later....there was a guy (on bourbon st) in a black bikini top and black speedo bottoms with spikes all over the top and bottoms. He was so drunk and belligerent that he ran into a pole and then began making out with the pole and rubbing his front side up and down it. They crack up laughing whenever it gets brought up.

Hope some of this info helps. I hope you guys have a fantastic time!! You can't help but fall in love with it even with all its craziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

to give you an example that my kids still talk about to this day about 3 yrs later....there was a guy (on bourbon st) in a black bikini top and black speedo bottoms with spikes all over the top and bottoms. He was so drunk and belligerent that he ran into a pole and then began making out with the pole and rubbing his front side up and down it. They crack up laughing whenever it gets brought up.

I was having a bad day....geeez.

To get a real feel for the quarter, I stay away from cafe du Monde..too touristy. Cafe beignet on Royal is much more "local". As far as po boys, Mothers can't be beat. Central grocery near the French market is the originator of the muffuletta.

As mentioned, it is Streetcar not anything else. :) The St Charles does not have any lifts, so everyone has to climb the stairs up and in. A w/c can be folded, as long as you can manage putting it at the back of the streetcar? The steps are high. All the other lines have a wheel chair lift, and so do all the buses. You will find the sidewalks a challenge as there are a lot of broken/uneven areas, so keep your eyes ahead for uneven surfaces so you don't throw someone out of the chair.

Do you already have reservations?

The above poster neglects to mention it, but St. Louis #1 has fees to enter (was $20), and you HAVE to go with a licensed tour guide. I've been in it multiple times so probably won't be going again. :) At the end of the Canal St. Cemetery Streetcar. There is a very nice free cemetery that also has a Katrina Memorial. I happen to also like strolling the City Park and Art Museum.

Free tours by Foot, (tip based) has excellent walking tours, that would be easy with a wheelchair. (I have done it). The Park Service visitor centers also a worth a look, one with free walking tours, movie, exhibits, the other scheduled activities/musicians.

Be aware that most venues, bars, for music will require a drink purchase per set. You'll be asked to leave, if you don't purchase. Saying you don't want any doesn't work. :)

The French Quarter is not a place for a family with 3 small kids and a senior in a wheel chair. Not for you. Cancel your reservations and do something else. I love the French Quarter, but this is not remotely a good place for your situation. You do not want to do this.

Bourbon Street at night. It's a cesspool of debauchery, but a can't-miss experience, IMO. I took my 10-yr old daughter and the photo with the ultra-feminine gay guy wearing nothing but an impressive six-pack (abs) and a diaper was her highlight of the trip, including the cruise. Be careful not to step on any used condoms.

Love the French Quarter but not a place for young kids.

Try The Gumbo Pot, it's delicious! It's on Decatur next to Jax brewery. The Praline Connection is good , on Frenchmen St- has great southern style food.

Your family will be perfectly fine in the French Quarter, even walking down Bourbon in the morning/Afternoon will be fine. We frequently New Orleans about 5 times a year, my favorite city to visit, even when not cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this thread, I'm doing the same thing with the Fantasy cruise out of Mobile but flying in and out of Nola. Hoping to have 2 trips in 1, first time to Nola. So the WWII museum is a must, but would it be OK for a 7 and 4 year old (practically speaking, obviously the museum is about war)?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Thanks for this thread, I'm doing the same thing with the Fantasy cruise out of Mobile but flying in and out of Nola. Hoping to have 2 trips in 1, first time to Nola. So the WWII museum is a must, but would it be OK for a 7 and 4 year old (practically speaking, obviously the museum is about war)?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

I don't think the museum is inappropriate for young children because it is about war. It's also a museum about history and my son (now a military historian) would have loved it had it been around when he was 7 years old.

I think the bigger problem would be it holding the interest of most young children for the length of time that you will want to spend in the museum. Admission is not cheap and you don't want to have to leave after 45 minutes because the kids are bored. You know best whether your children can manage a museum for 2-3 hours (which is the minimum time you will want to spend there.)

I don't think the museum is inappropriate for young children because it is about war. It's also a museum about history and my son (now a military historian) would have loved it had it been around when he was 7 years old.

I think the bigger problem would be it holding the interest of most young children for the length of time that you will want to spend in the museum. Admission is not cheap and you don't want to have to leave after 45 minutes because the kids are bored. You know best whether your children can manage a museum for 2-3 hours (which is the minimum time you will want to spend there.)

Because of time constraints, we spent only about 3 1/2 hours at the museum. I felt I could have easily spent a couple more hours there.

For a Po'Boy (and if you have a car) go visit Parkway Tavern. They open at 11:00 AM and get crowded after opening - but it's worth it. With regards to The Quarter - Simply be careful and you should be fine. However, DO NOT fall for the scam when somebody comes up to you and asks "I'll betcha I can tell you where you got your shoes!" You think to yourself, how is this person going to know where I got my shoes so you take the bait. Well - you got your shoes.....On Your Feet On Bourbon Street! That's the game. Don't fall for it - keep walking and do not engage with this. The same goes for the person that comes up to you all panicked and will say something to the effect of "my boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/partner/spouse etc., etc., just passed out (or my car got towed - or I am late for an appointment or I need to call the police, etc.) and do you have a phone. The battery on mine died, etc., etc. So being the kind person you are and someone who wants to help, you hand over your phone to this person and guess what? They split with your phone - and split fast! Again, just be smart and stay aware and you should be fine.

I didn't read through all the replays, but thought I'd weigh in on one place.

The restaurant MOTHERS was recommended to us by the locals. It was really good, not expensive, a lot of food, and they are cool with your kids sharing plates, etc... very friendly staff...

I didn't check your profile, but if you live in or near a city go to a museum one day as a practice run. You may have to help the 4 year old by providing context. And let your older child help too. I'll never forget my older one interpreting paintings of Wagner's Ring Cycle: "Here's Simba being crowned," Here's Simba exploring" - the younger one was very into Lion King that year. This visit will give you an idea of the amount of time you'll have before a meltdown, how frequently you need to stop for snacks, etc.

Another way to do it is to dig up any family albums or quiz the oldest relatives you know about who participated in WWII and where. If you can say "my grandfather built airplanes" then the hangar of planes will have some relevance. Check out some picture books from the library - your librarian can help you find good ones. For mine at that age it was the tanks and planes that were most interesting.

At age 4 he or she will know about fighting. You can explain your own viewpoint on war (I called it "when countries are fighting"). In fact you might be asked difficult questions about why they were fighting so think about an age-appropriate answer in advance ("because they had to stop a bully", for example).

Or split up and have one parent take the youngest one to the zoo while everyone else visits the museum.