Excursion that doesn't go to a beach???...

Tminish

Hi.

Have you went on an excursion that doesn't go to a beach and that consisted of seeing the city? If so, how was it? What did you do? Where did you go? Who did you use? I would like to know.

I'll be traveling with my boyfriend who isn't a beach guy but will do it with me if I ask...Since we will have a beach day in Costa Maya and Harvest Cay, I figured doing something he wanted to do in Cozumel would only be right. =) So, he wants to see the city, culture, etc. of the island.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know your experience.

Thanks so much!

Cozumel...the city, San Miguel, is small and consists of restaurants and retail stores, one catholic church, one small museum. You can walk it all on your own.

For culture, Mayan history, take a tour over to the mainland...either Tulum or Coba or do a cenote tour, like Underground river which will teach you history.

Cozumel is an island so most of the tourist attractions are focused on the water, the beach, etc. As mentioned above, not much city of culture to see on Cozumel.

Instead of a beach day maybe something more active - amazing race? Cozumel bar hop? Sail/snorkel tour?

Fun hands-on cooking class in the home of a local with trip to Mercado, Cooking with Josefina.

Walking photography tour with Tati Biernas, or she will customize tours to other areas.

Food tour with Cozumel Chef.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Bar Hop isn't too much about "culture". Fun Though

Amazing race can show you some things but limited in area and you're running around a lot. Fun, though.

Last I heard Josephina wasn't doing her classes or doing them regularly. They are great if you enjoy cooking and Mexican food and want to learn about the Yucatan variations. Better than a Rick Bayless TV show. Fun too. Just may not be available.

I suggest hiring a driver for the day. Either negotiate with a taxi or look up Tours Plaza and hire one of their drivers. That person can take you around to all the local places and show you the entire island. Stops could include, Discover Mexico, Punta Sur, the Lighthouse and the "gator" refuge. A drive past the blow holes on the east side, a stop at one of the bars on the east side (recommend Bob Marley's or Punta Mornena. Coconuts if you're into the tourista thing). The Tequila Factory. San Gervasio ruins. KaoKao Chocloates, lunch at San Pescadario or a small loncheria/ comina economica. The Plaza if you wish to shop, the museum along the waterfront. And where ever the driver says you need to go to visit.

Carnival (some other lines may too) offers a Salsa, Salsa, and Margarita tour that we loved. You learn how to make margaritas and some different types of salsa. They give you food and unlimited margaritas (or non-alcoholic drinks) to go with your salsa. Then at the end, you learn how to salsa dance. It's one of the most fun and tastiest excursions we've ever done.