Florence the Zebra takes on the Panama Canal and the Island Princess!

bluenoser2

I will do that for sure Westendgirl! I do not think I ever saw Bavarian Night this cruise - I'm going with "they didn't have one" - so no one tell me "but they ALWAYS have one!" because then I will feel very sad.

February 28,Tuesday: Debarkation in Ft. Lauderdale.

There was no attempt at a walk this morning for The Mr. Not wanting to get in the way of deck hands who needed to be swabbing or whatever it is deck hands do, he decided to lay low. The last morning is always a surreal kind of time. Everyone was eating in the buffet when we went at 7:00 (so we’d have time to brush our teeth in our room one last time before vacating) but winter clothes have started to appear on those who will be flying to northern climes. And there are carry-ons. And people already have that look of the “real world” about them. We went for a stroll on the upper decks, and again – that strange feeling of it being deserted. No one was there except for us, watching our approach into the Ft. Lauderdale area. Quiet. Yup. Surreal.

We watched the end of yet another movie, before getting out of our room and peeking in all the vacated suites across the hall from us. Explorers lounge was our Platinum wait spot, so we huddled down therefor the next while, evaluating our time, and well, I can’t lie, sipping my last cup of Princess tea.

Our group was called right on schedule “Passengers with Other Arrangements” and we filed somberly and politely past all the crew members we met. And there it was. We were off the ship that last time. Into that real world. Thankfully, the real world had our 3 pieces of luggage we had entrusted to it the previous evening, and we gathered all our worldly belongings and joined the huge line-up for customs/passport check/whatever it is.

We were in it for a few steps, when one of the workers said “everyone just has American passports, right?” to which we eagerly shook our heads no, and we bypassed the long line-up for the wee Canada line up. Score. Everything proceeded easily and in a timely manner. Once through the checkpoint, we headed outdoors and found the taxi queue. Well, there was no queue, we just went and got a taxi. What a difference from embarkation day! There was virtually no traffic anywhere, since we had chosen not to leave the ship until after 9:00a.m. and since it was Tuesday and since there weren't seven ships in port. We were quickly transported to the airport where we were going to rent another car as we were staying an extra night before flying home. Baby steps. Transitioning back into real life can't be done all at once. We didn’t want to get back any sooner than we absolutely had to! Let’s just say that taxi ride was a third of the cost of the previous TO the port taxi on embarkation day.

After browsing the Hertz pick your own car aisle, Florence chose a sweet red Buick and we were off to Sawgrass Mills shopping centre for the day.

ry%3D400

You would think we would be fasting for the next 2 weeks to make up for the past 10 days, but where did we end up for “tea” in the afternoon? Cheesecake Factory. Yep. I had tea alright. And more. And you know what? WE HAD TO PAY. Really. Imagine. It was good. But still…..we HAD TO PAY!

ry%3D400

We stayed at at the same hotel that we had pre-cruise,so that was kind of homey for us. A relaxing time at the pool before the sun went down was a great way to end this last day “down south.”

ry%3D400

So. Here are my reflections:

What I love about Island Princess: The Lotus Pool. LOVE the Lotus Pool. Love the fact that there’s enough pools for people on this ship. One can actually swim. It looked like there were enough hot tubs too, but I don’t do hot tubs, so I’m not the one to evaluate them.

Horizon Court Buffet. Location,location, location. It was just a lovely spot. Especially if you could score a window at the front. Even if you couldn’t it was roomy enough and bright enough, and there was food enough…..

The Hallway by the Wheelhouse Bar. It was cozy. It was a wide passageway, it was just a nice place to curl up with a book, no matter how bad the book was, and people watch….or…yes, I know what you’re thinking….nap.

The library. It was big, it had game tables, and games in the shelves, and it was just a really nice area to discover. It was also always open – since it was a passage to the other part of the ship.

What I missed on Island Princess: Well, it won’t surprise you that I did miss the International Café. I got over it mind you, unless I reminded myself that there was such a thing on other ships. Then I got a little wistful look in my eye….

Pizza that went later than 9:00 at the pizza place. Not room service pizza, I just liked going to the place where they made it to watch, and of course grab one, late at night.

Movies on Demand in the stateroom. This isn’t a deal breaker by any means, but we were always watching the last ½ hour of a movie and then starting it again. We liked being able to watch a movie from the beginning, on our time. Aren’t we the First World problem people.

Anytime dining that worked. It didn’t work. Well, it sort of worked. But it wasn’t like the old days. Just sayin’. I think if it were possible to get a table for 2 in Traditional Dining, we might just try that next time.

I probably have way more reflections, but I just can't think of them right now. Florence loves any ship. Any time. Anywhere. Oh! That's me too! And the Mr.

Wednesday, MARCH 1: Going home…almost.

ry%3D400

(Bye bye flowers outside!)

Travel day donned and The Mr. really got it all right this trip (not that he doesn't EVERY trip, I'm just affirming him for all the thought he put in to this trip which totally worked - just in case HE gets to the end of this review).

Determined not to be stressed at all, we had chosen to go home the day after the cruise ended so we wouldn’t be schlepping bags around with us for the day until it was time to fly on the only available flight that day.

On this day there was an earlier flight available, but alas! It wasn’t a direct flight. But that was ok. No one was in a hurry going this direction! We were at the airport early,and spent lots of time walking, since they had checked our larger carry-ons forf ree (crowded flight and all) and everything went according to plan and schedule. It’s a long day when you have to fly to Montreal, and wait around, and then fly to Halifax.

ry%3D400

By the time we got back to Nova Scotia it was 9:00 p.m. and we found our truck in the hotel parking lot, went out for a bite to eat, and stayed in the hotel again that night before driving to our home sweet home – which, in case you’re interested had lost all the snow that was pictured at the beginning of this review! Yay! We were all happy about that. Florence returned to her special travel drawer, happy to be home, at least for a little while.

For those of you who persevered and stuck it out to the bitter end, thank you for indulging me in my reminiscences. The Mr. has already started perusing cruise brochures. Where will our next voyage take us? That remains unknown for now –to date, we have not been on the same ship twice, nor the same itinerary twice. That still leaves a whole lot of options! Until next time then! Florence signing off.

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATMwMAItOGZhNS1mMzZkLTAwAi0wMAoARgAAAw9SBGgm2AdKiQ1LfL%2BeJG4HAH47DQmndFZLl2VzP6VFO0kAAAIBDAAAAH47DQmndFZLl2VzP6VFO0kAAU39ws4AAAABEgAQANcH461fu6tHkF%2BEX3oh0QU%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=S5z_74nyIUSiMF4nyVk8lTApuLVUbtQYeKSAZOwkwsfd_O333q_0-huuNsFweIsSxyHa79LCgbg.&token=76ca5646-9600-463a-bbd4-34454063a7ec&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

A big Thank You to bluenoser, Florence & the mister. I feel like I've come to the end of a wonderful book by a fellow Canadian author:cool:. I enjoyed your posts from start to finish & it has made me even more excited for our own Island Princess panama experience in a months time. You have a terrific writing style!:D

Great review! Thanks for sharing all your experiences...good, very good and almost good! Enjoyed your wonderful sense of humor....and yeah, even thought I'm not Canadian.....I "got" you!

I was so bummed when I found out there is no IC on this ship, but still so happy I can get my cappuccinos (and tea)!!

We have early dining since our cruise friends need to eat early, so we won't have to deal with anytime dining, thank goodness!

I have already decided that based on your review, Lotus Pool will be our "go to" pool! Did they serve cookie and cold milk by the pool in the afternoon?

Our Island Princess sailing is in 32 day! Yay!!! Even more anxious to sail now that I have read your epic review!!

:D Thanks again to you and the Mr. and of course Florence!

I'm so sad to see your review come to an end - I'm going to miss you, the Mr and of course, Florence. Come back soon - I am eagerly awaiting the further adventures of Florence the Zebra!

My sentiments exactly. I have loved every minute of this journal. Looking forward to when another 'epic' is written for another cruise.

I have already decided that based on your review, Lotus Pool will be our "go to" pool! Did they serve cookie and cold milk by the pool in the afternoon?

No, I never saw the trays of cookies, or the backpack of milk (!) anywhere. They always brought out cookies at 3:30 in Horizon Court though. I tried to not mention that or The Mr. would have been sad. Not as sad as me having missed Sacher Torte. But pretty sad.

Happy to hear that you made it home safely but so, so sorry that your blog has ended.

You provided some much needed escapism 'between cruises' and I always enjoy your writing style and sense of humor. Your politeness and tactfulness should make Canadians everywhere proud!

Come back soon Marla, Rev. DH, and Florence the Tiny Zebra! You will be very missed :loudcry:

Thank you for your time and effort reviewing your cruise. You brightened my day for the past couple weeks. Florence, stay healthy so you can travel again and review your next trip as well. Take great care of your travel companions as well. Until the next review. . . .

Thank you ever so much. I truly loved the adventures of Florence, Bluenoser, and the Mr. It was most informative and I am now prepared for my cruise on the Coral on March 28. Looking forward to your next cruise so I may follow in your path.

What an enjoyable review!!! Since I'm getting up there in years, and some of my brain cells are no longer functioning, I have forgotten where Florence is heading next. I want to make sure I don't miss her next trip ... and will you and the Mister be joining her by any chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What an enjoyable review!!! Since I'm getting up there in years, and some of my brain cells are no longer functioning, I have forgotten where Florence is heading next. I want to make sure I don't miss her next trip ... and will you and the Mister be joining her by any chance?

Thank you all for your lovely kind words. I passed them onto Florence, and she blushed. Bruinboy, your brain cells are doing just fine - WE don't know where Florence is heading next.....so we're all in suspenseful waiting mode!

Marla, thank you very much for your wonderful review! Of course, thank you to your Mr, and to Florence as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed your journey, and have numerous notes for our own Panama Canal cruise next year. :cool:

I hope when you are ready to begin your next review you will post a link here so I will get an email reminder of a post to subscribed thread, and thus be able to find you! :D

I hope when you are ready to begin your next review you will post a link here so I will get an email reminder of a post to subscribed thread, and thus be able to find you! :D

ME TOO please -- and thank you. I'd hate to miss it.

Long before our cruising days when we were into exotic and independent adventures we would take along Frieda the Pink Flamingo and pose her as a tourist. (She was one of those small Beanie things) Upon our return I'd write up her adventures for grandchildren -- often in rhyming doggerel. I like to think it opened the world a bit for them. Now they're beginning their own adventures.

Should there be grands in your life, do consider this.

Ruth

Thank you again for your kind compliments. Now I am the one blushing! And I will do my best to try to remember to provide a link from here....whenever that will be. 2018 sometime I'm sure! The Mr. seems to be "ALLURED" right now into looking at those mega-ships, but we already have our FCC for the next Princess cruise - and they always seem to have itineraries that we like the best.

As for the Florence idea - thank you! We're not up to the Elite level of Grandparenting yet, and happily waiting our turn. But interestingly, it was our children that prompted us to start taking Florence with us in the first place, when our girls were young enough to miss us when we took off without them, we "borrowed" a scrappy little zebra that one of them had tormented their older brother with in his university days.....they keep reminding me that she is married...to Larry Pylon. Larry doesn't travel well. We began by taking all those tourist shots with Florence to send to our kids and let them know what was going on. Then it got out of hand, because we took the kids with us, and THEY were embarrassed to be seen with Florence! Imagine! Embarrassed to be seen with World Traveler Extraordinaire FLORENCE. Sigh. Kids.