How many people prefer the Main Dining Room (MDR) over the buffet when boarding?

trbarton

Not really sure why this is an either/or proposition. We enjoy going to the MDR for the experience more so than the food. The options are limited, but after being in the cattle drive that is the embarkation process, we enjoy the civility of sitting at a linen-clad table chatting with a gracious server. However, after finishing our lunch, if the limited selections leave us wanting, a quick trip to the HC for some food "to go" to take back to our balcony is not out of the question. And if Alfredo's is available on our ship, we will certainly try to secure a table there. And after all that, it is time to head to the IC for espresso and maybe (likely?) a chocolate mousse.

Always MDR on embarkation day. I don't care for the buffet on the first day, it's too crazy. It seems their tactic of trying to pretend the MDR is not open and shove you towards the buffet is quite effective. The MDR is usually pretty quiet and we get a nice seat at the windows. Our last cruise was on Royal Caribbean and I was very disappointed there wasn't a proper dining room to have lunch at. I was also very surprised, having always done this on Princess and NCL. Live and learn!

Embarkation day - is dining room for me. the buffet can be...overwhelming for some people and they don't seem to know where to start so they stand there taking it all in.....for what seems like HOURS. Plus the noise level on embarkation can be high - so the I have gotten in the habit of heading to the MDR or Alfredo's for a quite bite.

We've always boarded early & eaten at the buffet. No lines, plenty of choices, loads of window seats. It lets you have an enjoyable lunch & unpack before muster time.

Of course if you have to be served then the DR is for you :rolleyes:

and waste an hour of more to eat in the process. :cool:

Embarkation day - is dining room for me. the buffet can be...overwhelming for some people and they don't seem to know where to start so they stand there taking it all in.....for what seems like HOURS. Plus the noise level on embarkation can be high - so the I have gotten in the habit of heading to the MDR or Alfredo's for a quite bite.

We totally agree. Once we board we drop our carry on in the room and head for the dining room for a relaxing lunch.

We couldn't agree more. We detest the buffet and try to stay out of it as much as possible. When we cruise we are on vacation if I wanted to go to a buffet I could go to the Golden Corral at home, never go there anyway.

We couldn't agree more. We detest the buffet and try to stay out of it as much as possible. When we cruise we are on vacation if I wanted to go to a buffet I could go to the Golden Corral at home, never go there anyway.

Now that's a low blow. Comparing the Horizon court to Golden Corral. :eek:

Even Mickey D's is a step up form the slop that serve at the Corral.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-man-claims-golden-corral-chili-rat-head-article-1.1981988

We very much prefer the MDR for lunch on embarcation day. The buffet seems to me to be a big, noisy, crowded zoo. It's a really good tempered zoo, since everybody's happy to be there, but I'd still rather be somewhere else.