After fighting with the RCCL website for the last two hours and being spun in circles

I decided to look at one of those "other" booking sites to check on rates and availability. I noticed one of those vendors are offering free gratuities for the sailing I am interested in. I will be Diamond for my 2018 sailing, and in 3 weeks I will be on the Anthem. I was hoping to book on board in order to receive my balcony discount ($225), but I'm beginning to wonder if booking with a mega travel site who is offering free gratuities (roughly $324 for a 12 nighter) is the better deal.

Do most people book with RCCL direct or choose to use one of the mega travel booking agencies? Their website is really frustrating me :mad:

I have always booked directly on RCI website. I tried one of those mega sites for our cruise this year. I originally booked for three people in a cabin and had to change it shortly after booking to two people. The change cost me $50. RCI would have done it for nothing. When the price dropped down, I called to get the lower price and was told that one change in price is allowed for free. After that, any changes are $50 each. The price has dropped but I did not call and change because the charge to get the lower price pretty much wiped out the lower price difference. I have done price drops with RCI and have never paid for the privilege of the change. Also, when I did the first price change my OBC went from $100 down to $75 with the mega site. I would say that this will probably be the last time I use one of the Mega sites for my reservations. RCI is much better to deal with.

... Do most people book with RCCL direct or choose to use one of the mega travel booking agencies? Their website is really frustrating me :mad:

We use a travel agent, so I rarely have to use the RC website unless we're on one of the ships where you have to book shows in advance.

you should get your balcony diamond discount regardless of where you book... book now, call back when you're status changes and have discount applied (of course, if booking outside of rccl direct, make sure the TA will do this, but they SHOULD!)

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I decided to look at one of those "other" booking sites to check on rates and availability. I noticed one of those vendors are offering free gratuities for the sailing I am interested in. I will be Diamond for my 2018 sailing, and in 3 weeks I will be on the Anthem. I was hoping to book on board in order to receive my balcony discount ($225), but I'm beginning to wonder if booking with a mega travel site who is offering free gratuities (roughly $324 for a 12 nighter) is the better deal.

Do most people book with RCCL direct or choose to use one of the mega travel booking agencies? Their website is really frustrating me :mad:

Gratuities $324. For 12 days sounds way to high.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$13.50/day-person x 12 days x 2 persons = $324

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not think about second person. I sail solo 90% of the time. So I only pay for one. Thanks for the correction. [emoji3]

I did not think about second person. I sail solo 90% of the time. So I only pay for one. Thanks for the correction. [emoji3]

I sail solo some of the time and definitely prefer that mathematical outcome for gratuities as well. I knew the $324 was in line because we have to pay for three people on my May 12-day cruise. I would be thrilled with $324! ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you book on board and later transfer it to the TA, you can likely get whatever promotion they are offering at the time of transfer. You should get to keep your on board booking bonus from Royal. Note that you have 60 days to execute the transfer.

You likely will not be able to update your balcony discount when your C&A level changes without them re-pricing your cruise to whatever the rate is at the time you update status.