Question about Chair hogs.

es0

I...can't...stand....selfish people and that's what chair hogs are...selfish! My lovely reserved wife had no hesitation politely complaining to the Carnival staff about the big-fat-inbred-sociopathic-chair-hogs. Lol

We've been once on Princess and Carnival, and will be on Allure April 30. One thing I loved about Princess was their version of the "Solarium". Yea it cost a little money, but I loved it (for the shade particularly) and no chair hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, we are a family of 3 adults. On our cruise there is one full sea day. For this day we would like to be at the pool all day. I don't think i would bag three chairs and then disappear to breakfast and be gone for any length of time during the day. I think one of us would always stay with the chairs. We would pop to the bar or grab lunch to eat by the pool in turns. Is this considered acceptable?

Ahhh....the chair hog thread continues to oink on....as usual. ;p

One thing pax seem to forget....you don't own those chairs, RCI does. You are only using them and the best way to "reserve" your chair is to have your butt in it. ;)

A true reserved chair for the length of your cruise is sitting on your balcony. :cool:

Ahhh....the chair hog thread continues to oink on....as usual. ;p

One thing pax seem to forget....you don't own those chairs, RCI does. You are only using them and the best way to "reserve" your chair is to have your butt in it. ;)

A true reserved chair for the length of your cruise is sitting on your balcony. :cool:

Well that's true but maybe we can't all afford a balcony. This is a special holiday for us and we would like to enjoy it. That doesn't mean hogging a chair that we aren't going to use but it does mean having a chair to sit on by the pool for most of one day out of a 7 night cruise. It was a serious question.

So, we are a family of 3 adults. On our cruise there is one full sea day. For this day we would like to be at the pool all day. I don't think i would bag three chairs and then disappear to breakfast and be gone for any length of time during the day. I think one of us would always stay with the chairs. We would pop to the bar or grab lunch to eat by the pool in turns. Is this considered acceptable?

I'd say yes, because you're using those chairs. It doesn't matter if you're in them 24 hours as long as you're there! What people object to is when a chair is "reserved" for hours and hours on end with no one actually present. :)

I'd say yes, because you're using those chairs. It doesn't matter if you're in them 24 hours as long as you're there! What people object to is when a chair is "reserved" for hours and hours on end with no one actually present. :)

That's what I thought. Thanks :)

Well that's true but maybe we can't all afford a balcony. This is a special holiday for us and we would like to enjoy it. That doesn't mean hogging a chair that we aren't going to use but it does mean having a chair to sit on by the pool for most of one day out of a 7 night cruise. It was a serious question.

Then you by all means should feel happy that I never use a chair by the pool! I bequeath

that one that I could have used, (but don't) ....to you alone...enjoy! ;)

The problem is not with the person who comes to the pool and sits in the lounge chair and reads all day or eats all day or what ever they do in the lounge chair

It's the inconsiderate SOB who comes down at 7am lays out towels and books on Lounge Chair and goes back to the cabin to later appear 3 hrs later. That is the problem

Cruise lines are well aware of this ongoing problem. The problem they face is they don't want to offend a guest over the use of a Lounge Chair.

But wait I'm offend they aren't doing anything about the so call saving of seats. Where is my justice?

I'll continue to get up when I want and pray for a Lounge Chair where I want to sit and I'll plop my butt down and use the chair until I'm good and ready to leave.

Jus Saying

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The problem is not with the person who comes to the pool and sits in the lounge chair and reads all day or eats all day or what ever they do in the lounge chair

It's the inconsiderate SOB who comes down at 7am lays out towels and books on Lounge Chair and goes back to the cabin to later appear 3 hrs later. That is the problem

Cruise lines are well aware of this ongoing problem. The problem they face is they don't want to offend a guest over the use of a Lounge Chair.

But wait I'm offend they aren't doing anything about the so call saving of seats. Where is my justice?

I'll continue to get up when I want and pray for a Lounge Chair where I want to sit and I'll plop my butt down and use the chair until I'm good and ready to leave.

Jus Saying

Sent from my iPad using Forums

(y)(y)

Just off Allure. There were plenty of open loungers, but NOT in the Solarium. I hate the blaring music at the other pools, so I arrived at the Solarium on sea days around 9:30 and NO empty loungers. There were probably 20 people in there, but 60 chairs with towels, flip flops, etc.

One creative person took a towel and used it to "tie" the arm of two loungers together...classic chair hog.

I asked the pool attendant to remove the towel, and he was reluctant. "They might be getting something to eat," he said. Um, right. That day we found other chairs and I sat and read for two hours- those towel-knot chairs remained untouched.

The next day two chairs were reserved (one with towel, one with Pepsi tshirt that looked like a rag). I picked up the shirt and towel, brought it to the pool attendant and told him someone left it behind, and plopped my butt down with my son. We were there for probably 3 hours and the "owners" never came by.

Gotta take matters into your own hands. It's very easy to spot a chair hog- people who are actually using their chairs have more stuff, or a wet pool butt-print, that sort of thing.

....The next day two chairs were reserved (one with towel, one with Pepsi tshirt that looked like a rag). I picked up the shirt and towel, brought it to the pool attendant and told him someone left it behind, and plopped my butt down with my son. We were there for probably 3 hours and the "owners" never came by......

Could it be possible in any of these insttances that the chair hog is no longer on the ship? I wonder if someone could leave a pile of old clothes, towels, books etc. and finish their cruise, but forget to retrieve their "stuff" they dutifully used to reserve the chairs. Maybe there are chairs that have been vacant for several cruises?

It would be funny (and sad) to tie an old t-shirt to a chair, debark from the cruise and return a year later to find my chair waiting for me with a well-weathered t-shiirt...

Could it be possible in any of these insttances that the chair hog is no longer on the ship? I wonder if someone could leave a pile of old clothes, towels, books etc. and finish their cruise, but forget to retrieve their "stuff" they dutifully used to reserve the chairs. Maybe there are chairs that have been vacant for several cruises?

It would be funny (and sad) to tie an old t-shirt to a chair, debark from the cruise and return a year later to find my chair waiting for me with a well-weathered t-shiirt...

I am quite literally laughing out loud at this reply!!!!! :'):')

They remove all towels and belongings every night.

Just off Allure. There were plenty of open loungers, but NOT in the Solarium. I hate the blaring music at the other pools, so I arrived at the Solarium on sea days around 9:30 and NO empty loungers. There were probably 20 people in there, but 60 chairs with towels, flip flops, etc.

One creative person took a towel and used it to "tie" the arm of two loungers together...classic chair hog.

I asked the pool attendant to remove the towel, and he was reluctant. "They might be getting something to eat," he said. Um, right. That day we found other chairs and I sat and read for two hours- those towel-knot chairs remained untouched.

The next day two chairs were reserved (one with towel, one with Pepsi tshirt that looked like a rag). I picked up the shirt and towel, brought it to the pool attendant and told him someone left it behind, and plopped my butt down with my son. We were there for probably 3 hours and the "owners" never came by.

Gotta take matters into your own hands. It's very easy to spot a chair hog- people who are actually using their chairs have more stuff, or a wet pool butt-print, that sort of thing.

A good idea might be to leave a cardboard time disc card on the sunbeds in the morning and when passengers leave their towels on the beds and leave the beds they register the time on the disc and if 1 hour later they have not returned they have forfeited the bed and either a passenger or crew member can legitimately remove the offending toewl.

43 cruises and counting.

This problem is not limited to cruise ships. A resort we frequent in Hawaii has a bad chair hog problem. People are out there before sunrise blocking off four, six or more chairs with towels and a token book on one or two of them. The resort used to semi-enforce the rule (60 minutes unoccupied) but they have since discontinued enforcement for some reason. Probably because it causes more complaints from the chair hogs losing their chairs than from people displaced by the chair hogs. First come first serve mentality.

So if we see a chair that has not been used in at least an hour we just move their stuff and take the chair somewhere else so when they return they won't even know where the chair went.

This problem is not limited to cruise ships. A resort we frequent in Hawaii has a bad chair hog problem. People are out there before sunrise blocking off four, six or more chairs with towels and a token book on one or two of them. The resort used to semi-enforce the rule (60 minutes unoccupied) but they have since discontinued enforcement for some reason. Probably because it causes more complaints from the chair hogs losing their chairs than from people displaced by the chair hogs. First come first serve mentality.

So if we see a chair that has not been used in at least an hour we just move their stuff and take the chair somewhere else so when they return they won't even know where the chair went.

This has happened in the Spanish costas and islands for as long as i can remember.

I regularly had to go to the pool area about 7.30 am along with many others just to get a sunbed.

43 cruises and counting.

We need a Chair Hog version of all the ideas in this link about inconsiderate parking jobs:

http://www.viralnova.com/bad-parking-job/

I kinda like the one where you outline the chair hogs chair with colored chalk, lots of arrows all pointing at the chair hog's throne, with some words of wisdom written in chalk beside those arrows, like one of the parking job pics in that link. Then belly up to the bar and wait for them to return.

I was recently on the Radiance and when I went up to get morning coffee for She Who Must Be Obeyed at the solarium cafe on a chilly wet morning, I noticed one fellow sitting in the middle of a row of 8 loungers, each with a chair hog nest. By his body language, he was on full alert, zealously guarding his row of "reserved" loungers. I went back about an hour later for more coffee and he was still guarding his row of chair hog nests. Around noon we sauntered through and there was a person in every lounger and he was still there, but now relaxed and reading a book.

I feel sorry for someone who gets up early on a vacation and sits there for hours just to "reserve" a row of chairs for friends and family. I have better things to do on my cruise vacation and better places to lounge than in a noisy and hot solarium or in the hot sun right next to the pool catching up on my skin cancer and losing my hearing due to an over-amplified pool band or movie.

My own private balcony serves her majesty and me very well.

I was recently on the Radiance and when I went up to get morning coffee for She Who Must Be Obeyed at the solarium cafe on a chilly wet morning, I noticed one fellow sitting in the middle of a row of 8 loungers, each with a chair hog nest. By his body language, he was on full alert, zealously guarding his row of "reserved" loungers. I went back about an hour later for more coffee and he was still guarding his row of chair hog nests. Around noon we sauntered through and there was a person in every lounger and he was still there, but now relaxed and reading a book.

I feel sorry for someone who gets up early on a vacation and sits there for hours just to "reserve" a row of chairs for friends and family. I have better things to do on my cruise vacation and better places to lounge than in a noisy and hot solarium or in the hot sun right next to the pool catching up on my skin cancer and losing my hearing due to an over-amplified pool band or movie.

My own private balcony serves her majesty and me very well.

We often sit on our balcony for the peace and quiet.

Chair hogs are everywhere and if anyone knows of anywhere they have solved this problem please post.

43 cruises and counting.