Blue Mountain Botanic Garden

I love walking through botanic gardens, and have found the Blue Mtn Botanic garden online, but their website says there is no public transportation. After our cruise in November we plan to spend 2-3 days in Katoomba (part of a week in Sidney area).

Does anyone know of a way to get from Katoomba to the gardens?

If the only way is by car can i get a rental in Katoomba? do I need to reserve in advance? any recommendations for a rental car company?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

kathy

goingplaces@juno.com

I think a rental would be your only viable option.

All the normal rental agencies are in Katoomba, but Penrith may be a better jump off Point.

Booking isn't normally essential, but if it's real important to you to get there, better safe than sorry.

Yes, you will need to hire a car.

Whilst you are visiting the Botanic Gardens at Mt Tomah, I recommend that you also visit a couple of the beautiful gardens at Mt. Wilson (take your own picnic).

mtwilson.com.au

I love walking through botanic gardens, and have found the Blue Mtn Botanic garden online, but their website says there is no public transportation. After our cruise in November we plan to spend 2-3 days in Katoomba (part of a week in Sidney area).

Does anyone know of a way to get from Katoomba to the gardens?

If the only way is by car can i get a rental in Katoomba? do I need to reserve in advance? any recommendations for a rental car company?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

kathy

goingplaces@juno.com

just to add some further info from the others....

There are some car rentals at Penrith (which is at the bottom of the mountains - last 'part' of Sydney) - it's about 1hr on the train out west.

There is Thrifty / Avis - they are a short walk from the train station - near a Westfield Mall (Penrith Plaza). From Penrith - it's about 50mins drive up to Katoomba (oh and mind the various SPEED zones on the way there !!!!). You would need to book for those rental places !

https://www.thrifty.com.au/car-hire/nsw/penrith.aspx

https://www.avis.com.au/car-rental/avisHome/home.ac

If you haven't driven on Australian roads... then .....you might get a little shocked driving around that area... shocked in terms of tight one way streets, mall like conditions, TRAFFIC....IDIOT DRIVERS :)

Do note that the botanic garden that you wish to visit isn't on 'crash hot' road (Bells Line Road) - it will be single lane, windy, possibly a bit rough on the edges. No freeways up there in the Blue Mountains... nothing like what the US has.

it is a lovely garden, I am biased because my daughter got married there.....

beautiful views, lovely cool climate plants. lovely drive to get there through the beautiful Blue Mountains. if you hire a car, not only will it enable you to get to Mt Tomah for the gardens but also to many other beautiful spots in the mountains.

cheers

Belinda

thanks to all for the helpful replies!!

I have driven in a few other countries - Ireland comes to mind for single, narrow lanes, and driving on the "other" side of the road. And no where has crazier drivers than home!

Driving in Australia is much easier than driving in Ireland. :D

It's a beautiful area, to me much nicer than the Katoomba side, but I am biased, I Drive this road at least twice a week.

When you come through take the time to stop at Pearces Pass. It will be on your right as you are heading towards Mt Tomah, the cliffs there are glorious.

Not far east of the turn off to Mt Wilson

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Pierces+Pass+Picnic+Area,+Pierces+Pass+Rd,+Blue+Mountains+National+Park+NSW+2570/@-33.5702203,150.3381465,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b1276de70ae2611:0x6413ec3e30dc0dbe?hl=en-au