Hotel in London

The Conrad is very nice and in a great location. Not cheap, though- London isn't cheap.

There are several threads here on where to stay in London. Some looking around would be beneficial.

Thanks. I have been reading through the other threads as well. I'll check out the Conrad.

For small rooms but PERFECT location take a look at the Cavendish onJermyn Street.

For larger rooms and suites still in excellent locations check out Radisson Edwardian BLU for very good 4 and 5 star hotels. Do not think US Radissons which we find to be poor with few exceptions of Blu.

We always, 43 stays, stay in Covent Garden Mayfair, Soho areas for their great hotels, restaurants and transportation. Our major interests are no longer tourist sights but rather theatres, concerts and museums.

I stayed at the Amba Charing Cross last June and will return this summer, before a cruise. The hotel and it's services are excellent with, for European hotels, a nicely-sized room. Pleasant bar and good restaurant, too.

But, most important is the location! It couldn't be better. An easy stroll to Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben, etc. Next to Charing Cross train station and near the tube. The Thames is down the street and there is a HoHo bus stop nearby. You are no more than a couple of blocks from the West End theaters. If, however, you want a neighborhood with tons of upscale shopping, don't stay here.

I've stayed at quite a few different areas of London and I agree that the Amba Hotel by Charing Cross is a good location. The prices seem really reasonable for London too. The Amba Hotel is a good choice IMO due to it's proximity to Trafalgar Square, St. Martins-in-the-Field and the Charing Cross train station. There's a lot close by that you can walk to and you have a variety of tube/train stations too.

Would like to jump on board here. TA has us booked at H10 Waterloo......good choice or not....Thanks

It's a pretty newly built hotel, which gets reasonable reviews. As so often with London hotel names, it's not really in Waterloo as you might think of it - it is the other end of Waterloo Road to the station and the river, actually right on St George's Circus, a pretty busy traffic junction. I see the hotel claims 5 minutes walk to Waterloo station - that's probably true, but at a brisk pace :)

There is likely to be little of note in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, although it is years since I knew that area well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Cotswold.

Even if the 5 minutes is actually 15 or so, not a problem. My son and I run and walk quite a bit, even in the snow here. Will most likely walk most of our touring with the exception of the HOHO bus first day to get bearings. Also, we will be there in August.

We will be staying at the Montague Gardens after a cruise. It's near Russell Square. Can you share comments about the hotel and the area? Thanks!

I haven't been inside but it looks good from the outside.

It's a nice quiet road just round the corner from the British Museum, as well as Russell Square which is very nice, if a bit busy. It's not immediately next to many other tourist spots or attractions, but you're close to a number of tube stops so will be able to get around quite easily. Good choice.

Since folks are asking opinions of hotels and location I will take advantage and ask about the hotel I have booked. It is the Raddison Blu Edwardian Mercer. I believe it is close to Covent Garden.

It's a lovely hotel in a great area with VERY SMALL rooms.

If that does not bother you you will love it. If you are not already a member, join the Carlson Club on which you can accumulate points for free nights.

It's a lovely hotel in a great area with VERY SMALL rooms.

If that does not bother you you will love it. If you are not already a member, join the Carlson Club on which you can accumulate points for free nights.

Since I will be only one person in the room and don't intend to be in it that much I was thinking a small room would be okay. And I am very used to cruise ship size rooms. I picked it because the location looked good. I did join the Carlson Club before I booked since they offered a members only discount.

Since I will be only one person in the room and don't intend to be in it that much I was thinking a small room would be okay. And I am very used to cruise ship size rooms. I picked it because the location looked good. I did join the Carlson Club before I booked since they offered a members only discount.

Sounds like a good choice for you. Enjoy your stay.

We will be staying at the Montague Gardens after a cruise. It's near Russell Square. Can you share comments about the hotel and the area? Thanks!

I haven't stayed here, but have walked past many times and know the surrounding area very well. The location is excellent (in the heart of Bloomsbury--just 30 seconds from Russell Square, and a minute's walk from the entrance of the British Museum). From what I've read, the hotel consistently receives exceptionally positive reviews. If I weren't such a cheapskate, I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

BTW, the name is The Montague on the Gardens.

Thanks, Post Captain! We plan on spending a significant amount of time at the Museum, and that was the main reason why we selected the hotel. We will only have three whole days in London, which will, of course, only leave us an appetite to be back. Now, I've forgotten to ask about restaurants in the area... Could you recommend some?

Using the Transport for London site I found that from H10 to Waterloo Station/Tenison is 12 minutes. It also claims from H10 to Big Ben is 25 minutes. Both at an average walking pace. Sound reasonable?

We alway stay at 51 Buckingham Gate which is a Taj hotel located near the back gate of Buckingham Palace. The rooms are actually apartments with full kitchens, laundry, elegant decor and very experienced Clef D'or concierges. It's well located to the Underground, theatres and there's a wonderful casual restauarant across the street as well as a phenomenal Indian restaurant on the hotel property.

Using the Transport for London site I found that from H10 to Waterloo Station/Tenison is 12 minutes. It also claims from H10 to Big Ben is 25 minutes. Both at an average walking pace. Sound reasonable?
Yes, both of those are "less alternative" estimates - I'd be happy with them.

If you walk up to Waterloo station, you don't need to get as far as Tenison Way. Almost as soon as you reach the beginning of the station building there should be an entrance that takes you to escalators that go up to the mainline station. Shortly after that is the entrance to the Jubilee Line part of the Tube station.

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed at The Hilton on Park Lane ( right across from Hyde Park) and The Kensington Hotel in South Kensington. I far preferred the Kensington as far as location. So close to many nice restaurants, the Underground and to Museum Row. As the museums are all free and warrant real exploration, I loved being able to pop in and out easily. The V&A is just amazing.

I also loved the Kensington's decor...just try to get one of the bigger rooms, as some are quite small ( all are different).

The Hilton is very nice for Buckingham Palace, the parks etc...but I loved the South Kensington neighborhood.

https://www.doylecollection.com/hotels/the-kensington-hotel