Free Business Class Air

Regent advertises for the 2017 season "free business class air" in all suites categories. However, the fine print states "on most intercontinental flights".

What is everyone's experience when you ask Regent to make the air reservation for destinations in far away countries?

Do you get economy on the intra-US and international flight segments within the same continent? And only business class on the flight leg between continents?

Within the U.S. you would fly coach unless you are continuing overseas on the same airline. We have always had Business Class on intra-European flights.

Strongly suggest that you work with a TA that regularly books luxury cruises ... specifically Regent rather than booking directly with Regent. TA's are a wealth of information and there are benefits that they offer that are not offered when you book Regent directly.

Edited by Travelcat2

Within the U.S. you would fly coach unless you are continuing overseas on the same airline. We have always had Business Class on intra-European flights.

Strongly suggest that you work with a TA that regularly books luxury cruises ... specifically Regent rather than booking directly with Regent. TA's are a wealth of information and there are benefits that they offer that are not offered when you book Regent directly.

This is excellent advice.

• 1 month later...

Ahh - that would explain my confusion. I live in the UK and the website said free Business European flights. To you in the US European is what I would call trans continental. whereas I queried it with my TA thinking it sounded like just within Europe (flying home to London).

Ahh - that would explain my confusion. I live in the UK and the website said free Business European flights. To you in the US European is what I would call trans continental. whereas I queried it with my TA thinking it sounded like just within Europe (flying home to London).

Regent air arrangements (and pricing) for those booking in the UK differs significantly from those guests booking in the US

We recently booked a cruise with Regent and they gave us business class the whole way, AZ to Italy and return. I even requested certain flights and was given those flights.

Assumed that you paid a deviation fee I order to select your flights. IMO, it is worth the deviation fee in in order to select your airline and flight 270 days in advance.

We have had some great flights (always deviate) on excellent airlines using Regent air. If a stop in the U.S. is necessary (we try to avoid stops in the U.S.) we make sure that we are continuing overseas on the same airline. Generally we get first class domestically and business class international.

Using Regent's "free business class intercontinental air" from the US is a little confusing and complex to me. For example, in 2015 we took the Mariner on a very unusual itinerary. It was Tahiti to Lima Peru. From our "gateway city", Denver, we were booked on United in economy to LA. From LA to Tahiti, we were in business class on Air Tahiti Nui (a fantastic airline I might add). But from Lima to Denver, we were on a non-stop Delta flight to Denver and it was business class all the way.

The only problem was that we learned that there was no way to upgrade the initial leg from Denver to LA to business class. It seems you can't do that with points or with great piles of cash for tickets booked by cruise lines. Just something I think Regent cruisers should understand, unless they like spending a number of hours in economy accomodations of US airlines. I suspect few Regent guests do.

Using Regent's "free business class intercontinental air" from the US is a little confusing and complex to me. For example, in 2015 we took the Mariner on a very unusual itinerary. It was Tahiti to Lima Peru. From our "gateway city", Denver, we were booked on United in economy to LA. From LA to Tahiti, we were in business class on Air Tahiti Nui (a fantastic airline I might add). But from Lima to Denver, we were on a non-stop Delta flight to Denver and it was business class all the way.

The only problem was that we learned that there was no way to upgrade the initial leg from Denver to LA to business class. It seems you can't do that with points or with great piles of cash for tickets booked by cruise lines. Just something I think Regent cruisers should understand, unless they like spending a number of hours in economy accomodations of US airlines. I suspect few Regent guests do.

I think that you and I have posted about this before. There is no reason that I am aware of that you should not have been able to pay for an upgrade from Denver to L.A. We fairly recently paid $3,200 for an upgrade (round-trip Miami). After checking flights out on Yapta, we realized that the First Class round-trip fare runs only around $2,200 so we will be cancelling the Regent flights.

Had your flight to Tahiti been on the same airline (from Denver to L.A. and then on to Tahiti), you would have had first class to L.A. and class to Tahiti (rather a poor example since there are so few flights from L.A. to Tahiti and I'm not sure if any of them are based in the U.S.). In general, you get first class domestically and business class internationally when both flights are on the same airline.

Travelcat2,

United airlines absolutely would not let us upgrade from Regent's booked economy class to business/first. Not for any amount of money or any number of points. They did let us upgrade to economy+ with increased leg room, so the flight was bearable, if not enjoyable. Yes, I posted about that a couple of years ago, I believe. And we must consider that, according to recent news stories, United is not the best domestic US airline and possibly the worst of the majors. So had we been on another (better?) airline, the result might have been different.

Just something I think Regent cruisers should understand, unless they like spending a number of hours in economy accomodations of US airlines. I suspect few Regent guests do.

Hey, I resent (resemble) that remark. Spent 17.5 hours in coach on Delta from Jo'burg to Atlanta; not a problem at all. We choose coach versus business each trip based on miles availability, cost, and time of day. For example, we will fly coach Atlanta to Lima (only 6.5 hours during the evening) but will fly business BA to Atlanta (overnight flight). We also are more likely to fly coach leaving USA (when airline status gets us the perks) versus overseas when we want perks of business class at check in and at the airport.

I just think a blanket statement saying Regent cruisers don't like coach is a bit overboard; even for babe ruth.

Marc

And I feel that it is fair to say that most Regent customers prefer Business Class or higher which is likely why Regent now includes Business Class on international flights. They needed to meet the demands of "most" of their customers. Also keep in mind some people cannot physically tolerate sitting in cramped seats for long periods of time.

And I feel that it is fair to say that most Regent customers prefer Business Class or higher which is likely why Regent now includes Business Class on international flights. They needed to meet the demands of "most" of their customers. Also keep in mind some people cannot physically tolerate sitting in cramped seats for long periods of time.

I think it is fair to say most ANYONE would prefer Business Class. It is the only reason we chose this cruise as my wife hates flying (only been cramped u[p in economy before). She is still VERY nervous but willing to give it a go as she loves the itinerary of this cruise.

Basically I'm kinda agreeing with what you said - especially the last bit.

In the past Regent gave passengers the option of 1) no air (i.e., take the credit); 2) coach; or 3) pay for upgrade to business (or book PH and above in Europe). Now, Regent only gives the option of 1) no air (i.e., take the credit) or 2) business. There is no option on Regent of just having coach air included. So, please tell me, where is the benefit for the passengers? We went from three choices to two choices. TANSTAAFL - the air isn't free; it is "included."

Marc

In the past Regent gave passengers the option of 1) no air (i.e., take the credit); 2) coach; or 3) pay for upgrade to business (or book PH and above in Europe). Now, Regent only gives the option of 1) no air (i.e., take the credit) or 2) business. There is no option on Regent of just having coach air included. So, please tell me, where is the benefit for the passengers? We went from three choices to two choices. TANSTAAFL - the air isn't free; it is "included."

Marc

In Europe it is coach below PH and Business/return above - not sure of the credit option.

Marq,

Keep in mind that I said MOST Regent guests would not like a flight of any length in economy. But "MOST" means that some do. If I were 5'2" tall and 110 lbs. and 25 years old I might not mind it. But I am not. So more than an hour in economy and my body is aching. I used to be pertty much fine with it, but the airlines have shrunk passenger space in economy, and now I'm not. I do agree with the post that stated that Regent's guests should be given the choice of economy instead of business and given a fare reduction for that choice. Giving people is never bad.

Marc - Regent is meeting the desires of "most" but not all customers. In "most" cases, the air credit would enough for you to purchase coach seats on your own,

PinkMEB: If you book your own air your fare will be less because of the air credit. We will be talking a $12,000 air credit (for both of us) for a cruise next year. We will be booking flights on our own for a bit less money. On the other hand, we took a $1,600 air credit for both of us and the fights will cost about $2,200. The big difference is that the $1,600 air credit was for coach flights within the U.S. while the flights we will be booking are first class. (Obviously, even if someone did not mind flying coach, it might be a good idea to take the credit as you could easily get two coach fares pretty much anywhere in the continental U.S. for $1,600). It always helps to check the airline fares before making a decision.

In our recent case, the fare credit for not using Regent's air from Denver to Miami and back was quite a bit less than the cost of this round trip economy fare when booked from the same airline. We checked even though we booked business/first at a higher price. But it appears from the posts above that Regent's "no-air credit policy" is not uniform. We were told by United that cruise lines book their tickets from them under a non-upgradable classification that is cheaper than what is available to the public. Of course, I don't know how much information from United is true, and how much is made up on the spot.

But, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the airlines reverted back to the same seating and configuration for economy that they used in like 1978, which they should do (or be required to do) as we find the present situation to be dangerous as well as uncomfortable. But this is not a situation created or controlled by Regent.

We were told by United that cruise lines book their tickets from them under a non-upgradable classification that is cheaper than what is available to the public. Of course, I don't know how much information from United is true, and how much is made up on the spot.

True. Cruiselines use bulk ticketing, done through contracted rates that are different than those available direct to the public. This includes fare rules that often have significant restrictions, including about upgrades, rerouting, endorsements to other carriers and other areas.

But, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the airlines reverted back to the same seating and configuration for economy that they used in like 1978, which they should do (or be required to do) as we find the present situation to be dangerous as well as uncomfortable. But this is not a situation created or controlled by Regent.

And just what do you want? Few people realize that the cabin diameter of a 737 is the same as for the 707. Both with 3-3 seating. Seat pitch is a bit less, but still better than many other carriers, including British Airways Club Europe.

Do you want to return to the regulated days of the CAB? Who's to do this "required to do" regulation? Do you want to also return to the restricted routings and regulated fares?

The travelling public voted with their dollars that they wanted lower prices and were willing to accept a lesser product in the process. Econ 101.

In Europe it is coach below PH and Business/return above - not sure of the credit option.

Air arrangements when booking in the UK:

• Regent(UK) cruise pricing generally includes Economy (Coach) air and transfers
  • PH Suites and above include Business air when the cruise begins/ends in Europe or is a "special"
  • An air credit can be taken if making your own arrangements for flights & transfers
  • Regent(UK) will quote for Premium Economy, Business and First Class upgrades. In our experience their upgrade pricing is reasonable value