Vietnam and Cambodia

azmimi

The only person that can answer this for you and your personal situation is the doctor at your local travel clinic (or maybe even your primary care physician.

My husband and I were encouraged to get Hep A/B and Typhoid (which we took orally). Tetanus should be up to date, of course. Malaria meds will potentially be recommended based on the specific areas you're visiting and your risk tolerance, but aren't required for the heavily touristed areas.

We were also prescribed some antibiotics for potential stomach bugs, and I'm glad I had them.

The CDC says that for both Vietnam and Cambodia, most travellers should have Hepatitis A and Typhoid shots, some should have Hepatitis B shot and malaria medication. I am going at the end of October. I'll go to the travel medical clinic about 2 months before I leave. I had Hep A and B shots (series of 3 shots in 2013 and early 2014) and Typhoid shot in 2013, so I think I'm OK with that, but I probably need malaria medication.

Also, the latest news on Zika is that it can be debilitating not just to pregnant women, so you will need good mosquito protection with DEET or picaridin.

The CDC says that for both Vietnam and Cambodia, most travellers should have Hepatitis A and Typhoid shots, some should have Hepatitis B shot and malaria medication. I am going at the end of October. I'll go to the travel medical clinic about 2 months before I leave. I had Hep A and B shots (series of 3 shots in 2013 and early 2014) and Typhoid shot in 2013, so I think I'm OK with that, but I probably need malaria medication.

Also, the latest news on Zika is that it can be debilitating not just to pregnant women, so you will need good mosquito protection with DEET or picaridin.

we sailed in February 2011, and although I put on insect repellant for Angor Wat parks, Cu Chi Tunnels, etc I did not see one mosquito and also did not get bitten (and I attract mosquitoes like crazy, get huge welts, even WITH repellant on.)

we sailed in February 2011, and although I put on insect repellant for Angor Wat parks, Cu Chi Tunnels, etc I did not see one mosquito and also did not get bitten (and I attract mosquitoes like crazy, get huge welts, even WITH repellant on.)

Good to know. I'll bring it anyway.

I would say the insect repellent is definitely needed. In December I used it religiously except for about a 15 minute period on deck on the Mekong before dinner. In that time I got bites on my wrists and ankles, which swelled up and itched for over a week. Must be something special with those skeeters. ;)

I would say the insect repellent is definitely needed. In December I used it religiously except for about a 15 minute period on deck on the Mekong before dinner. In that time I got bites on my wrists and ankles, which swelled up and itched for over a week. Must be something special with those skeeters. ;)

I agree..just got back few weeks ago and the few bites I got left bigger welts and they itched for a lot longer than our Canadian mosquitos! Thought it was just me!

Didn't see too many but they are there for sure. Go prepared with some repellent.

• 3 months later...

We just booked our river cruise on the Mekong and our travel agent recommended we talk to our local health department's traveling nurse. She recommended getting the basics everyone else says. I believe it will be around $200 pp for us to get the basic shots. But check early because some you need to get months in advanced.

Whatnot, start investigating what you need (with your doctor) now. You have time now to arrange for what you need in a relaxed fashion without rushing it. Don't wait until a few weeks before, as it might be challenging to get things done at the last minute, unless you've had some of this before for other trips.

If you are taking malaria prophylaxis and have never taken it before, you may also want to try a few doses at home to make sure that the side effects are not bad (depending on which one you choose).

Ewizabeff is right though; none of us can answer specifically for you. But for example:

The Hepatitis B vaccine is a series that is ideally given as three injections over a 6-month period. If you need that, you should start now.

Hep A, on the other hand, is a single injection that works fairly quickly so that can be given on your way out the door if you're young and healthy, though 2 weeks ahead of time is safer. Some recommend a second dose a year later.

Typhoid can be injectable (lasts 2-3 years only, gnome12, so you may need another one, sorry), or an oral series where you take 4 doses over a week. The oral vaccine lasts 5 years.

So you can see this is complicated. Get in to see a doctor if you want to get any of these vaccines started.

adding to JP and Elizabeth...when you are at your doctor's office, may want to feel out his ideas on what to take in regards to traveler's diarrhea ...

pepto...? antibiotics? nothing?...everything?

just a thought...

Rick

Edited by eyeu
add something

I had all shots for a previous trip. Did not take malaria prophylaxis, but walked in a cloud of DEET mosquito repellent at the Cu Chi tunnels where we saw lots of mosquitos. I also saw mosquitos at dusk on the Mekong. I figured with Dengue around, I better keep mossies away from me. This strategy worked.

I take Imodium in case of diarrhea, no antibiotics. I don't eat street food in tropical countries and brush my teeth with bottled water whenever the water supply is questionable. In addition to our prescription medication, I bring a small supply of over the counter medication for colds, cuts, motion sickness and ginger tablets for mild stomach queasiness. My husband and I have needed one or the other on several trips. I also carry disinfectant hand wipes which work better than gels because I can actually wipe dirt off my hands when washing with soaps is not available.

I eat street foods everywhere (making as "smart" a choice as I can in terms of visiting places that are crowded with locals, turnover is high/fast, etc) and only once in 25 years of doing so have had to take Cipro [antibiotic] and ironically - that was in Shanghai and I had NOT eaten any street food yet. So you never know. I'm always prepared...