Newbie Norwegian Cruiser Questions

Hello. We are wanting to book our first NCL cruise on the Norwegian Bliss. Actually, I was supposed to book it tonight but instead I have been reading the boards trying to figure out answers to my questions. I finally have decided to just ask the experts (that would be you). We have never been on a ship this size! I hope it's ok that I just number my questions... :)

1). We want an interior cabin and I have no idea which one to book. What do you think is the best deck for a midship cabin thats near the stairs and elevator? I know the ship hasn't been built yet but I'm hoping some of you have sailed on another ship in this class and may possibly know what the deck plans could be like.

2). Free at Sea Promo - We really don't drink much alcohol and are wondering if their ultimate drink package might include nonalcoholic drinks, smoothies and specialty coffee. I did read that bottled water is not included.

3). If we choose the specialty dining package instead do you know if it is hard get reservations? What are your favorite specialty restaurants?

4). I know we all have different tastes but how would you rate the complementary dining on NCL ships?

Thank you in advance for your help. I guess the most important question is #1 since I need to book our cruise, lol.

1) I try to avoid ones by the stairs as they're a little louder. Think generally higher ones are better as they're closer to the action. Pick the middle if you get sea sick!

2) Yess they include smoothies, everything really. The bar staff are normally quite happy to make you anything you like, lots of virgin cocktails too! No bottled water you're right. I really enjoyed he package, got lots of photos of my favourite drinks and the review here... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/10/ncls-unlimited-beverage-package/ hope that's of use to you :)

3) I've never had any trouble getting reservations! Keep seeing people moaning about it recently though...

4) I think it's great! I love ncl though so I'm a bit bias. Loads of variety and bigger portions than on some of the posher cruise lines..

I hope you enjoy ncl! I'm sure you will, I've been on 9 ncl cruises and keep coming back :-) here are the tips I'd give to a first time ncl cruiser: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding getting restaurant reservations, it is not even remotely hard to get reservations. Just book fairly soon online after they open up, or soon after boarding.

If you leave it until later on during the cruise to try to reserve them then you may have trouble, as it is likely that all the reservations will be taken.

We do the opposite. We look for cabins near to the stairs and elevators instead of walking up and down the aisles. Never had any problem with noise.:)

I like the walk :-)

Coffees are not included on UBP. I don't think you need to be a heavy drinker for this to be of value-- 1 drink a day and you're covered.

I also had one day on my last cruise that was fairly rocky-- I had no alcohol until dinner and spent the day drinking ginger ale.

1-cabin location: we prefer to be near the elevators and stairs. Only once have we had much noise; that was when we had a family down the hall with about 4 kids and it was thankgiving time. Even then it wasn't a bother at all. If you enjoy walking book futher away. We have reached a point in our lives where walking a long way can be a pain in the, well I guess the leg. :)

2-drink package: no coffee but yes, soft drinks, this is a personal matter. I have to say, if you are going to have more than 1 drink a day, it is still worth it.

3- reservations and quality of food: getting reservations for the exact time you want, after you board is getting more difficult, but if you are not particular about time, no problem. We book on line before cruising and then re-schedule after we board if we want to change times. MDR food is good to very good recently, but still no comparison to the special dining rooms. Favorite specialty dining: le Bistro, Modernos if you want a great salad bar and like meat and Cagney's.

Can't help you with which inside to book... we don't worry too much about where we are front to back - just try to get a deck near the middle height- wise. Our last cruise was on the jade; it had 13 decks and we stayed on deck 9 which was about perfect. Could take the stairs up 3 flights to the pool and buffet or down 2-3 flights for the theater and restaurants.

2. Assuming you are not in the U.K.; so be aware that if you pick the UBP or the dining promo that you will have to pay a service charge on it. For UBP it comes out to around $14 pp pd. So, it really depends on what you mean by you don't drink much. If you won't have a drink a day, I'd prob pass. It includes virgin cocktails and sodas but not specialty coffee or bottled water. I don't know if any of the ships have actual 'smoothies'.

If you do the dining def book your reservations in advance. There's no prob getting reservations around the 90 day out mark or on the first day on the ship. But if you wait until the morning you'd like to eat at the specialty you may be out of luck.

We thought the MDRs were fine. I really loved all the apps and the entrees were sometimes really good and sometimes just ok. We thought the food was better in the specialties but the service was bad.

are you intending to do Alaska on Bliss or one of the other itineraries?

if its alaska, bear in mind that this ship is too large to go into Glacier Bay, which IMO, is a must. You will still see alot of awesome sights in alaska sans glacier bay, but if this is a once in a lifetime trip, would pick a smaller ship that goes there.

Regarding the UBP, if you aren't a big drinker of alcohol, you may be better off skipping the offer of a "free" Ultimate Beverage Package, where you will pay an 18% service charge on the value; and in it's place buy the soda plan, which along with it's service charge will cost about 60% of the "free" UBP.

Hi there! Excellent choice for your cruise! I'm hoping to be on the Bliss when it's available too!

I always get the UBP, but since the specialty coffees are not included in your UBP, here's my insider coffee sister secret: I drink a LOT of coffee. Like, probably more than I should, and I like good coffee. The coffee NCL uses is pretty meh. If you're not too sensitive to acid, it does the job. If you are, however, things can go south really, really fast, and not in a good way. Actually, the last time we sailed, it was as if the quality of the coffee had gone down even more. I like to bring those small packets of Starbucks coffee with me, typically put it in my carry-on. The ones that look like little sugar packets. I grab a few 8-packs for some variety, and they actually do a great job with their Via coffee line. If you like coffee, you can just bring the packets with you to where they've got a hot water dispenser (tea station, etc.). Et voila, you've got wonderful tasting coffee!

Hello. We are wanting to book our first NCL cruise on the Norwegian Bliss. Actually, I was supposed to book it tonight but instead I have been reading the boards trying to figure out answers to my questions. I finally have decided to just ask the experts (that would be you). We have never been on a ship this size! I hope it's ok that I just number my questions... :)

1). We want an interior cabin and I have no idea which one to book. What do you think is the best deck for a midship cabin thats near the stairs and elevator? I know the ship hasn't been built yet but I'm hoping some of you have sailed on another ship in this class and may possibly know what the deck plans could be like.

2). Free at Sea Promo - We really don't drink much alcohol and are wondering if their ultimate drink package might include nonalcoholic drinks, smoothies and specialty coffee. I did read that bottled water is not included.

3). If we choose the specialty dining package instead do you know if it is hard get reservations? What are your favorite specialty restaurants?

4). I know we all have different tastes but how would you rate the complementary dining on NCL ships?

Thank you in advance for your help. I guess the most important question is #1 since I need to book our cruise, lol.

Should be most like the ESCAPE.

already answered by a few.

IConcierge app load it before hand and you can hook up to the ships WIFI in port before boarding, there should be touch screens throughout the ship you can also make reservations on. You can also make reservations on your TV in your stateroom. That being said anything you just have to have book online as soon as you can (they do save spots for ship board bookings.

Moderno, Cagnies, and Teppanyaki are a couple of my favorites. Food republic was very good on the Escape also.

Like a good land restaurants, not a great land restaurants

Thank you all for your helpful replies. We are booked in an inside cabin that is midship. We will see how nice the area really is once they release the deck plans.

We went with the UDP and I will order a soda package but I'm not sure about my friend. Now, I just need to figure out how that works. I have been reading reviews but it's a little confusing with the à la cart pricing at some restaurants. I'm also trying to figure out what complementary dining is available on the ship.

We will be going on the Pacific coastal. We will only be back from our round-trip LA to Alaska, Princess cruise for one week before we board the Bliss. Our Princess cruise includes Glacier Bay. Our cruises are a bit close together but we couldn't pass this one up .

Thanks again! If you have any other suggestions for me please feel free to share.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

I hope you enjoy ncl! I'm sure you will, I've been on 9 ncl cruises and keep coming back :-) here are the tips I'd give to a first time ncl cruiser: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

Hope that helps :)

This is great. Thanks! :)

Regarding the UBP, if you aren't a big drinker of alcohol, you may be better off skipping the offer of a "free" Ultimate Beverage Package, where you will pay an 18% service charge on the value; and in it's place buy the soda plan, which along with it's service charge will cost about 60% of the "free" UBP.

This is exactly what I did. Thanks!

We went with the UDP and I will order a soda package but I'm not sure about my friend. Now, I just need to figure out how that works. I have been reading reviews but it's a little confusing with the à la cart pricing at some restaurants. I'm also trying to figure out what complementary dining is available on the ship.

I don't know specifically what is going to be on the bliss. On the jade there were 2 main dining rooms, blue lagoon (most ships have o'sheehans instead) and jasmine garden that were complimentary. For the dining package - cagney's, Le bistro, la cucina, teppanyaki, and moderno are included for free. At the a la cartes you can have 1 main and as much of everything else for free. Other specialty dining options incur an upcharge to use your dining credit.

If looking at restaurants then the Escape is probably the best ship to look at for a guide.

I'm sure there will be some differences, but the Bliss will have more options than a ship like the Gem.

There will almost certainly be 3?main dining rooms and it will have o'Sheehans rather than Blue Lagoon. The other restaurants mentioned above will all be there.

I'm sure there will be restaurants where the likes of Food Republic, Pinchos and Bayamo are, but they may be different.

Sounds like you already made your choice, but on the subject of beverage plans, there is a difference between non drinker and not a big drinker. For a seven night cruise you will pay 61.95 for the soda package with tip. The tip on the free beverage plan will be 99 for a 38 dollar difference. If you will have even four alcoholic drinks during the week you would be better taking the UBP.

2. Assuming you are not in the U.K.; so be aware that if you pick the UBP or the dining promo that you will have to pay a service charge on it. For UBP it comes out to around $14 pp pd.

Can you explain.

They charge 18% of the free drinks package and it comes out at $14 pppd?

We are in the UK, and i don't see anything about service charge being added in the small print. for uk purchasers is it included in teh package,

or are you talking about buying the package, which i can then understand it gets an 18% added.

same with the dinning promo, does that require a service charge when given as a free promo?

Can you explain.

They charge 18% of the free drinks package and it comes out at $14 pppd?

We are in the UK, and i don't see anything about service charge being added in the small print. for uk purchasers is it included in teh package,

or are you talking about buying the package, which i can then understand it gets an 18% added.

same with the dinning promo, does that require a service charge when given as a free promo?

The service charges are charged on free promos, but only in the US. In the U.K., the free promos are truly free.

I don't know specifically what is going to be on the bliss. On the jade there were 2 main dining rooms, blue lagoon (most ships have o'sheehans instead) and jasmine garden that were complimentary. For the dining package - cagney's, Le bistro, la cucina, teppanyaki, and moderno are included for free. At the a la cartes you can have 1 main and as much of everything else for free. Other specialty dining options incur an upcharge to use your dining credit.

Teppanyaki looks like a fun restaurant.

If looking at restaurants then the Escape is probably the best ship to look at for a guide.

I'm sure there will be some differences, but the Bliss will have more options than a ship like the Gem.

There will almost certainly be 3?main dining rooms and it will have o'Sheehans rather than Blue Lagoon. The other restaurants mentioned above will all be there.

I'm sure there will be restaurants where the likes of Food Republic, Pinchos and Bayamo are, but they may be different.

This is helpful. Thank you. I wonder when any info on the ship will be released.

1-cabin location: we prefer to be near the elevators and stairs. Only once have we had much noise; that was when we had a family down the hall with about 4 kids and it was thankgiving time. Even then it wasn't a bother at all. If you enjoy walking book futher away. We have reached a point in our lives where walking a long way can be a pain in the, well I guess the leg. :)

2-drink package: no coffee but yes, soft drinks, this is a personal matter. I have to say, if you are going to have more than 1 drink a day, it is still worth it.

3- reservations and quality of food: getting reservations for the exact time you want, after you board is getting more difficult, but if you are not particular about time, no problem. We book on line before cruising and then re-schedule after we board if we want to change times. MDR food is good to very good recently, but still no comparison to the special dining rooms. Favorite specialty dining: le Bistro, Modernos if you want a great salad bar and like meat and Cagney's.

I saw a video of the salad bar at Modernos and it looks great. I'm sure we will try that one night. We might try Cagney's too.