Royal Wifi Allowed iMessage on Harmony!

My husband and I just recently finished our cruise on Harmony this past Saturday, March 4th. I'm hoping to post a review later - we loved our cruise - but thought I would mention something interesting we discovered. We did not purchase an internet package for our cruise and we both had our iPhones in "airplane mode" the entire time. However, we were linked into Royal Wifi since we used the Royal IQ app throughout the week.

Even though we didn't have the internet package we were able to send and receive iMessages (not text messages) to each other as well as to family and friends off the ship. Nothing else worked using internet on our phones and we couldn't send pictures or anything, but we had no problem texting through iMessage. There must be enough wifi running the app and with the encryption of iMessages, somehow they get through. It was great being able to communicate with family/friends for free.

Yeah, back in January my friend was able to send texts but not images the whole week we were on Harmony with her iPhone. I have a Galaxy S7.... And was unable, although Facebook messages would come to me, I couldn't respond. How odd.

Sounds like the IT department had some paths to the internet open by mistake. Sort of like how they allow access to RC sites without a package.

Yes, this is exactly what we figured! It was a nice little benefit though, especially since our kids were at home with grandma and we could text with updates!

We only have iPhones so iMessages use wifi, we had our Royal WiFi on all the time for the Royal IQ app but could also use the iMessage app on our phones as well. I have never used an android phone so I'm afraid I can't be more helpful with that. If it just sends text messages using a phone carrier plan it wouldn't work if your phone was in airplane mode like ours was.

So, by using Royal IQ app linked into WiFi, you can send and receive iMessages. However, not on android phones. Is that correct?

The royal IQ app is different. You need wi-fi to connect to the Royal IQ which they allow for free. While on that wi-fi that allows you access to Royal IQ, it appears that the IT people have inadvertently allowed imessages (apple's alternative text) to get through it. I am not sure if android has a similar programs where it uses wi-fi instead of cellular data to send texts. In that same vein, fb messenger or skype texting or whatever, IF allowed, could go through. So basically, its an oversight on the ship, and not something fleetwide. If they can make you pay for wi-fi use, they will make you.

• 6 months later...

so airplane mode and iMessage will allow me ,wife, and 2 teens communicate on our iPhones?? That would be great! We were wondering how we'd communicate on a ship so large With them. We've been on 2 Disney cruises with them and they give you "wave phones" they worked very well.

so airplane mode and iMessage will allow me ,wife, and 2 teens communicate on our iPhones?? That would be great! We were wondering how we'd communicate on a ship so large With them. We've been on 2 Disney cruises with them and they give you "wave phones" they worked very well.

Apparently there is a "crack" in the security of the system on Harmony. You may or may not be able to exploit it. Good luck!

Download the Royal IQ app before you board the ship or before you leave the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums