Alaska Excursions

Sarahs mam

Hi, we are travelling to Alaska for the first time in July 2017 ( a party of 4) Can anyone advise me on excursions that can be booked pre cruise but not with the ship. We dock in Juneau and Ketchikan. We would appreciate any other helpful hints regarding Alaska. Thank you.

There are dozens of reports on this board with many options listed. Just do a search with the Port you are interested in.

Also, Trip Advisor is a great resource. Just look at Things To Do for the Ports you will be in.

Finally, a Google search of Shore Excursions with the Port name will give you hundreds of links to check.

There will also be tour operators outside on the dock booking tours. Sometimes they offer better prices in order to fill up partially booked tours. There will be whale watching, fishing, float planes....you name it. Basically, if the ship offers it, you can get it dockside.

I have several posts on different ports with excursion suggestions on my travel blog....www.zest4travel.wordpress.com We have sailed Alaska 10 times. There is also a packing list there.

There will also be tour operators outside on the dock booking tours. Sometimes they offer better prices in order to fill up partially booked tours. There will be whale watching, fishing, float planes....you name it. Basically, if the ship offers it, you can get it dockside.

I wondered about this - we generally do this on Caribbean cruises but didn't know if it happens in Alaska - we're cruising the 1st week of September.

Is there a decent selection of tour operators? Would hate to pull into port and find no one around........

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wondered about this - we generally do this on Caribbean cruises but didn't know if it happens in Alaska - we're cruising the 1st week of September.

Is there a decent selection of tour operators? Would hate to pull into port and find no one around........

You will not find a plethora of vendors at the dock in every port looking for your money. Not all excursions will be represented and the most popular ones may be sold out. If you know of an excursion you want to do you should book it as soon as you can.

In Ketchikan, I have the operator of the flight for my bear tour "pencil me in" in January 2016 for my July 2017 trip. (He said it was too early to book for 2017 that far out.)

When he got the permits (the bear viewing area has daily limits on how many people can visit) in October 2016 (probably well before other people even booked their cruise), he sent us an e-mail and then we paid in full for our July 2017 trip.

Many other option are not as limited so booking early may not be an issue, but if it is important to you, then I would book it as early as possible.

We have always found plenty of tour operators waiting outside on the docks. That being said...if there is something that will make or break the trip for you, book it either through the cruise line or find an independent operator. TripAdvisor has lots of good suggestions (by the way...they own cruise critic now. :) )

Hi, we are travelling to Alaska for the first time in July 2017 ( a party of 4) Can anyone advise me on excursions that can be booked pre cruise but not with the ship. We dock in Juneau and Ketchikan. We would appreciate any other helpful hints regarding Alaska. Thank you.

Almost any excursion can be booked independently. Just go on their WEB sites or call them. However, you are probably too late for the good ones at this time.

DON

you can go to your ships shore excursion page. look for the tours you like and see if there is a video of that excursion. You can find the name of tour operator and book directly with them. I did this for Ketchikan and Juneau

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Thank you for taking the time to reply - all answers are very helpful.

Does anyone take evening wear for Alaska ie tuxedo/long dress? Coming from the UK we normally enjoy dressing up - can you advise.

Thank you